Member Video: C. Brown's Plate Work

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

One of my favorite things on U-E is getting to watch video of some other members working games. So I figured I would throw some brief clips of me up here in hopes of motivating some others to do the same.

2 people like this

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Posted · Report post

NICE!!!!!!! :clap:

Where is that, and what level of play/tournament is that?

Posted · Report post

Look good.

Also that was a nice crowd watching the game!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I like them both, crisp and compact.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Dang... I thought that was me doing a game. I do my strikes and called third just like both of those. We must have gone to the same school! :beerbang

Posted · Report post

NICE!!!!!!! :clap:

Where is that, and what level of play/tournament is that?

It was strickly a showcase put together for scouts, so the players were mostly rising seniors. They used a AAA stadium for the event.

Posted · Report post

Also that was a nice crowd watching the game!

Well...it was a getaway day!

Posted · Report post

question.. in between pitches do you move... you called a strike in the 1st video, and your feet never moved after the call...In your area... Thompson is a fan of umpires standing up and releaxing for a sec in between pitches...

Posted · Report post

question.. in between pitches do you move... you called a strike in the 1st video, and your feet never moved after the call...In your area... Thompson is a fan of umpires standing up and releaxing for a sec in between pitches...

So his feet didn't move .......does that mean he's not relaxed?

Posted · Report post

It can make it look like hes not relaxed and I agree that an umpire shuold step back and then step into his stance just before the pitcher starts his delivery (and I say that having not seen the video)

Posted · Report post

No it doesnt.. but to an evaluator it might...and the big guy in his area... like for the PU to step back and relax a quick sec.

Posted · Report post

No it doesnt.. but to an evaluator it might...and the big guy in his area... like for the PU to step back and relax a quick sec.

Fair enough, ...interesting info there ;)

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the delayed reply. This was not any sort of eval type of scenario, and I was tired (over it?) at this point (Day 4 of the showcase) so no I didn't really move my feet between pitches. I just kind of "reset" based on where the F2 was setting up on the next pitch.

When getting looked at by TT or any other assignors/evaluators, I do make an effort to stand up, take a step back while the action is relaxed, getting back into my heel-instep position once the F1 resumes the pitchers plate. Following the "on the rubber-get set-call it! we all have heard 10,000x

I was being lazy in the clip....and deserved to be called out!

Posted · Report post

Ninja K.O.!

...I was tired (over it?) at this point...

You were having way too much fun to be tired =]

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting these.

Questions from me. Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I only ask, and I am not criticizing in any way, because I use to do the same thing, but now I never take my head/eyes away from the field. I make the strike call, but don't turn my head that way.

Secondly, I like your 3rd strike chainsaw, but notice you look down(or have your head facing down during that also).

Feel free to say I am nitpicking. I am, but I would be proud to work with you as I pick. :wave:

Posted · Report post

Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with your logic. Keeping your eyes forward is wise with runners on. I typically peek at a R3 to see what he is up to before turning my head. And I make sure to keep it facing forward when something like a steal play, possible BI, etc is going on. WHY I do it is just personal style I guess, but again I agree, especially when teaching newer umpires, that keeping eyes forward (esp in 2 man) is important.

Secondly, I like your 3rd strike chainsaw, but notice you look down(or have your head facing down during that also).

Yes, that is something I never noticed I did until I saw it on tape. Something to work on I suppose!

Thanks for the feedback, thats why I put it on here!

Posted · Report post

Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with your logic. Keeping your eyes forward is wise with runners on. I typically peek at a R3 to see what he is up to before turning my head. And I make sure to keep it facing forward when something like a steal play, possible BI, etc is going on. WHY I do it is just personal style I guess, but again I agree, especially when teaching newer umpires, that keeping eyes forward (esp in 2 man) is important.

Yes, that is something I never noticed I did until I saw it on tape. Something to work on I suppose!

Thanks for the feedback, thats why I put it on here!

I want to say because I forgot it, I did love that I could easily hear you from all the way back in section 207.

I seriously appreciate you doing this. I might ask a couple of my guys if we can do this for each other next year to help improve our game.

Posted · Report post

I would love to see video of myself so I can make adjustments/corrections. Maybe I'll bring a video cam and tripod to a game or 2. It's a great tool.

Posted · Report post

I would love to see video of myself so I can make adjustments/corrections. Maybe I'll bring a video cam and tripod to a game or 2. It's a great tool.

I agree. It can only help. I might do the same for one of my games in March. At least an innings worth.

Posted · Report post

There is not enough tape around to capture all the things you need to adjust. Better get a Terrabyte drive!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

There is not enough tape around to capture all the things you need to adjust. Better get a Terrabyte drive!

a WHAT??????
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

lol

Posted · Report post

lol

I don't play golf.

Posted · Report post

Jockisch and Danny-look forward to the videos!

Posted · Report post

Jockisch and Danny-look forward to the videos!

"Jocko", not Jockish... damn iPhone autocorrect!