Evans Case OK to Move to 'Discovery Phase' .....

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If Evans does win and is again a source of students for PBUC evaluation, I would hope those students would get an equal chance to be placed into MiLB jobs as those from Wendelstedt and TUS.

He won't. In the limited amount I've seen on this case, I think his legal team is trying to reverse the premises behind the scrutiny of exclusive dealings. They are scrutinized because of the relative economic power a vendor generally has over a consumer. However, in this case, he is the vendor, so the proscriptions of the Clayton Act don't apply (at least, historically.) I could be wrong and they are examining another anti-trust issue, but I think the signs are pointing to this argument, that if the consumer has the relative economic power, then scrutiny of exclusive dealings attaches to them.

In the end, a consumer (PBUC/MiLB) still can choose its vendors, but a vendor cannot dictate that a consumer choose its product.