Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3578 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I will also add that the cp Evans was using is not the one they are selling now. I would think they would have made improvements by now. And I agree with johnnyg08...I don't think a company nowadays would put out a product that was as bad as what was described by UIC. But I guess we'll see when I get mine and take one for the team.

After reading the post by UIC today I emailed Jason at ABUA (And Evans) to see if he had any comments. Here is what he had to say:

Stephen,

Thanks for your email...The protector Jim wore has totally changed since the original prototype. The unequal protection is much thicker with a blast shield layered on top of it... I'd love to speak to the person who says no instructor would wear it because I already have a few on order from them... Scientific numbers don't lie, our protection protects you better as far as blunt force trauma. I don't think the NFL or NHL would be investing as heavily as they are if it didn't work.

If you'd like to post what I am saying, please feel free. Anyone who would like to call or talk to me about the product, they can do so anytime. I don't shy away from any questions. We're trying to advance umpire equipment out of people's comfort zones using the best technology available. Nobody is trying to do more for umpires than we are.

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

jasonump@gmail.com

Thought some might like to read what he had to say. I have a premium member of both sites in the past, so I really don't show favoritism one way or another. I have ordered an Unequal and was concerned with UICs post, so I wanted both sides to have a say. Take it all for what its worth.

• Like 1

Guys,

I just had a conversation with a trusted friend about the Unequal Chest Protector. He has first hand experience with this product I wanted to share. You can take it for what it is worth, but I give his words top tier credibility.

Here are some of his comments:

1) Jim Evans was bruised significantly after making this video.

2) None of the instructors said they would wear it in a game.

3) The protector is hot as heck.

4) While it's weight is within 2oz of his Gold it feels heavier.

5) After his experience with it he would definitely not wear it in a game or recommend it.

He also told me that another guy he knows who tried the unequal had after seeing and holding it decided to test it out before going out on the field, because he had doubts. He took a hit to the chest right at the nipple which hurt. He took another hit right next to the sternum which doubled him over, 4 days later it was still tender to the touch. That guy never took it out onto the field.

My friend concluded by saying that, "The Unequal Chest Protector is the most overrated product in the history of umpiring."

The reason I post this is not to down the product, but honestly I am highly skeptical of it now after these comments from a trusted friend. My purpose is to potentially save my members not only injury, but save their wallets as well.

I am still eager to get feedback from you all who have purchased this.

here is my 2cents worth . No CP is going to protect/prevent against all injury , however most of the pro level CP's , we all know the brands will reduce and in some cases protect from injury . I have owned my 15" douglas for 3 seasons now , back in my first season working a LL juniors gm 14 yo pitching , the catcher got crossed up . I took a high 70's pitch directly to my left pectoral , i was stunned for a minute or two , i felt the impact !! and it stung a bit . after i composed myself game continued , with no issue . the next day i observed a half dollar size bruise on my pectoral , that lasted for about two weeks . now this was a 14 yo , not a varsity HS 85+ pitcher or college. Did the douglas perform ? depends on youre point of view i guess . The CP did reduce my potential injury , and i will be the first to admit that i was surprised that i felt the hit at all . what would an 85+ hit feel like , right at the heart area ? My expectation was the douglas would prevent injury , and could handle 85+ or above hits with no effect . after that experience im not so sure about my douglas ? So everyone will have a different experience with each CP , there are too many variables . It has been proven in the pros , that the best gear cannot prevent all injury , but in the majority of cases reduce injury . BTW my douglas is still my favorite CP , it fits the best . my CPU 4000 is still my second choice , due to how it fits my body .

marc

Well, if it was a Wendelstedt product on this forum, you can promise yourself that this CP would be better than sliced bread.

That has nothing to do at all with it.

We just got on the topic and I was amazed at what I heard.

Believe me I want to see new and better technology for us, but I don't want to see guys get hurt.

Someone posted that the Ultimate Chest Protector has been completely redesigned since the Evans video and that may be a huge difference in what I was told about.

Like I said I do want to hear the experience of those who bought it and what their thoughts are after using it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBU-SKpyA-Y

I know you've probably seen this, but it's the best endorsement I've ever seen. If Jimmy had acted like Joe in his video I would be more inclined to buy the unequal. I want one, but will wait for the true field test results.

• Like 1

When I get hit with my Platinum, I don't feel anything. That's my benchmark.

If they put a product to get endorsed, and Jim got hurt in it, what's that say about their R&D team? Then they had to do a redesign of it?

If they want to put that stuff behind some big pieces of plastic (OR CARBON FIBER), they get a better response.

• Like 1

If they put a product to get endorsed, and Jim got hurt in it, what's that say about their R&D team? Then they had to do a redesign of it?

If they want to put that stuff behind some big pieces of plastic (OR CARBON FIBER), they get a better response.

That may be your benchmark, but it isn't mine. I'm OK with feeling the ball for a few minutes. To me, that's an acceptable tradeoff for not wearing that robo-ump rig.

That may be your benchmark, but it isn't mine. I'm OK with feeling the ball for a few minutes. To me, that's an acceptable tradeoff for not wearing that robo-ump rig.

what cp do you use?

I had my heart rhythm messed up in a 10 year game, while I was wearing lesser gear. I had one of the best heart surgeons on the planet say I was lucky. Now I only wear the best protector made. For me, it's the Platinum. That one big piece of plastic works wonders. Everything just bounces off me, like in that Joe West video. I don't feel nuttin, honey.

I modified the arm padding in my Platinum to reduce the bulkiness, and still provide superior protection to all the boney parts.

what cp do you use?

Riddell Power.

what cp do you use?

Riddell Power.

I dig it, just can't get one. Lol. I wear WVG

I think it says a lot about their R&D team...if a prototype doesn't work, they redesign it so it does. No different than any other product out there...WD-40 isn't just a clever name. They failed 39 other times.

I think it says a lot about their R&D team...if a prototype doesn't work, they redesign it so it does. No different than any other product out there...WD-40 isn't just a clever name. They failed 39 other times.

I agree it does say a lot. It spoke volumes. It also explains Jim's scream after the ball hit him. During alpha testing they typically do not mandate an audience and post the results on the YouTube for a prototype that doesn't perform. This new design has generated some interest but, I will wait for the beta testers to report.

I agree it does say a lot. It spoke volumes. It also explains Jim's scream after the ball hit him. During alpha testing they typically do not mandate an audience and post the results on the YouTube for a prototype that doesn't perform. This new design has generated some interest but, I will wait for the beta testers to report.

Agreed.

You don't release a commercial about your new parachute, when someone plummets to their death. (Even if after their first bounce they give a thumbs up).

The commercial benchmark is the Nutty Buddy spot, where that kook gets squarely blasted, and doesn't sing in the children's choir.

• Like 1