Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plate Meetings...

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Posted · Report post

It happens most of the time around my area. I usually just address my comments to the coaches and get things going as quickly as possible. I agree that it's annoying, but I'm not going to tell them not to come out.

Posted · Report post

Only time I see that happen is in the church leagues where they have the pre game prayer.

Posted · Report post

OK, I have not umpired and baseball in a few years and have become solely a softball umpire. To those of you who work softball, have you had plate meetings where everyone on BOTH teams came to the plate meeting? It annoys me to no end because it looks silly and isn't necessary as everyone starts BSing, making the plate meeting longer. Coaches/Captains only please, thanks. I once told a coach no about that and got a funny look, as he said "But its a good motivation booster!!" and he proceeded to bring his whole team out with him anyway. :crazy:

I think that might end up leading to an EJ for not following an umpire's directive, but anyway......

What's everyone else's experience even with "Coaches AND Captains?" WTH?

I'm not doing near the number of games I normally would here at my current location, but in my previous 9 calendar years of umpiring, the most I had would be head coach and an assistant coach. This "Captains and coaches" bullfluff only started for me over here doing DoDDS games. (DoDDS = DoD Dependents Schools) Never saw that before in any scholastic game.

Posted · Report post

We do "Coaches and Captains" during HS playoffs and championship games.

Posted · Report post

I can count on half of one hand how many times I have had more than just one coach at the plate meeting.

Posted · Report post

I always call the managers out to the plate 5 minutes before game time. Managers only. I have had some times when the manager is late and I will add in the Asst.

But I tell him he needs to inform the coach when he gets there. Only during high level games, district championships where there are special guests on the field do I tolerate intrusions. Just let the managers know it's managers only when you first introduce yourself.

Posted · Report post

Every once in a while I get a coach and captain but thats rare. No way I'm letting the entire team stand there.

Posted · Report post

I have had it happen at small private church schools but rarely. What do I care, the only one talking is the manager anyway.

1 person likes this