Light weight throat guard

3rdGENump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3584 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone have suggestions for a light weight throat guard? I have the 4000UMP, I recently added the 4 1/2 in. throat guard from UA and I think the throat guard weights as much as the mask...

Thanks for the help.

Get the All-Star magnesium TG built for the 4000!

Anyone have suggestions for a light weight throat guard? I have the 4000UMP, I recently added the 4 1/2 in. throat guard from UA and I think the throat guard weights as much as the mask...

Thanks for the help.

7408081536_ded43c6d00.jpg

Im sorry but that looks ridiculous. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the help.

looks better than a hunk of black matte plastic....

Thanks for the help.

looks better than a hunk of black matte plastic....

I agree. I get Complements on mine all the Time.

I'm not sure how the plastic and magnesium compare as far as weight goes; I assume they are similar. The magnesium certainly qualifies though, it weighs in at 2 oz. and is barely noticeable.

As for the look, I just can't decide after one week. I asked half a dozen catchers on Saturday what they thought. 2/3 of them pled the 5th in one way or another. One admitted he thought it was a bit large after I pressed him. Another said he thought it looks "kinda cool".

I WISH ALL-STAR OFFERED A 4" VERSION

Thanks for the help.

AGREE - FUGLY

Has anyone used or have the same throat guard that Cory Blaser uses. I think its a larger plastic guard from mizuno. I like the way it looks I just wanted to see if anyone has used it. I will try to find a picture of it.

This one? Its model number from Mizuno is 2ZA206

14-01-04-2za206.jpg?_ex=240x240113927066-umpire-cory-blaser-talks-with-t2.ump.icon.jpg

If you're looking for something outside of the All-Star/Spyder look, Champro came out with a new throat guard that is lighter in weight and vented. Haven't really pushed it much but has been fairly popular. Sell more of them than the All-Star version. http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CM-TGCM-TG-L.jpg

I agree the Japanese Mizuno one looks good, but its probably about $30 to get it here ($15 for the guard and $15 for s&h). It doesnt look that cool, lol.

I'm expecting a package any day with my Mizuno mask / Spider TG. Will share thoughts when I get it.