ya gotta love the dead ball appeal in HS !!

D62 blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4047 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

worked a gm yesterday , visiting team beating up the home team . R1, B6 2 outs , B6 hits HR , i watch all the touch of R1 then of B6 , i usually stand point of plate in fair about half way between mound and plate , i watch R1 touch home , here comes  B6  , as excepted the team comes out to the plate for the high fives ect... . i watch B6 jump over the plate , completely missing , i then notice the defense (home team)  start to act and make some motions . a coach saw what he did , HC wants to appeal but isnt quite sure how to go about this , at first they were going to try and get the ball to the pitcher (on the rubber) , throw to F2 ect....

I say "coach what do you want to do" ? a couple times , finally he says " i want to appeal he missed the plate " , "OK coach yes he did , B6 is out on appeal that was third out inning over . remember this was a HR , dead ball ,don't even have a ball . here comes the other coach now , cant believe what just happened ? after an explanation and some arguing , we play on  . love that dead ball appeal in HS don't need a ball , all you need is just to ask (when dead ball). BTW  R1 scores still , this is a timing play !!!

the visiting team still won anyway .

marc

You want to make that call?  Enjoy the s*&t sandwich.  For me to call that, on a home run, he's got to peel off halfway down the 3rd base line.

In this case, if he's gonna score, he's gonna score. 

It's one of the cheapest rules in all of Federation.  The kids (and the coach) need to learn to properly appeal, to prepare them for baseball with REAL rules.  I hate that rule, but I'm willing to enforce it....but I'll never help a coach understand that he has that option.  Friggin' NFHS, and the rules they choose to screw with.   :smachhead:

• Like 2

You want to make that call?  Enjoy the s*&t sandwich.  For me to call that, on a home run, he's got to peel off halfway down the 3rd base line.

Why let the dummy off the hook? That said, I would have to be absolutely, positively, 100% certain that he missed to make the call. My guess, knowing Marc, is that he was certain of the miss.

Why let the dummy off the hook? That said, I would have to be absolutely, positively, 100% certain that he missed to make the call. My guess, knowing Marc, is that he was certain of the miss.

Bam would you make that call if it is was a tight game in the 7th inning? Would you want that call if your son's team was going to lose the State Championship game on that run? We aren't here to make the rules we enforce the rules. That is our job. If the kid missed home you have to call it. That being said, you better be 100% sure he missed the plate.

Bam would you make that call if it is was a tight game in the 7th inning? Would you want that call if your son's team was going to lose the State Championship game on that run? We aren't here to make the rules we enforce the rules. That is our job. If the kid missed home you have to call it. That being said, you better be 100% sure he missed the plate.

Make a routine call on a routine play.  The hitter gained no advantage by missing the plate.  Why waste an unusual call on a routine play?  This is a case of making the right call at the wrong time. 

I don't really get the argument that I'm cheating the kids (you must know by now how I feel about them), or that or that I'm putting myself above the rules.  There are a bunch of arguments you could make.  Fine.  The batter beat the pitcher on this play.  It's not a hard sell to say he touched the plate when his whole team is out there. 

Make a routine call on a routine play.  The hitter gained no advantage by missing the plate.  Why waste an unusual call on a routine play?  This is a case of making the right call at the wrong time. 

I don't really get the argument that I'm cheating the kids (you must know by now how I feel about them), or that or that I'm putting myself above the rules.  There are a bunch of arguments you could make.  Fine.  The batter beat the pitcher on this play.  It's not a hard sell to say he touched the plate when his whole team is out there. 

I would say it is a hard sell. Someone on the field saw him miss home or why would they appeal?

It's one of the cheapest rules in all of Federation.  The kids (and the coach) need to learn to properly appeal, to prepare them for baseball with REAL rules.  I hate that rule, but I'm willing to enforce it....but I'll never help a coach understand that he has that option.  Friggin' NFHS, and the rules they choose to screw with.   :smachhead:

I don't really get the angst over this to be honest. For the vast majority of the kids, HS ball is as high as they're getting. For those talented enough to continue, I'm sure they'll adjust. 

That would be a good rule change -- on a home run, no need to run the bases, just count the runs.

Until then, enforce the rule.  And, I don't get the impression that the umpire needed to be a detective to figure out that the runner misse the plate.  Might not have been 1/2 way up the baseline as you suggest, but I'm sure it was obvious to anyone paying attention (like the defense).

• Like 1

And, I don't get the impression that the umpire needed to be a detective to figure out that the runner misse the plate. 

I'm no detective and I don't play one on TV, but that's a call I really don't want a part of. 

We make up our rules as we go, as I see it.  Two balls off the plate in LL?  Strike.  The neighborhood play at 2d?  Out.  The flinch on the pitcher?  No balk. 

It's all about where we choose to draw our lines. 

On this type of play, that runner will miss the plate by less than what I'm giving the pitcher on the outside corner.

In the end, I have no problem with my partner making that call.  It's just that I'm not making that call. 

• Like 1

You want to make that call? Enjoy the s*&t sandwich. For me to call that, on a home run, he's got to peel off halfway down the 3rd base line. In this case, if he's gonna score, he's gonna score.
Make a routine call on a routine play. The hitter gained no advantage by missing the plate. Why waste an unusual call on a routine play? This is a case of making the right call at the wrong time. I don't really get the argument that I'm cheating the kids (you must know by now how I feel about them), or that or that I'm putting myself above the rules. There are a bunch of arguments you could make. Fine. The batter beat the pitcher on this play. It's not a hard sell to say he touched the plate when his whole team is out there.
I would say it is a hard sell. Someone on the field saw him miss home or why would they appeal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same reasson some rats appeal on every tag up. Fishing for a call. Pretty soon he'll get one to go his way.

As far as the OP, I neither agree nor disagree with the call. Your game/your field. I would, however, take exception to how you led HC by the hand into the appeal. He obviously didn't know how to do it. Why show him?

• Like 1

That would be a good rule change -- on a home run, no need to run the bases, just count the runs.

Until then, enforce the rule.  And, I don't get the impression that the umpire needed to be a detective to figure out that the runner misse the plate.  Might not have been 1/2 way up the baseline as you suggest, but I'm sure it was obvious to anyone paying attention (like the defense).

----------------------

Nice job, Marc.

Each runner shall touch the bases in order... one of the objects of the game, if I recall. I believe it's part of my job to watch for it. If a runner misses one, and the DT appeals, I'm not gonna' tell them that I don't feel like calling it today, or worse yet, lie and say I didn't see it. If see a runner miss a base or home, and if the appeal comes via any rules set, I'm going to honor it. Maybe next time, the players will do what they see on TV and stay clear until the HR guy touches... and just like we all see, the PU or BU trying to get a good angle to see the touch. It's not a judgement call. (Coach: "Blue, he missed the plate." Blue: "Aw, he was close enough. Let's Play!"   .......Really?....)

----------------------

Nice job, Marc.

Each runner shall touch the bases in order... one of the objects of the game, if I recall. I believe it's part of my job to watch for it. If a runner misses one, and the DT appeals, I'm not gonna' tell them that I don't feel like calling it today, or worse yet, lie and say I didn't see it. If see a runner miss a base or home, and if the appeal comes via any rules set, I'm going to honor it. Maybe next time, the players will do what they see on TV and stay clear until the HR guy touches... and just like we all see, the PU or BU trying to get a good angle to see the touch. It's not a judgement call. (Coach: "Blue, he missed the plate." Blue: "Aw, he was close enough. Let's Play!"   .......Really?....)

This thread has gone far enough off course. 

This is the last from me.  We decide what's "close enough" in all sorts of situations.  I wasn't there, so I don't know how badle he missed the plate.  It's been my experience that when a gut misses the plate on a HOME RUN(!) it's by very, very little.  That's close enough for me in this situation...

No league probably executes a live ball appeal properly.  They ALL go to the mound, do the gymnastics and appeal.  

I try to explain to them that as long as the ball is still live, you don't have to do that.  They all disagree.  

:shrug: 

Is it uncommon to not disallow the BR's team to come out on a HR? I've been instructed to keep all players in the dugout on a HR from college guys. 

Keep them in the dugout I agree.

Keep them in the dugout I agree.

Is it uncommon to not disallow the BR's team to come out on a HR? I've been instructed to keep all players in the dugout on a HR from college guys. 

At the least, several feet away from the plate. "Stay off the dirt, please."

----------------------

Nice job, Marc.

This thread has gone far enough off course. 

This is the last from me.  We decide what's "close enough" in all sorts of situations.  I wasn't there, so I don't know how badle he missed the plate.  It's been my experience that when a gut misses the plate on a HOME RUN(!) it's by very, very little.  That's close enough for me in this situation...

Whoa.....................HANG ON JUST ONE MINUTE ....

It's a HR ....YOU are on the stick, ...it's YOUR responsibility to watch him touch the plate, and (as Marc said) HE MISSED IT, and then the defense starts 'moving' OBVIOUSLY telling you that THEY saw it too!!   You're going to let that go?!?!?  WOW

• Like 1

The college rule requires the players to stay back on the warning track in front of the dugout.  It used to require them to stay off the dirt around home.  The penalty is a warning and then an ejection.

I have been taught/trained especially as PU , IT IS MY JOB to make sure the runner(s) all touch home . i will stand there and watch until all runner(s) have touched  . In this situation he jumped completely over the plate , not even close . I have seen runner(s) barely catch the plate , but good enough to get the benefit . Not this time though , to obvious , and someone on the defense could see it as well . Later in this game the home team had a runner come home (no play being made) and slide , missing the plate , the kid not realizing this , got up and took a few steps towards the dug out , then i hear the head coach yell "TOUCH THE PLATE " !!

MARC