Do you verbalize "Infield Fly"?

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3926 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

KLAH,

At what level do you stop verbalizing "Infield Fly" and just use the visual mechanic??

No level I've ever called (which is up through NCAA DIII).

Of course, it seems like no one ever hears you anyway, so I'm not sure it's a big deal.....

JM

• Like 1

Ok, here is the reason I ask....

Middle School Varsity, 1st round of the playoffs....

I'm in C, R1-R2 1 out.

IFF around the 3B line.... I glance in at my partner to try to get a sense of Fair/Foul.  He just does the ol' mechanic and doesn't say anything.  Therefore, I just give the mechanic. 

Well, guess what happens..... The damn F6 drops the ball and the fun starts.  Both runners take off, R2 hits 3B, F6 throws to F4 who doesn't tag R1 just the bag.  I call SAFE, R2 scores. 

VM comes unglued at my partner.... He is telling VM that at this level of Baseball, everyone should know the rules and the visual mechanic is all you get.  Partner calls me over and of course I back him and say the same thing.   

<Reality is I didn't verbalize it because from my angle, I wan't sure>  :shrug:

We get everyone situated, and continue the game......  VT eventually came back from a 9-0 defecit and won 14-11.

Post game with my partner, he said again that anything above 12u he NEVER verbalizes it. 

On my way home, I call my regular partner and he's sort of half and half on it. 

Therefore, I bring it here.

I always verbalize it and state 'if fair' if it is on the line. I don't do any mechanic until the ball is on the way down, to be sure that it is really an IF.

I agree, no one ever hears it, but I always say it.

You should be saying "Infield fly IF FAIR!"

I have always said it when I am PU...... I always assumed that if Fair/Foul  was in question when im in B/C, it's the PU responsibility.

You are sure it was a fly that could be caught with reasonable effort and you are sure it was at least close to the line so you should have verbalized it.

The question / discussion is still good though.

You should be saying "Infield fly IF FAIR!"

I have always said it when I am PU...... I always assumed that if Fair/Foul  was in question when im in B/C, it's the PU responsibility.

As BU, you should still call the IFF in a potential fair/foul situation.  It will be PU's responsibility to rule on fair/foul, but if he forgets to call IFF and you didn't call it because you thought he should have, then problems could ensue.

At what level do you stop verbalizing "Infield Fly" and just use the visual mechanic??

Telepathic baseball.

I'm with everyone else. Always verbalize. If near the line, "IFF if fair!"

You don't wait to determine fair/foul to announce IFF. You've discovered why. ;)

I'm in C, R1-R2 1 out.

IFF around the 3B line.... I glance in at my partner to try to get a sense of Fair/Foul.  He just does the ol' mechanic and doesn't say anything.  Therefore, I just give the mechanic. 

Well, guess what happens..... The damn F6 drops the ball and the fun starts.  Both runners take off, R2 hits 3B, F6 throws to F4 who doesn't tag R1 just the bag.  I call SAFE, R2 scores. 

VM comes unglued at my partner.... He is telling VM that at this level of Baseball, everyone should know the rules and the visual mechanic is all you get.  Partner calls me over and of course I back him and say the same thing.   

We get everyone situated, and continue the game......  VT eventually came back from a 9-0 defecit and won 14-11.

Post game with my partner, he said again that anything above 12u he NEVER verbalizes it. 

At that level, nobody should ever "come unglued"

Good reminder why I despise working youth baseball. (not a knock on youth baseball, it is just very difficult to work due to poor coach/fan conduct)

I'm in C, R1-R2 1 out.

At that level, nobody should ever "come unglued"

Good reminder why I despise working youth baseball. (not a knock on youth baseball, it is just very difficult to work due to poor coach/fan conduct)

I hdespise hobby coaches.

Always call infield fly. If your partner is stuttering around and forgets to call it that doesn't mean you shouldn't call it. You may not be able to see fair/foul, but you can certainly see ordinary effort by an infielder. 

was your partner arguing that his presence was