point mechanic

PonyUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4291 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What are your thoughts on the point strike mechanic? My problem with it is that its hard to have a simultaneous signal & verbal, while managing to make the call in a reasonable amount of time. How do you guys do the point without it being too slow?

You just have to make your mind up your going to do it. I adjusted from strike then signal to simultaneous strike, hammer in one game. Looked bad a few times but from that point on no problems. What I found, for some reason it greatly improved my timing and the consistency of it.

I was just told by an evaluator that my point mechanic was too slow. I think I'm probably going to go back to the hammer because: A) It's faster B.) I can face the field the whole time C.) Easier to have good timing

• Like 1

I use them both. For the younger kids, probably 12 and under, I point. For the older kids, it's hammer time. The kids and coaches seem to get confused at times with the hammer (out etc.) Pointing is not hard. stand, call point. Not real difficult. I umpired a few games with a guy last week who assigns for another HS chapter. He was telling me about the software he uses. Talked about evaluating and ranking "his" umpires. When he got done, I asked who evaluated and ranked him? One thing that I firmly believe in is being set to make a call out in the field. I am locked down like a tripod watching the play.

I was just told by an evaluator that my point mechanic was too slow. I think I'm probably going to go back to the hammer because: A) It's faster B.) I can face the field the whole time C.) Easier to have good timing

Sometimes the evaluators are idiots.

I've pointed my entire career. Voice at the same time as the point. My timing is quite slow. I'd probably say something like, "Thanks for the feedback" and that would be the end of it.

It's almost impossible to be too slow unless you are *trying* to be too slow on purpose.

Sometimes the evaluators are idiots.

I've pointed my entire career. Voice at the same time as the point. My timing is quite slow. I'd probably say something like, "Thanks for the feedback" and that would be the end of it.

It's almost impossible to be too slow unless you are *trying* to be too slow on purpose.

I told him that I was channeling Tim McClelland.

Pony, as far as facing the field when you point, I feel like it's important to do so just in case something happens. A D-I umpire I work with every now and then told me he points up the first base line. I thought it looked good, made sense as to why he did it, so I started doing it also, and I must say I like it. Looks sharp (voice and point at same time), and you keep your head more forward.

My friend who works the in the NWL points to the side, but keeps his head forward when there are runners on.

I hammer as it's much closer to my dreaded softball mechanic and since I do both I want to keep it simple. I actually come with a quick punch in front of my face. When I do softball I only alter it slightly (delay it until well after the verbal), and that's only when I think about it.

Can't imagine what too slow would be. What's your evaluator's hurry? Frankly, early in the game, if F2 isn't wondering why I'm not calling a good pitch a strike (until he hears me), I feel that I am too fast. I see F2's holding a pitch and almost looking back in the first inning until they get used to my timing. After a few pitches, they get it. They also know because my "ball" verbal is faster than my "stike" verbal because it takes longer to stand up and point/verbal on a strike than it does to say "ball" and stay down.

What are your thoughts on the point strike mechanic? My problem with it is that its hard to have a simultaneous signal & verbal, while managing to make the call in a reasonable amount of time. How do you guys do the point without it being too slow?

I point, give a verbal at the same time AND chew gum.

• Like 2

When I'm not using the Leslie Nealson moonwalk strike, I'm a side pointer and in the past I've been told I was "too fast," so it certainly can be done. To me the only way the hammer is faster is if you aren't standing up to make it. Also, every umpire I've ever respected has told me "there is no such thing as too slow, it's nothing until you call it anyway."

I'll admit, I do feel rushed a little when I hear dady coach going "nice pitch, Jimmy" as I call about.

I personally am not a fan of the hammer strike in baseball, for the most part because I think it looks too much like the softball mechanic and I just don't like it. I know at pro school they require the hammer, and I believe until full season A you've gotta hammer. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the level where that changes.)

I use the hammer and I will never point. I just don't like the way it looks when I do it. I know lots of other umpires that use the point and they look fine, I just don't like it. My hammer is VERY different from the softball "pierce the sky" mechanic. I keep mine low, under my nose, and out in front with the back of my fist turned 45 degrees. I have been told by many that I make the hammer look GOOD.

I've recently started using the hammer when I've worked a lot of games or doin younger guys. But HS or older guys (13+) I do, "pop", that's a strike(in the mind) drop step, HIKE! Pointing somewhere in the first base dugout direction. Once you get a few strikes in the first inning they'll realize your mechanics and know what's a strike and what's a ball. Especially of you vocalize balls

I've recently started using the hammer when I've worked a lot of games or doin younger guys. But HS or older guys (13+) I do, "pop", that's a strike(in the mind) drop step, HIKE! Pointing somewhere in the first base dugout direction. Once you get a few strikes in the first inning they'll realize your mechanics and know what's a strike and what's a ball. Especially of you vocalize balls

I don't see how it could be a problem, other than a coordination problem.....lol :fuel:

I use the point and call it as I am pointing.

Can't imagine a call being to slow.

One thing to remember, nothing has been called until I call it. :meditation: