Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3559 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After reading this thread here are my thoughts.

* It appears from these posts the unequal chest protector as shown in the video was a crude "beta" version of the CP.

* According to several posts it has been improved since then.

* Maybe other instructors then said they wouldn't use it, but with the changes they will.

We don't know when UIC's friend saw used the unequal, we can only assume it was about the same time as the original video.

Other thoughts.

I would have liked to see Evans take the shot dead center rather than move to the side. (not that I want to see him hurt)

I wonder why they would release this video using a "beta" product. Others have mentioined they put the time money and effort into this video for a lesser quality product. IMO they wanted to have an audiance to ooooh and ahhh. If they filmed it now with the final product they wouldn't get the audiance. Show us a video of the current version done in the studio with a direct hit.

Evans owns the other forum and should know how us internet umpires tear things apart for fun. And known that people would say that hit wasn't the real thing and would take issue with it.

Now there is no way I believe the other videos that are posted around here where the guy is getting hit in the chest with the bat lacross stick shovel andwhatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry0NJRcWb8

This video makes me skeptical those aren't real hits the guy's body bare moves with the so called "force" he is hit with. Any of the blue hair bettys at the bingo hall will hit you harder with their walker if you interrupt their game. Your average LL minors kid can swing a bat hard enough to knock a man standing flat footed. down.

I think these videos have late nite infomercial written all over them. Act now and we'll throw in a shamwow for no extra cost.

Now I do want to see this product live up to the hype. While I love my platinum I'd love to have a light-weight, cooler (temp wise), less bulky yet highly protective chest protector. I'd part with some of my hard earned salary to get it. So I am looking forward to your reviews. But as of today I'm not sold.

• Like 4

Guys,

I just had a conversation with a trusted friend about the Unequal Chest Protector. He has first hand experience with this product I wanted to share. You can take it for what it is worth, but I give his words top tier credibility.

Here are some of his comments:

1) Jim Evans was bruised significantly after making this video.

2) None of the instructors said they would wear it in a game.

3) The protector is hot as heck.

4) While it's weight is within 2oz of his Gold it feels heavier.

5) After his experience with it he would definitely not wear it in a game or recommend it.

He also told me that another guy he knows who tried the unequal had after seeing and holding it decided to test it out before going out on the field, because he had doubts. He took a hit to the chest right at the nipple which hurt. He took another hit right next to the sternum which doubled him over, 4 days later it was still tender to the touch. That guy never took it out onto the field.

My friend concluded by saying that, "The Unequal Chest Protector is the most overrated product in the history of umpiring."

The reason I post this is not to down the product, but honestly I am highly skeptical of it now after these comments from a trusted friend. My purpose is to potentially save my members not only injury, but save their wallets as well.

I am still eager to get feedback from you all who have purchased this.

here is my 2cents worth . No CP is going to protect/prevent against all injury , however most of the pro level CP's , we all know the brands will reduce and in some cases protect from injury . I have owned my 15" douglas for 3 seasons now , back in my first season working a LL juniors gm 14 yo pitching , the catcher got crossed up . I took a high 70's pitch directly to my left pectoral , i was stunned for a minute or two , i felt the impact !! and it stung a bit . after i composed myself game continued , with no issue . the next day i observed a half dollar size bruise on my pectoral , that lasted for about two weeks . now this was a 14 yo , not a varsity HS 85+ pitcher or college. Did the douglas perform ? depends on youre point of view i guess . The CP did reduce my potential injury , and i will be the first to admit that i was surprised that i felt the hit at all . what would an 85+ hit feel like , right at the heart area ? My expectation was the douglas would prevent injury , and could handle 85+ or above hits with no effect . after that experience im not so sure about my douglas ? So everyone will have a different experience with each CP , there are too many variables . It has been proven in the pros , that the best gear cannot prevent all injury , but in the majority of cases reduce injury . BTW my douglas is still my favorite CP , it fits the best . my CPU 4000 is still my second choice , due to how it fits my body .

marc

I am not sure your wearing it right.. I got hit twice at the end of the year, with 90+ and barely felt a thing.. no brusing, nothing.. My Douglas is BAD ASS..

Show me one other chest protector company that puts up a $5000 medical reimbursement standing behind their product.

http://www.exoarmor....s/guarantee.pdf

Please post it here.

Good luck collecting it. Talk is cheap.

Before you stand behind this you might want to read it and fully understand it. There are some qualifiers for the Co-pay Reimbursement (CPR). The CPR varies based on the level of the gear for $1,000 to $5,000. In the end they are going reimburse you for is your medical policy co-pay. Not your deductible or any oither charges. It is limited to the lower 48 states (minus New York and California) and is only valid for one year from the date of purchase.

Show me one other chest protector company that puts up a $5000 medical reimbursement standing behind their product.

http://www.exoarmor....s/guarantee.pdf

Please post it here.

Good luck collecting it. Talk is cheap.

Before you stand behind this you might want to read it and fully understand it. There are some qualifiers for the Co-pay Reimbursement (CPR). The CPR varies based on the level of the gear for $1,000 to $5,000. In the end they are going reimburse you for is your medical policy co-pay. Not your deductible or any oither charges. It is limited to the lower 48 states (minus New York and California) and is only valid for one year from the date of purchase.

I get it...my point is what other companies publish this in writing? That is my whole point.

Guys,

I just had a conversation with a trusted friend about the Unequal Chest Protector. He has first hand experience with this product I wanted to share. You can take it for what it is worth, but I give his words top tier credibility.

5) After his experience with it he would definitely not wear it in a game or recommend it.

He also told me that another guy he knows who tried the unequal had after seeing and holding it decided to test it out before going out on the field, because he had doubts. He took a hit to the chest right at the nipple which hurt. He took another hit right next to the sternum which doubled him over, 4 days later it was still tender to the touch. That guy never took it out onto the field.

My friend concluded by saying that, "The Unequal Chest Protector is the most overrated product in the history of umpiring."

The reason I post this is not to down the product, but honestly I am highly skeptical of it now after these comments from a trusted friend. My purpose is to potentially save my members not only injury, but save their wallets as well.

here is my 2cents worth . No CP is going to protect/prevent against all injury , however most of the pro level CP's , we all know the brands will reduce and in some cases protect from injury . I have owned my 15" douglas for 3 seasons now , back in my first season working a LL juniors gm 14 yo pitching , the catcher got crossed up . I took a high 70's pitch directly to my left pectoral , i was stunned for a minute or two , i felt the impact !! and it stung a bit . after i composed myself game continued , with no issue . the next day i observed a half dollar size bruise on my pectoral , that lasted for about two weeks . now this was a 14 yo , not a varsity HS 85+ pitcher or college. Did the douglas perform ? depends on youre point of view i guess . The CP did reduce my potential injury , and i will be the first to admit that i was surprised that i felt the hit at all . what would an 85+ hit feel like , right at the heart area ? My expectation was the douglas would prevent injury , and could handle 85+ or above hits with no effect . after that experience im not so sure about my douglas ? So everyone will have a different experience with each CP , there are too many variables . It has been proven in the pros , that the best gear cannot prevent all injury , but in the majority of cases reduce injury . BTW my douglas is still my favorite CP , it fits the best . my CPU 4000 is still my second choice , due to how it fits my body .

marc

I am not sure your wearing it right.. I got hit twice at the end of the year, with 90+ and barely felt a thing.. no brusing, nothing.. My Douglas is BAD !@#$%^&*..

Well ,that is a fair argument , this was three years ago and the thought crossed my mind . I have since changed my plate stance , my stance when this happened could have contributed to the minor bruising , and as far as wearing the CP correctly , i believe im good . It fits very well to my body .

When you say you got hit twice at 90+ were these foul balls or pitches that the F2 never touched ? That might make some difference .

Guys,

marc

I am not sure your wearing it right.. I got hit twice at the end of the year, with 90+ and barely felt a thing.. no brusing, nothing.. My Douglas is BAD !@#$%^&*..

Well ,that is a fair argument , this was three years ago and the thought crossed my mind . I have since changed my plate stance , my stance when this happened could have contributed to the minor bruising , and as far as wearing the CP correctly , i believe im good . It fits very well to my body .

When you say you got hit twice at 90+ were these foul balls or pitches that the F2 never touched ? That might make some difference .

pitches that F2 never touched...LOL

I emailed Jason yesterday to see if the Unequal was still supposed to ship August first as there website claims. He did not say one way on the other, but he did say they would go out as soon as they recieved them.

I noticed on a recent bill that they had arleady charged my card. I know some companies wait till the order ships to charge, but I quess they do not. Hoping mine comes in early in August. Football is heating up here in Texas and after early August there is a chance that I won't find myself on a diamond until spring.

pitches that F2 never touched...LOL

What leagues have guys throwing in the 90s but the catchers aren't getting a glove on them? At that level, it seems to me even if they get crossed up, they usually get a glove on it.

Like I posted earlier this week, there website says that they are supposed to ship August 1st. I emailied them to see if they would confirm that date, but no confirmation or alternate date was given...just an assurance that they would ship as soon as they recieve them.

I have my last plate the Texas Collegiate League (College Summer League ball) on August the 10th. I hope that i have it by then so I can give it a whirl.

What crappy timing. Reminds me of the Wilson Titanium Mask release in 2008. I got it in August, AFTER, all my games were over. Did wear it in some college fall ball games. Good luck receiving it in time.

Ummm...I posted in another thread, semi-pro league. Lazy former minor leaguer and an overmatched college kid: two games, three uncaught by F2...they aren't coaching them like they used to...

I'd be using a raft when I worked this league.

I personally wouldn't buy the $180 CP before I bought the 'Dead Stop'(18"x18"x5/16") for 80 bux, or the 'EGIS' (18x18x3/8") for 90 bux and installed it on my existing CP, whether it be the WVG/P, Douglas, etc. They have the CRT that is used to peel and stick inside football/baseball helmets. It would work the same on a CP, in my opinion.

The dead stop looks like a trauma plate used by cops.

Let's not get carried away here fellas...we don't need "bullet proof/resistant" gear.

That being said, I can't wait for my unequal.

No, it is flexible and can be sewn, taped or velcro'd inside your existing CP, adding that much more protection. I can do that for $90 easier than a full $180 and totally different CP. I mean the dude hit his head with a hammer with this stuff. If I'm not totally mistaken, I've seen a different video(will search for it) of a guy putting this stuff over his hand and slamming a hammer down on it, not hurting his hand at all.

I believe the bald guy who hits his head with a FREAKING HAMMER before Jimmy who flinches and overacts. If they sell this stuff by the square foot, you could make every cheapo rawlings foam cp into body armor cheaper then buying the unequal cp. I'm really looking forward to reviews.

Force3 indicates that the new chest protector is made entirely of "Dead Stop" (see unequal technologies website), whereas the prototype in the Jim Evans video was not. I'm looking forward to geting mine and giving it a test during Fall ball (Lord knows I'll be hit more than once during youth Fall ball where just about everyone--and their little brother--who has ever wanted to be Johnny Bench gets a shot at gearing up behind the plate--in fact I'm not adverse to using a baloon protector a time or two in the Fall if I start to get the "flinches" after being pummelled repeatedly). If the sternum protection is too light, I figure I can add/retrofit an additional Dead Stop or Egis sternum plate, but am hopeful that won't be necessary. I could always use any extra for a forearm guard (or send any unused chunk on to you guys for the same--it looks like Unequal sells the plates--although I might need a machine shop to cut the stuff). What I like about the Force3 design is that it extends lower and wider than my Platinum, a protector I love but the Platinum also leaves my lower most ribs on the sides covered only by foam. The Force3 looks like it will cover the entire rib cage of long torso-ed guys like me with Dead Stop plates.

Cut and pasted from ABUA forum site:

There is a small holdup with the protector. The manufacturer reported back to us that they had to wait for some supplies to get to them that are essential to the protector. Unfortunately we will not be shipping on the 1st, but as soon as they do come in, they're going right out the door and a tracking number will be emailed to you. We hope the delay is not long, and certainly apologize for the delay. It's something not in our control, and can only report back with the info given to us.

Thanks for understanding, Jason