Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3790 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On one of the plays Onora had at 1st, Iassogna was down the RF line and yelled at him "Good call!"  How often do we do that to our partners on a close or controversial call?  It epitomized the "Third Team" title.

If you look close, you can see Iassogna doing the "fist on fist" signal as well while yelling his support to O'Nora. 

SWMBO just laughed when she saw me watching it again today.  She (lovingly) called me a dork for watching it twice.  I didn't tell her it was actually the 3rd time :wacko:

• Like 2

Found it thanks. I hope this is a movement towards more shows geared to umpires.

As for the ejection show, I would have liked to see them show more of the actions that lead to the ejections.

Another downfall was the announcers. The majority of them were so biased it wasn't even funny. Like the one where Grienke got ejected for spiking the ball and the announcer said something along the lines of "he needs to get a clue, that's terrible umpiring." Come on, learn baseball before you get a job being an announcer please! The show also made me remember how much of a jerk Hawk is.

• Like 1

Found it thanks. I hope this is a movement towards more shows geared to umpires.

As for the ejection show, I would have liked to see them show more of the actions that lead to the ejections.

Another downfall was the announcers. The majority of them were so biased it wasn't even funny. Like the one where Grienke got ejected for spiking the ball and the announcer said something along the lines of "he needs to get a clue, that's terrible umpiring." Come on, learn baseball before you get a job being an announcer please! The show also made me remember how much of a jerk Hawk is.

I watched the EJ show, and all it did was raise my blood pressure, because of the know-it-all jackasses in the booth. That, and the behavior of some of the idiots on-field. Like Bobby Valentine. Oh yeah, and Bobby Valentine, too.

• Like 1

There are some good learning points in the ejection one though.  We need to be the calm ones when they're going nuts.  Even when Lowie threw his helmet at the umpire, he was still pretty darn cool.  

So true. Look how bad Davidson looks in the argument with Charlie Manuel.

• Like 1

MLB Network had the 25 best ejections of 2012 and they also had the top 50 (or whatever number) all time plays at the plate. I'm excited to edit these up and learn from them. [/quot

Johnny, both of the shows you mentioned were pretty good. I watched them on Friday. The one thing I noticed was how the mechanics for plays at the plate have changed. Look at how many swipe tags are taken by the PU on 1BLE in years past. That just shows that you never can stop learning

Call strikes...Pat

I was watching Clubhouse Confidential this morning, and noticed they were interviewing Gerry Davis. I only caught the last little bit of the interview, and then they talked to Larry Bowa about interacting with umpires.

Anyway, at the end of the Gerry Davis Segment, they put in a plug for a show called "The Third Team." It is supposed to be a behind the scenes with the Umpire Crew at the 2012 World Series. I think it airs on December 27th, at 7 p.m.

Just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else was interested in watching.

Craig

Can't believe I missed this thread.

It is on tonight (12/30) at 7 PM.  DVR all set!!

The Iassogna call on Prince at the plate, he mentioned not only watching Fielder, but how he "stays on Posey's hip. I know he'll take me to the play." Great teaching/learning point. And an absolutely spot on call. "Got you right there! BANG!"

• Like 2

Guys, it would please me greatly to share this DVD, but the friend of mine that made it asked me specifically NOT to redistribute it. I understand his concern. MLB made youtube pull the video of Joe West taking a pitch off his WVG cp. Noone is exempt from prosecution. Had I made the DVD myself, I wouldn't hesitate. However, I can't betray a trust. Hope you understand.

Im trying to load the pic but Im having trouble...In the meantime, did anyone catch the MLB logo flip flops when one of the umpires was tying his plate shoes? They were Reebok so they were from at least a few years ago but was wondering if they were retail or specially made for the big boys.  They would be convenient.