Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Fittske24

List of face masks worn by active MLB Umpires as of 6/21/2012

219 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Maybe I missed it in here but what's up with Jeff Nelson's throat guard? Looks like he chopped it off of another silver mask and put it on his black Mizuno. 

Its homemade.  He has it on his 121 and 122.  Also the black tape is electric tape LOL.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
2 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Its homemade.  He has it on his 121 and 122.  Also the black tape is electric tape LOL.

Weird. 

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:53 PM, acpar72 said:

So Jeff Nelson is on the dish in Anaheim and I can't help but think of how unsafe that throat attachment is. You're telling me that electrical tape is going to prevent that piece of metal from getting shoved back into your throat on a foul ball from a 95 MPH fastball? Makes me nervous just looking at it. 

7 hours ago, Stk004 said:

So Jeff Nelson is on the dish in Anaheim and I can't help but think of how unsafe that throat attachment is. You're telling me that electrical tape is going to prevent that piece of metal from getting shoved back into your throat on a foul ball from a 95 MPH fastball? Makes me nervous just looking at it. 

What??? :HS 

@Stk004 The throat guard isn't attached using electrical tape, he uses the electrical tape to help hold his TW pads lower in his face mask. The throat guard is just part of the mask. Just like a throat guard on a wilson and Nike. He got it customized from Japan. 

5 hours ago, the_umpire said:

@Stk004 The throat guard isn't attached using electrical tape, he uses the electrical tape to help hold his TW pads lower in his face mask. The throat guard is just part of the mask. Just like a throat guard on a wilson and Nike. He got it customized from Japan. 

@the_umpire is right, @Stk004, Nelson's mask is a custom one-off fabrication. That  extended, squared goatee chin-guard is unique and integral to the mask.

5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@the_umpire is right, @Stk004, Nelson's mask is a custom one-off fabrication. That  extended, squared goatee chin-guard is unique and integral to the mask.

I see my mistake. They're two different colors, right?

which game did you guys see this in? or when he last wore it? I want to see this

39 minutes ago, tjohnson said:

which game did you guys see this in? or when he last wore it? I want to see this

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

So that's a Mizuno? I've seen a few of those lately (I think Tripp Gibson wore one last night in Chicago for Cubs/Pirates), but didn't know what frame it was.

9 minutes ago, tjohnson said:

So that's a Mizuno? I've seen a few of those lately (I think Tripp Gibson wore one last night in Chicago for Cubs/Pirates), but didn't know what frame it was.

Yep. Tripp Gibson has a mizuno frame with Wilson non wrap around pads and a wilson throat guard.

Here's a really good look at it:
jeff-nelson-fredi-gonzalez-mlb-spring-tr

You can see that the "wicket hoop" (the upside down U, by the mouth) bars don't exactly line up with the two vertical bars of the custom chin guard. The inner-ring bar does line up with the custom chin guard itself, though, so it's got me curious as to how custom this rig is; is it just masterfully built off an existing Mizuno mask, or is it a one-off complete build from the Mizuno planform?

Can someone get Jeff some tan tape, for crying out loud?

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, tpatience said:

Yep. Tripp Gibson has a mizuno frame with Wilson non wrap around pads and a wilson throat guard.

Right and an mlb logo.  Jeff Nelson has home made extensions on his 121 and 122.  Then he also has black tape to keep his tan tw pads down and away from his mouth.  He has had this for as long as i have watched him the past five years.  He also wears an XL Riddell Power and too tight of a shirt. LOL

9 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

2QA-129

what is this in reference to?  Jeff Nelson doesn't wear a 129, but the 129 is similar to Nelson's mask .....

Is Will Little wearing a navy blue Nike TI here? 

24 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

No its black.

Thanks. I couldn't tell. 

No problem.  Black TW pads.  Wore Wilson wraparound leather pads (the ones sold with the original black aluminum mask prior to 2014 version) in 2015.