Register or Sign In to remove these ads
bbman

backswinig which interferes

bbman    10

What is the Fed rule on a backswinig which interferes with the cather's ability to make a play? Ex - runner stealing second and on the follow-through the bat strikes the catchers mitt, dislodging the ball. Is the rule the same as OBR?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
mstaylor    1,504

If I remember correctly, it isn't mentioned in the rules but the interp is to call it the same. Maybe somebody with a copy of the BRD could check. If it is then the ball should be dead and the runner returns, no out.

Umpire in Chief    1,370

If I remember correctly, it isn't mentioned in the rules but the interp is to call it the same.

I seem to remember the interpretation differently, but I looked it up in OBR and indeed you are correct.

If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpires judgement, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the back swing before the catcher has securely held the ball, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.

Where I would like to look this up in an interpretation book is say the catcher does have secure possession. Say hes catches the ball does his hop with the ball in his throwing has and is hit in the back on the back swing as he throws.

My interpretation with out further reading, would be to apply the same principle as above if it was unintentional kill it send the runner back. If it were intentional get the interference.

Lets see what someone with J/R or BRD handy has to say...