FED version of "what happens" from Pro section

1dumbquestion
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4252 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I didn't want to change the OP in the pro section to a HS quesiton but if you have the same play, R1 sliding beyond the bag at second and altering a play on the BR at first do you get 2 outs on the FPSR even though R1 was safe on the slide. I would think so as the FPSR is a penalizing rule. What do you guys think? Thanks, 1

• Like 1

If I have a blatant INT, I'll call it. IMO, a legal slide means R1 can reach the bag with hand or foot. I'm pretty liberal on how they slide, so a LEGAL slide can almost never cause INT. I've called INT DP maybe 4 times in my career.

I didn't want to change the OP in the pro section to a HS quesiton but if you have the same play, R1 sliding beyond the bag at second and altering a play on the BR at first do you get 2 outs on the FPSR even though R1 was safe on the slide. I would think so as the FPSR is a penalizing rule. What do you guys think? Thanks, 1

There is nothing to think about. By rule, both the offending runner and BR are out.

IMO, a legal slide means R1 can reach the bag with hand or foot.

No. In FED (and NCAA,) a slide on a force has to have the entire body in the width of the bag or the slide has to be away from the fielder.

I'm readine Fed 2-32-1 & 2 a-f and I find no wording similar to this. Please give me the reference you are using. Referring to the "entire body in the width of the bag"

Rule 2-32-1-f "the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases."

IMO, a legal slide means R1 can reach the bag with hand or foot.

No. In FED (and NCAA,) a slide on a force has to have the entire body in the width of the bag or the slide has to be away from the fielder.

I'm readine Fed 2-32-1 & 2 a-f and I find no wording similar to this. Please give me the reference you are using.

Rule 2-32-1-f "the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases."

Exactly. Also look at 8-4-2b. "Direct line" means exactly that--a runner has to slide on the imaginary line between the bases. Sliding to either side is not sliding in direct line. The only absolution for that is if the slide is away from the fielder. See 2.32.2a and b.

If you draw a straight line from the inside corner of 1b to the outside corner of 2b, wouldn't that constitute a direct line? Don't get me wrong. I give benefit of doubt to defense if there's a question, I just don't award DP easily. It all boils down to if in the BU judgement there was a possibility of a DP. Lots of things to consider.

Ok, Sherlock.... I'm still waiting for the entire body width reference. You sure are combative over a friendly baseball rules conversation. Hate to see how you act on the field. :fuel:

I called it once when the defense would not have got any outs. F4 caught ball beside bag but had not touched, R1 took him out. I called R1 and BR out. If he had just slid into the base noone would have been out.

I'm sure it was a righteous call. I've called it a few times. Mostly it's illegal slide for intentionally trying to take out F6. Ima bust em for that. I'm not gonna grant a dp just because R1 slid to the corner of the bag instead of the middle. That's all I was saying.

Ok, Sherlock.... I'm still waiting for the entire body width reference. You sure are combative over a friendly baseball rules conversation. Hate to see how you act on the field. :fuel:

I'm combative when you keep insisting on incorrect umpiring, and I point it out? Not to mention, you claim to mean one thing when saying another? That's called "dishonesty."

And don't start with how I must be on the field. My HS season isn't over, if you catch my drift.

As for your body-width reference, check your periodic handouts. It is in there, and is in at least one a year. There's even a little shaded diagram. This isn't rocket science--if any part of the body goes to either side of the bag, that is outside a direct line between bases, since there is no line from base to base outside of the edges.

I called it once when the defense would not have got any outs. F4 caught ball beside bag but had not touched, R1 took him out. I called R1 and BR out. If he had just slid into the base noone would have been out.

I'm sure it was a righteous call. I've called it a few times. Mostly it's illegal slide for intentionally trying to take out F6. Ima bust em for that. I'm not gonna grant a dp just because R1 slid to the corner of the bag instead of the middle. That's all I was saying.

Go read 8-4-2b Penalty. You are required to get 2 on an illegal slide on a force play.

I guess your "drift" is that wherever you are your season starts later in the year than ours. My son graduated 3 weeks ago. Summer is in full swing.

I guess your "drift" is that wherever you are your season starts later in the year than ours.

No, that's not it. Never mind.

geez..... Lighten up. Remember when baseball was fun? I'm just kidding with you.

I agree with Matt on this issue not that anyone cares. lol.

Two outs and the slide must be entirely within the base by rule or interp. As a practical matter though players are sometimes wider than the base so if the body is about parallel with the line between the bases then there is a small amount of leeway. But if the BU can see it especially in 2-man without getting out his surveying equipment then call it.

This is pretty clear cut. A runner has to slide directly into the base in an attempt to break up a DP. He cannot slide to either side during his attempt, perform a "pop up" slide, or slide past the bag. Any of these acts are considered an illegal slide and you can get 2 outs in the instance, regardless of what happens on the back end of the DP.