Honig's "New" Ball Bags

FranklinT
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4755 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recently ordered 2 new Honig's ball bags and noticed in the description:

"NEW FOR 2011 - Water repellent backing to reduce sweat soaking through!"

I recently received the order and picked them up and wore them on a belt - they are awful! The backing makes these so light they are like wearing paper ball bags! Anybody else tried these and have any opinions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they like a knock off of the Dy-Los?

It appears so and they are $6 cheaper. The new Honig's bags have a very very very very thin layer on the back of the bag. Maybe it is polyester? Not sure. I have never seen the Dry Lo bags in person but I cant imagine they are anywhere near this poor of quality They dont even hang properly when worn because they are so thin and flimsy - they bunch up. The difference between my old Honig's ball bags and these are night and day. Honig's quality and products have fallen very very very far in the last few years.

Id gladly pay $7 more for the Ultimate bag from Jim Kirk that is made in the USA (Honig's is made in China).

I have not seen the new Honig's bags, but the DryLo bags are great. I prefer over the Ultimate. I have a hard time getting my hand in the opening of the ultimate, but the quality is top notch.

I have yet to see the ultimate ball bags. I still am using the first generation ball bags Buella made. They hold up like iron. But I dont like the elastic look. I will be in the hunt for new bags this spring. Just havent made up my mind yet. Something tells me I will be back at Ump-attire real soon. balls and strikes baby!!!

• 1 month later...

I have not seen the new Honig's bags, but the DryLo bags are great. I prefer over the Ultimate. I have a hard time getting my hand in the opening of the ultimate, but the quality is top notch.

HeySlo, we have added an alternative ball bag to deal with the issue some have had including yourself regarding the opening. It's a larger, tapered designed. You can read the background on the development of this product here if you would like:

http://umpattire.blogspot.com/2011/04/features-and-development-of-xl-ultimate.html

or see the product here:

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=U12-XL

I will check them out. Right now my current ones are doing great, but when my dry Los wears out in will givemyourmnew ones a whirl. The quality in then ultimates have always been top notch.

What is the need for a ballbag with a liner? Am I missing something?

In the summer, umpires sweat. This sweat, for some, can go through the umpire pants and onto the ball bag. The liner allows the baseballs to remain dry.

Personally, I don't sweat THAT much.

That's what I thought. I would like to suggest, to the ones that sweat though their slacks, try wearing long underwear. I have worn long underwear my whole career. And believe it or not it gets HOT in North Carolina! It won't make you any hotter then wearing tights. Plus they absorb more sweat.

I wear moisture wicking compression shorts and in those really hot humid days I can sweat through just about anything.

The need for these came from the CWS about 2 years ago when they were sending in balls from the benches because the ump had soaked the baseballs.

I wear moisture wicking compression shorts and in those really hot humid days I can sweat through just about anything.

The need for these came from the CWS about 2 years ago when they were sending in balls from the benches because the ump had soaked the baseballs.

Warren is right. I was at game one of the2009 CWS Championship Series between LSU and Texas and saw this phenomenon in person. Tony Maners was the plate umpire and he was soaked from head to toe in this game. His pants looked black from sweat. The only place they were still gray looking was in the front of his shinguards. By the fifth or sixth inning they had to throw the baseballs in from the dugouts as he couldn't keep the baseballs dry in his ball bags.

I was sweating profusely just sitting there in the stands as was everyone else that night. We all looked like a bunch of oily, sweaty, greasy pigs. It was something like 95 degrees at first pitch with 85% or more humidity in Omaha. I remember how hot it was and the need to throw the baseballs in more vividly than any specific plays during the game. It went 11 innings and was won by LSU, helluva ballgame.

I understand that in Florida and the deep south with all the heat and humidity (It's not the heat, its the humidity! grin) this type of ball bag with a waterproof lining is a necessity.

I have been close to this sweaty before as well while working a plate in Kentucky. BUT, in the games I got that way I was wearing the *NEW Ultimate Ball Bags from Ump-Attire with this lightweight waterproof lining and had no problems with sweaty (base)balls!

*personal testimonial: participant has not been remunerated for offering his opinion about Ump-Attire New Ultimate Ball Bags.

My two cents.......

HeySlo, we have added an alternative ball bag to deal with the issue some have had including yourself regarding the opening. It's a larger, tapered designed. You can read the background on the development of this product here if you would like:

http://umpattire.blo...l-ultimate.html

or see the product here:

http://www.ump-attir...uct_Code=U12-XL

I've a set on the way (should be here tomorrow). I will report on these soon unless someone else has some feedback.