A sad trend starting to appear its head.

C'MON_Blue55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4064 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone noticed the amount of player ejections going up? I have had four this year. Swearing, throwing helmet, and etc...I got my butt tore up if I did anything close to those actions. I have had maybe one or two in the past couple of years. I am not talking about MC, but behavior displayed by the players.

Has anyone noticed the amount of player ejections going up? I have had four this year. Swearing, throwing helmet, and etc...I got my butt tore up if I did anything close to those actions. I have had maybe one or two in the past couple of years. I am not talking about MC, but behavior displayed by the players.

Have not noticed any change.

Swearing, throwing helmet etc also depends on age group.

I also tend to stay out of the dugout and careless what they do in there as long as it is not directed at me or another umpire.

• Like 1

I am talking about on the field and at the level of 14 and younger baseball. I could care less about the dugout. That is the babysitters job to maintain control of them there, unless like you said directed to me, another umpire, or directly to an opposing player.

We're "old skool" in Alabama. Daddies will take their son's to the woodshed for showing their ass. Every time I interact with a player it's yes sir or no sir. Gotta love the South.

• Like 2

Well look at society in general today. When something happens to you it is always someone else's wrong doing. Accountability is slowly making it's way out of society. This is magnified in today's professional sports. All the whining about owners, team mates, other players, and officals are a common occurance in interviews. It is hardly heard that the athlete stands up and says "I AM THE REASON WE LOST THIS GAME!" when they are at fault, instead of blaming others.

Example: I called a kid out at third base on a banger trying to push a stand up double into a triple. He was told to hold up on second before reaching second base, but he persisted to ignore the coaches' commands.As he was getting up, I could see his digust towards me. Surprisingly, the coach told him, " You cost us a run (which would've won the game for the team). It is not the umpire's fault that you ran through the hold up signal and wanted to be selfish. It is only your fault and that is why you got tagged out, not the umpires!"

• Like 1

I'm noticing in general the number of ejections I've had has gone down over the years. first year, i must have had 7 ejections and a forfeit, 2nd maybe 4 last year i had 2 and so far, since May I haven't had a single eject. Maybe it's just I'm getting near 40 and I am mellowing, or perhaps I feel I have less to proove to anyone, (I know I most certainly felt like I did in my first year), perhaps I am getting bettter at making the right call, or at least selling the call. Could be all the above, but thankfully my trend is downward

Well look at society in general today. When something happens to you it is always someone else's wrong doing. Accountability is slowly making it's way out of society. This is magnified in today's professional sports. All the whining about owners, team mates, other players, and officals are a common occurance in interviews. It is hardly heard that the athlete stands up and says "I AM THE REASON WE LOST THIS GAME!" when they are at fault, instead of blaming others.

Example: I called a kid out at third base on a banger trying to push a stand up double into a triple. He was told to hold up on second before reaching second base, but he persisted to ignore the coaches' commands.As he was getting up, I could see his digust towards me. Surprisingly, the coach told him, " You cost us a run (which would've won the game for the team). It is not the umpire's fault that you ran through the hold up signal and wanted to be selfish. It is only your fault and that is why you got tagged out, not the umpires!"

I tend to recoil at suggestion that "society is going to hell these days." Kids have always been pissed when they view a call as bad, it's just a matter of whether they feel they are empowered to say something. Isn't the above story exactly how it should be? Kid is pissed (we'd rather not have it but it's a reality) but holds his tongue and coach puts him in his place. Sounds OK to me. I get more upset when a coach isn't smart enough to see the forrest from the trees in these situations.

I've averaged one EJ a year for my first 4 years. I don't have any through 46 games this year, but should've dumped one this weekend but left him in because we were an out from ending the game and the kid didn't know any better. I realize I probably just made a problem for another ump in the future and am kicking myself now. That said, I've had a lot fewer "could have/should haves" this year because I've become a better game manager.

I have not noticed as much from the kids but this year has set a record for me for coaches with 4. I don;t know if they are getting bolder or with experience I am taking less from them but it has gotten worse.

I'm noticing in general the number of ejections I've had has gone down over the years. first year, i must have had 7 ejections and a forfeit, 2nd maybe 4 last year i had 2 and so far, since May I haven't had a single eject. Maybe it's just I'm getting near 40 and I am mellowing, or perhaps I feel I have less to proove to anyone, (I know I most certainly felt like I did in my first year), perhaps I am getting bettter at making the right call, or at least selling the call. Could be all the above, but thankfully my trend is downward

Years ago, I had posted on a long gone website about the exact same post you did....Papa C said did it ever cross my mind that "you are just getting better?"............better at mechanics, better at rules, and better at game management.......

The better I am at rules and mechanics and game management the less ejections I encounter......yes sure there is the occasional knucklehead....but

I am talking about on the field and at the level of 14 and younger baseball. I could care less about the dugout. That is the babysitters job to maintain control of them there, unless like you said directed to me, another umpire, or directly to an opposing player.

Nope

Still don't have anything on the field and never really had a problem with players 14U throwing helmets on the field.

I tend to recoil at suggestion that "society is going to hell these days." Kids have always been pissed when they view a call as bad, it's just a matter of whether they feel they are empowered to say something. Isn't the above story exactly how it should be? Kid is pissed (we'd rather not have it but it's a reality) but holds his tongue and coach puts him in his place. Sounds OK to me. I get more upset when a coach isn't smart enough to see the forrest from the trees in these situations.

I've averaged one EJ a year for my first 4 years. I don't have any through 46 games this year, but should've dumped one this weekend but left him in because we were an out from ending the game and the kid didn't know any better. I realize I probably just made a problem for another ump in the future and am kicking myself now. That said, I've had a lot fewer "could have/should haves" this year because I've become a better game manager.

Should have stated that this was an example that took place that was handled correctly by the coach. My bad guys for getting crossed up!

I just see a trend here locally and even state wide. Several high schools had some black eyes this year with unsportmanship-like behavior in multiple sports. But you are right there are times that it is ecpected for a kid to blow-up and so emotion. That is what I hope happens with you play with heart and passion. I just hope the future of sports realize that there is a time and way to show these emotions!

Wow... Papa C. That's a poster I haven't heard in a good long while!

Yup! to illustrate how long ago it was....it was CC's response to my post on McGriffs!

That's back when all but the wealthiest of us had to make our computer make those funny sounds when connecting to the internet.

• Like 2

<p>

<br />

<br />

<br />

Wow... Papa C. That&#39;s a poster I haven&#39;t heard in a good long while!<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Yup! to illustrate how long ago it was....it was CC&#39;s response to my post on McGriffs!<br />

<br />

<br />

That&#39;s back when all but the wealthiest of us had to make our computer make those funny sounds when connecting to the internet.<br />

<br />

<br />

</p>

A noise I miss just a little but not one I want to ever deal with again.

I have to say that where I live the trend is reversing on TDs. Instead of not being backed up and it becoming the umpire's fault, coaches are now being required to sit out the next game. I did a tournament recently where I ejected a player for throwing equipment in protest of a call. The tournament director told me that the tournament rules stated the ejecting umpire made the decision if the player had to sit another game. I also had a tournament game (in a different tournament) where both the HC and AC for a team were ejected. They both had to miss the next game.

While I agree that a decision like that is probably best left to the tournament director, it has some merit to it. The team with the ejected player had been whining and complaining about various things during the game. They only had nine players, and once they saw that they would be down to eight for the next game if I chose to have him sit, they became very quiet.

I should have clarified in my post that the tourney game where the HC and AC were ejected was a different tournament. I did not make the decision on them.

Super NIT in Lake Charles Louisiana last year. 11u. F5 to F3. Bad throw but F3 shoulda scooped it. F5 is ragging him unmercifully. f3 shouts, "will you shut the f**k up?!?"

I have seen less ejections over the last 4 years. 2 of mine were from profanity. I will not tolerate a 12 year old spewing profanity!

Assistant coaches today don't seem to understand that the additional rope I tend to allow the manager, is not extended for them. So I have seen an increase in assistant coach ejections this year.

One of mine was actually after the game was over. I was walking away towards winning teams exit after calling third strike on his sons at bat for game final, and the dad/first base coach came up to me and said loudly, "Unbelievable, no way that was a strike"! I tossed him. He says, "But the game is over. I said, "unfortunatley for you so is your next one."

• 2 weeks later...

At Disney Wide World Of Sports the Umpires never eject players or Coaches.

During introductions at the pre game meeting we get the Head and base coaches names.

If there is a problem with a player we call "time' in the same tone as our ball call.

We look in our book for the Head Coach's name

Then we walk over to that player's Coach and say "Coach________ player number xx is disqualified."