Getting Squeezed Back There (No Pun Intended)

MIZUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4291 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Here is something I was told and I live by it. I have heard that several other high level umpires do the same thing. Read below:

Catcher sets up inside.. need to do what I can to make sure I see the pitch.. I hate looking over the top.. Miss the low pitch too much when I do that.. This has worked for me since xxxx xxxxxxxx told me to look across the plate and call where the ball hits the glove. He said it isnt umpire school anymore.. Do what you can for yourself to get the call right...

This is my new motto for those situations on the dish.

Johnny, that's been my solution. As wrong as it may be. But it keeps me in a safe position (we all know compensating our stance can get us in an unsafe spot).

Trout, I like that spot too as I'm thinking about it. (reminds me of BioDome too..."Back and to the left." haha)

Johnny, that's been my solution. As wrong as it may be. But it keeps me in a safe position (we all know compensating our stance can get us in an unsafe spot).

Trout, I like that spot too as I'm thinking about it. (reminds me of BioDome too..."Back and to the left." haha)

Trout, that's what the textbook says. If it works for you, go for it!! It's all about getting the pitches.

• Like 1

If the catcher wants to squeeze me out of seeing everything, then he's not going to get everything, and I will let him know when he complains I missed something. I call what I see, and I do what I can to see it all, but when the catcher wants to take that all away, he's going to find a lot more balls called in those situations. I'm with trout, up and back. Live by the sword, die by the sword

On a related note, how do you all adjust when you get a hitter that really crowds the plate? There is one kid who I see a lot that stands almost on top of the plate (but still in the box) with his elbows out. If the catcher sets up inside I have a really hard time with that pitch. I have had the best luck so far with getting lower, but I still don't like the view I get there. Thoughts?

When you're ready to try something else, try this:

Catcher sets up inside.. need to do what I can to make sure I see the pitch.. I hate looking over the top.. Miss the low pitch too much when I do that.. This has worked for me since xxxx xxxxxxxx told me to look across the plate and call where the ball hits the glove. He said it isnt umpire school anymore.. Do what you can for yourself to get the call right...

Up and back is what the textbook says. You will miss more pitches up and back than in the method used above...as well as get hit in the face more often.

When you're ready to try something else, try this:

Up and back is what the textbook says. You will miss more pitches up and back than in the method used above...as well as get hit in the face more often.

Johnny, I'm sure I'm being obtuse but I have no idea what you're saying... "Look across the plate"? What's that mean?

• Like 2