New Bat Rule Drama

UMP45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4732 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know the season is young but does anyone have any horror stories about the new bat rule? Had a game this week whre a kid hit a homerun. When he made contact the bat sounded dead. When DC hears this he comes out of the dugout. My partner and I look at the bat and it has SPLIT from handle to barrel. If this had happend last year the coach would have never moved from his seat in the dugout.:HS

First games today, no horror stories. The bat you had that split sounds like a cold bat, nothing more.

At our state meetings one umpire said he doubted we would see many composites. :WTF First dugout, at least nine or ten.

As PU last weekend in a JUCO game, we had a bat completely snap at the handle just above the batter's hands. He hit it off the handle and the rest of the bat just kind of rolled out in front of the plate and he grounded out. Had never seen that happen before.

HS game yesterday.

Both teams had bats that were not BBCOR certified.

When asked for approved list both coaches pulled out the list and helped me quickly identify the bats on the approved list.

Piece of cake.

• Like 1

Had a HS game a couple nights ago where one team complained about an illegal bat. We asked both coaches for a list. Neither coach had one.

We let the bat play. The team only got 1 hit the whole game with that bat. But we kept getting grief about it.

After the game we had a parent come to where we were park and was giving is grief. And told us we were poor umpires.

Had a HS game a couple nights ago where one team complained about an illegal bat. We asked both coaches for a list. Neither coach had one.

We let the bat play. The team only got 1 hit the whole game with that bat. But we kept getting grief about it.

After the game we had a parent come to where we were park and was giving is grief. And told us we were poor umpires.

I think you have to consider a bat illegal unless proven legal. As they didn't have the approved list perhaps you should have considered it illegal.

• Like 2

First, you should have the list. However, in your case, if it a composite then they should prove it is legal.

We were told by the state Interp that the coach is responsible to have the list.

• Like 1

First, you should have the list. However, in your case, if it a composite then they should prove it is legal.

We were told by the state Interp that the coach is responsible to have the list.

You need a current list. Get it yourself. It's the ONLY way to keep from getting in trouble if a coach has an official, but out of date list. Or an altered list.

We carry the list of approved BESR composite bats. There's only 11 to worry about, if a composite BESR bat isn't on the list it's getting removed from play.I had 2 bats questioned in 3 games last week - one was OK and one was renmovd from play before the batter got to the plate. No drama though.

Product Name

Model Number Length

DeMarini CF4 (-3)

CFB10, CFB11 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Vendetta C6 (-3)

VCB10, VCB11 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Combat

B1AB2 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Combat

B1AB2-R 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Combat

B2AB1 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CBXD 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CBXT 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CB81C 33“

Louisville Slugger

CB83 33â€

This the list that can be copied and reduced a little so it fits in your wallet.

Product Name

Model Number Length

DeMarini CF4 (-3)

Vendetta C6 (-3)

Combat

Combat

Combat

Louisville Slugger

CBXD 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CBXT 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CB81C 33“

Louisville Slugger

CB83 33â€

This the list that can be copied and reduced a little so it fits in your wallet.

The list on the NHFS has about 40 composite bats that are legal.

Here is the list:

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155

Product Name

Model Number Length

DeMarini CF4 (-3)

Vendetta C6 (-3)

Combat

Combat

Combat

Louisville Slugger

CBXD 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CBXT 31, 32, 33, or 34â€

Louisville Slugger

CB81C 33“

Louisville Slugger

CB83 33â€

The list on the NHFS has about 40 composite bats that are legal.

Here is the list:

http://www.nfhs.org/...nt.aspx?id=4155

The website has a picture and listing for the same bat at all legal lengths. Look carefully though because some bats are only legal at certain lengths.

California (CIF) has directed that HC must have list with CIF logo on it.

Any other document is worthless.

California has it's own set of rules so ignor what I am saying.

Jax, there is 30 on my list. I will look at the link but I suspect it is the same.

As suspected, it is the same.

Now that is just downright silly. The rule says a BESR composite has to be on the waiver list. BBCOR anything is legal, composite or alloy. Why carry a ton of lists that don't prove or disprove anything. I have been told there are a few composites that aren't on the approved nor the disapproved list. So what, it isn't on the waiver list so it isn't legal.

Now you have to do what your state says, even if it is needless.

California (CIF) has directed that HC must have list with CIF logo on it.

Any other document is worthless.

California has it's own set of rules so ignor what I am saying.

Jax, there is 30 on my list. I will look at the link but I suspect it is the same.

As suspected, it is the same.

I think the pictures made it look like it was longer

Absolutely, it looks very intimidating. It is only four companies that have waivers, DeMarini, Combat, Louisville Slugger and Vendetta. When checking bats if you have a composite that isn't one of the four companies then you don't need the list. If it is then check it. The only clich is I am told, and I don't know for sure, that there is a bat that is on the list but the model number isn't on the bat. I am not allowing it just because the bat maker wasn't smart enough mark their bats. When you print the pictures they aren't big enough to see the markings, so I am discounting anything not clearly marked.

What NCHSAA told us to do was to check all bats & helmets as normal before the game, but not for the compliance with BESR/BBCOR. That responsibility lies with the coaches. We only get involved when a bat is questioned. By direction of our association we have modified the "legally and properly equipped" question asked at the plate conference to end with "this also includes bats". So far no major issues, I believe that after some initial confusion and ignorance, the issue will take care of itself as the season progresses.

What NCHSAA told us to do was to check all bats & helmets as normal before the game, but not for the compliance with BESR/BBCOR. That responsibility lies with the coaches. We only get involved when a bat is questioned. By direction of our association we have modified the "legally and properly equipped" question asked at the plate conference to end with "this also includes bats". So far no major issues, I believe that after some initial confusion and ignorance, the issue will take care of itself as the season progresses.

So you're only checking for what then - length, drop, and diameter? Not looking for the BESR or BBCOR stamp? WHY?

He!!, NASCAR inspects the cars because they know they just might not meet specs - all of them.

I guess we'll just believe the athletes when they say the don't do PEDs. Why do all those expensive tests?

Cop asks driver "Have you been drinking" and the driver sas no we just let the driver continue on?

"I was only going 40 officer". OK, have a nice day.

Rich - we are specifically checking for damage and alteration to the bats as well as correct drop and visible certification stamp. We have been instructed to leave the compliance of the composite bats to the coaches by the state association - if one is questioned during the game we will inspect it for compliance at that point.

As I always say, do what the state or local assoc says. I think they are sending you down a bad path. Fed says inspecting equipment 5 minutes before game time is our job. That inspection should include checking helmets, catchers mask and bats. Checking bats means making sure any nonwood bat have a BESR or BBCOR silk screen. If it is a composite and has a BESR mark we need to check it against the list. I'm not sure what NC is doing is correct but you have to do as instructed.