Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3835 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

20 years ago, I was using a +POS BB203 Royal in all levels from 10U-D1 and I took plenty of shots off of it. The +POS protector was simply foam surrounded by the outer layer. The Unequal has Kevlar plates inside the ribs instead of the foam. The +POS had a larger throat padding, as compared to the Unequal. Shoulder protection between the two are similar.

Taking into experience my military service, the bullet proof vests had Kevlar plates that covered your chest and your back. The plates are designed to absorb the shock of a bullet and disperse the impact across the plate. I can tell you that when a soldier was shot, the impact of the bullet would knock him on his ass, and his chest was sore, but he was still alive. That being said, a bullet travels much faster, has a significantly higher velocity than a baseball, and the contact patch of the bullet is far smaller than a baseball, which means the transfer of energy is greater with the bullet than a baseball. With this understanding, I am confident that the Unequal will hold up against a foul ball, or wild pitch.  What many don't want to admit is that having an improper stance behind the catcher minimizes your protection. The chances of injury increase when the protector is not held square to the impact path. So no protector will offer you total protection if your stance is not correct. Also, each protector has a soft spot on it, that under Murphy's, the ball will find.

I have watched the Jim Evans video and have to admit that when Jim came out from the impact, he seemed to be in a hurry, almost like he was trying to deflect possible pain. If so, how much, I don't know. We won't ever know unless it gets out from Jim himself. I understand the sketicism, and I'm not dismissing anyone's concerns. I'll give it a chance and fairly report what I find. I'll be curious to see what protectors umpires have at Wendelstedt's Umpire School, how many show up with Unequal's, and what the staff there has to say about them. I'll try to take note and report back what I find. It is a curious note that no major league umpire is using one. I have no idea about the MiLB umpires.

Bottom line: I'll try it. I purchased a Wilson Platinum just in case as a back-up, reinforced with a Team Wendy Retrofit, which is being processed right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hit on three different occasions/games on my Unequal CP during JUCO Fall Ball so far.  One was a ball that glanced off the bat and into my upper chest region, one off my shoulder, which hit the plastic and lastly...one where the catcher got crossed up by the pitcher, barely getting his catcher's mitt on the ball and striking me pretty square in the chest.  I will say that the ball that hit the plastic on my shoulder was no different than getting hit on my West Vest...loud noise, but didn't feel a thing.  Having said that, I am still evaluating the Unequal.  

As Texas Manny so eloquently stated above, "Kevlar is meant to absorb the shock and disperse the impact across the plate (I too was also in the military)..."  I did "feel" the hits to the chest and I do remember being surprised, especially the pitch what crossed up the catcher.  I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but after initial impact, there was a slight sting but that dissipated almost as fast as it happened. There were no lingering feelings during the remainder of my games; meaning, I wasn't gun shy whatsoever, and I experienced no tenderness or bruising the next day.  In fact, I can confidently state I did not wake up the next morning feeling/knowing that I got hit with the ball.  

The reason I say I'm still evaluating the Unequal is because I believe you will feel the initial hit/shock/sting from the ball; just like I did.  The question for each of you is whether that initial shock is worth it.  If you do not feel any pain from any ball off your current CP, then I would say stick with it; because you will feel something with the Unequal.  mstaylor has some wise words when he stated:  "don't get rid of your "good" CP until you know you like the new one!"

Hope this helps.