Vocalizing balls

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4314 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Been watching CWS. I've noticed that so of the PU say ball. I usually don't vocalize balls unless I am a little fast with my timing. Usually takes me a few batters then I'm right as rain. I don't yell it like my strike call, but I do say it loud enough so at least F2 can hear. My question is should I always vocalize balls and if so, like I am now or loud?

redneck_ump,

I always vocalize balls.

Not as loud as strikes.

I have been taught that balls should be vocalized loud enough for both benches to hear, strikes loud enough that everybody hears.

So, that's what I try to do. Seems to work for me.

JM

You need to vocalize it in proportion to it's proximity to the strike zone.

If is sails over your head, don't bother.

If it's a foot off the plate, yeah, don't bother with that one either.

If the catcher has to reach for it, "ball".

If it's close "Ball!"

If it's close, and an important pitch "BALL!"

Just like calling strikes, you have to know the situation, also.

Strike one, on a 3-0 count when the batter has his bat on his shoulder isn't going to be heard in the parking lot. (sorry Jim Joyce, but you're just doing that elephant seal in heat bellow just to hear yourself.)

I don't personally vocalize balls. Iknow..... Evaluator didn't say a thing about it. JE teaches it's nothing until you call it. I just don't do it. Gonna work on 2 things today. Vocalizing balls, and putting my strike mechanic and verbal together.

I don't personally vocalize balls. Iknow..... Evaluator didn't say a thing about it. JE teaches it's nothing until you call it. I just don't do it. Gonna work on 2 things today. Vocalizing balls, and putting my strike mechanic and verbal together.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

kyle, you are talking about selling a border line pitch. I was taught "if you had to sell it as a ball couldn't you sell it as a strike too?" :home:

kyle, you are talking about selling a border line pitch. I was taught "if you had to sell it as a ball couldn't you sell it as a strike too?" :home:

I have heard the exact same thing, however I'm still training my mind of that thought...which I like better than selling a ball.

Good post ump45

Every pitch, and situation is different. That's all I'm trying to say, fellas.

Most of us (hopefully) don't bellow out "Foul!" and balls that go directly back to the screen. Most of don't give a big heave-ho out, when a runner is out by 10 feet. Verbalizing "ball" calls is the same. Know the situation, and proximity. Don't make "stadium" calls, and sell the close ones.

Borderline pitches are situational, too. If a catcher sets up outside, and reaches over for a borderline inside one, that's going to be different then if he hit his outside, borderline, spot.

I agree. I try not to sell a "ball" call. I always verbalize and sometimes is louder than other times but that is just me. It doesn't mean anything.

Bring your indicator out on the bases with you too.

Until recently I didn't vocalize balls louder than just for the batter and catcher to hear.

Then I was told college assigners want it loud enough for the benches to hear and I have made that change.

But, my ball call is pretty consistent in terms of volume whether just outside or two feet out the reason is a umpire I greatly admire told me, "Don't sell ball calls. If you think you need to sell a pitch as a ball, you should be selling it as a strike."

Ok, so I started verbalizing balls. No big deal. I don't see any difference in the game. Still hard to get verbal and mechanic together on called strikes. It throws my timing all off. I like my mechanic, but if I wait long enough to turn and point before I verbal, it just feels funky. Old habits hard to break.

I tried practicing non-game. Seemed alright until live ball sitch. Then my timing just seems off. Gonna try your suggestion. How big a deal it is, I don't know. It didn't get me a bad eval, but he did mention it.

It's one of those things that will simply make you a better umpire and will separate you from the softball mechanic.

It was tough in the game b/c it hasn't been drilled enough yet. It will seem really slow at first. Will it make or break you as an umpire locally? It's not likely...but a lot of those little things put together make a good umpire great.

It's a sign (literally) of an unconfident umpire. If he has to justify his call with some sort of hand signal, he's feeling that he's going to get some heat for his call.

Some folks do it because they've seen other umpires do it, and don't know any better. I've seen whole groups do it, because their leader does it.

It's a sign (literally) of an unconfident umpire. If he has to justify his call with some sort of hand signal, he's feeling that he's going to get some heat for his call.

Some folks do it because they've seen other umpires do it, and don't know any better. I've seen whole groups do it, because their leader does it.

Wow, this brings us down a unique path...many of the CWS & Super Regional umpires are verbalizing the location of pitches the entire tournament.