MiLB Umpire Mario Seneca ejects Music Intern & PA announcer

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4273 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I got a good chuckle. Just not sure why none of the stories of the three list a rule that allows this ejection.

I detailed that here...

http://bleacherrepor...er-botched-call

Forget about the song ejection. The guy who wrote this article is a douche. :ranton: No respectable umpire will ever go into a game saying "How do I make myself a part of this game?" Do blown calls happen, yes but not nearly as often as a ball thrown away or a booted ground ball. Lay off the umpire for once. And BTW no one takes kindly to someone criticizing your proffesion thats a part of human nature, not umpires. :rantoff:

The intern said he didn't realize it would have been offensive. I know he is a college kid but how damn clueless can you get?

I go to school with some people that make you scratch your head and wonder about a lot of things, so I'm not surprised.

It is the PBUC Manual that outlaws this specifically - 3.24 discusses organists who are forbidden from playing in a manner that encourages spectators to react in a negative way to an umpire's decision.

Great move by by PU. However, IMO how he handled it leaves a lot to be desired. I think the preferred course of action would have been going over to the home dugout and instructing the manager to direct game day ops staff to go up to the press box and tell them to shut it down. But, this PU is probably about the same age as me and I know I have done some things on a field that do not align with the preferred course of action in the heat of the moment so I don't hold this against him the slightest.

I got a good chuckle. Just not sure why none of the stories of the three list a rule that allows this ejection.

I detailed that here...

http://bleacherrepor...er-botched-call

I am in the minority but I agree with the last paragraph of that article. I would have laughed my tail off.

When this guy has to fill out his ejection form to the league, what rule does he decide to place in there? 9.01 ( B), © or ? I think I have said before I don't agree with this call.

Updated. 3.24 in PBUC. My book stops at 3.18. I must be missing some pages.

Yes, he could have ignored it or laughed it off, but that essentially condones the behavior. It's similar to not calling a balk when a pitcher blows through a stop. It really doesn't effect you, but the next crew who comes in and does call it now has to clean up your mess. "But they've never called this before???"

I personally know Mario Seneca, and he is a fine umpire..........and knows his stuff in and out....he has served our state association as a volunteer clinican at our w. Pa Clinic........I support him and his call 100%........

• Like 1

The intern said he didn't realize it would have been offensive. I know he is a college kid but how damn clueless can you get?

I go to school with some people that make you scratch your head and wonder about a lot of things, so I'm not surprised.

It is the PBUC Manual that outlaws this specifically - 3.24 discusses organists who are forbidden from playing in a manner that encourages spectators to react in a negative way to an umpire's decision.

Great move by by PU. However, IMO how he handled it leaves a lot to be desired. I think the preferred course of action would have been going over to the home dugout and instructing the manager to direct game day ops staff to go up to the press box and tell them to shut it down. But, this PU is probably about the same age as me and I know I have done some things on a field that do not align with the preferred course of action in the heat of the moment so I don't hold this against him the slightest.

Yes lots of times there is a better way to handle something. BUT - At the heat of the moment there is only one way to handle it.

• Like 1

Yes, he could have ignored it or laughed it off, but that essentially condones the behavior. It's similar to not calling a balk when a pitcher blows through a stop. It really doesn't effect you, but the next crew who comes in and does call it now has to clean up your mess. "But they've never called this before???"

We will agree to disagree. I can not agree that not calling a balk is anywhere near the thin skinned reaction this ump showed of an organist in the stands playing 3 blind mice during a time out.

I respect your opinion and expertice. I just don't share it in this case. Thankfully this has only happened 3 times. I sure would love to see his ejection report.

I am also sure the Ump is a great one, no doubt in my mind. Does not mean he can't/didn't make a mistake here out of anger.

• Like 1

As I understand it, these guys in MiLB don't take crap from anyone as a matter of survival. Any weakness is seen as an opportunity by players and coaches who are all trying to move up the ladder. If this guy let it go, it would come back to bite him ten fold down the line.

I've outlined it here... Seneca has precedent on his side:

• Bruce Froemming once cleared a press box in Duluth for "catcalls" made in response to a reversed call.
  • Keith O'Connor ejected an organist for playing "Three Blind Mice" (1985)
  • Tony Maners ejected an organist for playing "Mickey Mouse Club" (1988)
  • Mel Chettum ejected a P.A. announcer for advertising an eyeglass manufacturer during an argument in which a manager used eyeglasses as a prop (1995)
  • Angel Hernandez ejected Steve McMichael after McMichael incited the crowd over the P.A. system (2001)

And he also has codified OBR (plus PBUC, though the "best" of fans like to dismiss anything they can't see as "umpiring voodoo magic"): 4.06(a) [incite fans], 9.01(b ) [authority to order club employees to do or stop doing anything], 9.01(c ) [elastic clause]. Pro umpires communicate with the press box constantly, it is absolutely no help when the press box stops being objective and starts being one of the fans.

Unfortunately, and I wrote this elsewhere: "such an objective analysis for a very subjective sequence does not rest well with the sports world's popular culture of belittling and blaming umpires, referees and other officials and in today's world of Twitter, Facebook and now-now-now, taking the time to research past practice is in very low demand whereas instant results and knee-jerk reactions are the norm."

• Like 2