Team Wendy Pads Love Affair...

Mr Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3404 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

@Majordave - even in warmer weather the TW's are still pretty firm pads in comparison to other types/brands.  My experience is that washing does not soften them up, they soften a bit as the temperature rises but not dramatically so.

I have a set of the original TW's (with the sewn label, probably 3 or 4 seasons old) and a newer set purchased last year and the newer ones were noticeably firmer, so they do soften a bit with use and/or time, at least that's my conclusion.

I got a new mask this season and put All Star LUC pads in it - they feel like soft pillows compared to the TW's.  Wearing that mask for the first time tonight if it doesn't rain enough to cancel my game.

I still like the TW's but I have backed off of my previous statements that I will not wear a mask without them.

I really like the All Star LUC's. So far they haven't let me down. I wish that All Star would make them in a tan similar to the TW tan color. They limit umps to just the black.

• Like 1

I already know how most of you will react, but here goes, I put some navy LUC pads in my silver diamond with a navy Wilson harness. I like the look and have started using the LUC padding more and more. I have the black TW'S in my grey dyna-lite right now, a mask I don't wear often. I took the tan TW'S out of my fm 2000 and put the LUC's back in. my fm 4000 has black LUC pads also. just like the all stars better.

• Like 1

I already know how most of you will react, but here goes, I put some navy LUC pads in my silver diamond with a navy Wilson harness. I like the look and have started using the LUC padding more and more. I have the black TW'S in my grey dyna-lite right now, a mask I don't wear often. I took the tan TW'S out of my fm 2000 and put the LUC's back in. my fm 4000 has black LUC pads also. just like the all stars better.

Pictures?

I've been interested in the TW's for a while but never pulled the trigger yet.  I have the stock NIKE Pads in my Ti and absolutely love them!

They conform to my face and even in cold weather, one inning and they are perfect!

I've taken shots and really never felt much.  Also I figure if that many MLB Catchers are using them day in and day out, they have to be pretty protective.

Anyone use both the NIKE and TW's?  Comparison?

Ok...after all this stiff talk I decided to use my TW's today as a test case. Normally I would of went all black with my plate coat which would of meant the Wilson Wraps but I switched at the last minute to the TW tan/black frame. The temperature in beautiful Chicago (suburbs) was very 40 degrees, cool, over cast and the pads were in my car for three days.....I truly only noticed stiffness in the first inning...by the third they had formed the shape of my chin and were not stiff but pliable.....in the ninth they were soft....not 90 degree with sweat soft but still soft.....I wear my mask firm or kinda tight to my face...didn't take any shots (too early for that crap lol)....Sunday I got a college DH and the temp is suppose to be 60 degrees and very sunny...I will take the early noon game as to have the optimum weather / softness and try to compare for all to this colder day....

It took an 1 1/2 innings for me to find out if I like my iX3 with tan TW's. I took a foul ball heater almost straight on. My first thought was wow, the 2nd I thought was that my ears where not ringing like my HSM did to me. It barely made any noise I fixed my mask and kept rockin!

• Like 1

Happy and sad to report that two nine inning plates of pretty bad NAIA baseball and nary a nibble of a ball to my mask.  My cup, my CP (x2), my shins (multiple) and my toes (multiple) are wearing the battle scars of baseballs but not my mask.  It was cool, 40s yesterday, 50s today and windy to my face both days from the north and northwest and the cloth covering of the Team Wendy's pads were nice on my face.  Not a chance of sweat either.  I guess the jury is still out.  I am used to them but not sure about the flash to bang feeling when I get hit.  I will keep using them until I get punked in the face again and reserve judgment.

Anyone had the +POS Super ultralight leather doeskin pads (black)?  See link below.  If so, will they fit a Wilson or Diamond mask?  The SUL is the plastic/nylon frame that +POS sold in the past.  OR, does anyone have a line of Wilson traditional doeskin tan pads with MLB logo on the velcro tab at chin pad?

http://pluspos.com/Web/productdetail.aspx?ProductID=85

post-34-0-29276400-1396131140_thumb.jpg

Here you go Majordave Sir, http://www.refereescall.com/proddetail.php?prod=BB421. If I find them anywhere else, I will post another link. They are expensive, but I think its what you are looking for.

Here is another one I just found selling mask pads only 39.00  http://refandsport.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=145.

Here you go Majordave Sir, http://www.refereescall.com/proddetail.php?prod=BB421. If I find them anywhere else, I will post another link. They are expensive, but I think its what you are looking for.
That link says the pads are wrap-arounds...and it's a mask, Dave's looking for non-wrap-around Wilson pads Sent using Tapatalk

@midtnump

Thanks! The Fleming's Ref and Sport photo of the deerskin traditional pads is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm going to call them on Monday and hope they have two in stock.

The wraparound style I have in two tone but I do not like the wraparounds. Had three different types and just didn't like them. Still have Black and Tan style if anyone is interested.

You are welcome.  Truly my pleasure.  Now, after thinking about it yesterday, and sleeping on it overnight, then waking up with it still on my mind....

My backup mask is the Diamond iX3 (I think), aircraft aluminum silver, bars are like the letter D with flat side to face and curved portion outward away from face.  Full or traditional curve shape.

My main mask is the New-View shape Wilson Titanium.  I now want, for some reason, to go back to the New-View shape in black for a backup mask.  My first mask was the Wilson A3077 Chrome-Moliben New-View and I now want another as a back up to the Titanium New-View.

Anyone have one and want to trade?  I have Black/tan wraparound pads or the original Diamond mesh pads to go with it.

Don't you guys just love the camaraderie and commerce this site attracts and promotes?  I do.

Here is another one I just found selling mask pads only 39.00  http://refandsport.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=145.

On the second website (Ref and Sport), they changed the picture on the website. Is it still the non-wrap around pads? According to the picture posted on the site, it's still the wrap around pads because they are bigger on the mask.

Unfortunately they had the wrong pic on the site. They only have wraps. Picture showed traditional.

I'm considering either +POS tan or Honigs tan calf traditional pads now. Any thoughts on comparison.between the two? Honigs look very squarish and structured while +POS seem rounder and softer.

@majordave: I have multiple sets of Honigs and Pluspos leather pads and the best I can tell you is that each company has given me two different types of pads when I have ordered the same item. From both honigs and +pos I have received a more structured set of pads and on another order a more squishy less structured one the next when ordering the same item. So I don't know what you want but they must both be available. The one main difference I have seen between the two is that honigs has a more structured shape that is more like a capital U where both unstructured versions from honigs and pluspos as well as the structured version from pluspos is shaped more like a laid down ). Hope this helps and makes some sense. I would place them in this order:

1. Structured capital U Honigs

2. Structured +pos

3. Squishy unstructured +pos

4. Squishy unstructured honigs

My new rig....Dark Grey Wilson Dyna Lite (Limited Edition) with Black Team Wendy's Pads......I like it much better with the TW's than with the two tone pads Wilson sent.....

My new rig....Dark Grey Wilson Dyna Lite (Limited Edition) with Black Team Wendy's Pads......I like it much better with the TW's than with the two tone pads Wilson sent.....
  • Like 1

MLB harness?

Right now I still have the Wilson harness but I want to switch to the Honigs...unless....the MLB one is better. Where can I find the MLB harness?

What do you use and or recommend Majordave? I like all my stuff kinda snug yet the barnes needs to have some elastic movement to it yet not too much a year later....