• Memorial Day 2016.png

mjr_2013

That was quick!!

45 posts in this topic

Don't do 13 Plates!!! :wow::no::no:

Only person here that can do that is Semper Fi :rose:

You may end up in the hospital!

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Actually, for the record, 13 plates in three days is way too much. It will be physically and mentally very exhausting. It doesn't matter how young or old you are.

Usually I work 2 plates, then switch with my partner and he works two. That may be the end of a typical tournament day. Or perhaps there is one more game, or two more to split that day. So, for a total of two days (Saturday and Sunday) that's 4 to 6 plates at most.

And, note, my partner works the plate also. If you have a partner that only does the bases that's setting you up for a tough time.

So, maybe once --- now that it's booked --- but otherwise, make it clear you can't take that many plates and your partners should be able to work plates.

I hope this 13-plate marathon doesn't sour the whole experience for you.

1 person likes this

A combination of factors. People you know/meet at games. Google. You will start networking yourself and find your niche. I don't want 13 plates in 3 days. That's too much. You and your partner should swap it up every couple of games.

From the sound of it, my partner is just a very good varsity baseball player in the tournaments town with little to no expirience. I don't think he even has equipment. -_-

This may be ok on your inaugural Tournament outing, don't let this become a habit. you spent the $ getting gear, it only stands to reason your partner should split the plates. If not, you should make more per game than he. I have a couple of HS partners that don't do plates, they pay the other guy to do them. Usually $5 a game. Don't be taken advantage of. 13 plates in 3 days without the option of swapping up? My rate goes up.

He is getting less... I am being paid $15 more/game... That said, I understand what you are all saying in that I will be exhausted in doing the 13 plates. Depending on the weather and if it does get ridiculously tiring and I can tell I won't last the whole tourney like this, I will go to my TD and ask him to figure something out so I can work a field... Someone can borrow my equipment if need be.

I'll be sure to not measure my future based on it though. My first tourney this weekend is only seven games that I will be switching with my partner every now and then... I will keep in mind that not all tourney's will be that kind of 13 game marathon.

And Thunderheads, I actually sent an email to a bunch of TD's who were within an hour of me. This one was one of the farthest, and he responded. If you want his name, I can PM it to you.

All I can say about tournaments is they are the most physically and mentally challenging baseball games ever. You have parents and players who pay good money to have little Johnny on the team and have some crazy coaches who act in titled because they think since they paid so much that they can walk all over you.

I would advise you to stay clear of travel tournaments in my area if I were you but doing 13 games in 3 days in a big financial incentive to deal with all the crap they come with. Have fun doing 13 plates.... that's like suicide if you are not properly nourished.

You guys must not have decent regular season ball? My regular season high school games are normally pretty good quality. Far better quality than I've ever seen at any tournament (and I've probably called 15-20 tournaments throughout the years). Plus, I get paid nearly 2.5x per HS game as I would per tournament game. Making $300/weekend and working 8-10 games is not worth it for me. Not even close. Especially not when I can work just 4 HS games and almost make that money. I don't know, things must be different in your parts of the country. To each their own I suppose, I'm not by any means bashing anyone. I love calling the game, but I don't need the money. I guess that may be where things differ. I guess you could say the baseball games support my golfing addiction!

I have decent balll. Some of it is very good. I make the Alabama HSAA rate for school games. I also call Travel Ball Tournaments, and the game fee is almost exactly the same. You said 10 games/$300=$30 per game. Sorry, that's softball fee. I don't do it FOR the money. I love doing it. The money makes it even sweeter. My baseball earnings pay for my baseball habit. Gear, travel, uniforms, tickets to games (as spectator of course), concessions at games I watch, vacations. I'm going to 2 week HWUS in January paid for by umpiring.

Who did you hook up with where you're driving an hour to umpire a tourney?

Thunder, I have crossed multiple state lines to get to tournaments. I will be driving from Birmingham, Al. to Panama City Beach, Fl. next month to do a week of the Grand Slam World Series (grandslamtournaments.com). Gotta go where the games are. Last year I went to Louisiana. TWICE!

This may produce some interesting responses...but in preparation for the 13-game plate marathon you might read up on the Gerry Davis System/stance. It is certainly the most comfortable and least tiring plate stance. Yes, if you've never tried it you might not want to try it in a tournament. But when you find yourself so worn out that you're considering talking with the TD about some sort of relief, you might just try GD...perhaps just to finish the game you are in.

You guys must not have decent regular season ball? My regular season high school games are normally pretty good quality. Far better quality than I've ever seen at any tournament (and I've probably called 15-20 tournaments throughout the years). Plus, I get paid nearly 2.5x per HS game as I would per tournament game. Making $300/weekend and working 8-10 games is not worth it for me. Not even close. Especially not when I can work just 4 HS games and almost make that money. I don't know, things must be different in your parts of the country. To each their own I suppose, I'm not by any means bashing anyone. I love calling the game, but I don't need the money. I guess that may be where things differ. I guess you could say the baseball games support my golfing addiction!

I have decent balll. Some of it is very good. I make the Alabama HSAA rate for school games. I also call Travel Ball Tournaments, and the game fee is almost exactly the same. You said 10 games/$300=$30 per game. Sorry, that's softball fee. I don't do it FOR the money. I love doing it. The money makes it even sweeter. My baseball earnings pay for my baseball habit. Gear, travel, uniforms, tickets to games (as spectator of course), concessions at games I watch, vacations. I'm going to 2 week HWUS in January paid for by umpiring.

Well, you guys make off far better with the pay in your tournaments than we do around here. Just about every tournament I have ever called in is $30/game (and that is USSSA baseball - 14U and 16U normally). Maybe I need to get some ball in your area...

U trip around here is $35 or $40 and 1hr 45 min time limit

Ditto

Well I guess we will soon see your "career ejections" stat climb. Have fun and stay cool. Its a jungle out there!

1 person likes this

Just got my schedule for this weekend. 4 games Saturday and 3 Sunday. 13U tourney site within 20 miles of the house. Suh-weet!

Just got my schedule for this weekend. 4 games Saturday and 3 Sunday. 13U tourney site within 20 miles of the house. Suh-weet!

That is what I have as well - 4 saturday, 3 sunday. Mine is 8U on Saturday and either 8U or 14U on Sunday... I believe that someone will be evaluating me Saturday to judge whether I am good enough to do the 14U ball.

That is what I have as well - 4 saturday, 3 sunday. Mine is 8U on Saturday and either 8U or 14U on Sunday... I believe that someone will be evaluating me Saturday to judge whether I am good enough to do the 14U ball.

I really don't understand this thinking. The older the players, the better the ball, usually. 14Us you can generally expect routine plays. They do what theyre supposed to do. It's the little guys that are unpredictable and keep you hopping. In my experience, HSV is easier to call than 9U. Players play, coaches coach, and umpires ump. The young groups have REE-TARDS for coaches. They don't know the rules, or if they do, they misapply them. Less arguments, less chirping, less horses**t, more quality ball.

I really don't understand this thinking. The older the players, the better the ball, usually. 14Us you can generally expect routine plays. They do what theyre supposed to do. It's the little guys that are unpredictable and keep you hopping. In my experience, HSV is easier to call than 9U. Players play, coaches coach, and umpires ump. The young groups have REE-TARDS for coaches. They don't know the rules, or if they do, they misapply them. Less arguments, less chirping, less horses**t, more quality ball.

When I say "good", I think they are more judging game management, maturity, and whether they think I can handle umpiring kids who are only 3 years younger than me... Not so much rules and mechanics, because I agree with you - it is harder for 9U then it is MLB!

I've never called MLB, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once :cheers:

1 person likes this

Here in STL, most of the travel ball tournaments pay $35/game with a 1hr 40min time limit, and mercy rules that apply for each inning. I work almost every weekend, but normally only 6-8 games...I know some guys who work 3 Friday, 7 Saturday and 7 Sunday,..it's a decent chunk of change, but DAMN, that's a lot of baseball. Too much for me, and I LOVE the game.

Thunder, I have crossed multiple state lines to get to tournaments. I will be driving from Birmingham, Al. to Panama City Beach, Fl. next month to do a week of the Grand Slam World Series (grandslamtournaments.com). Gotta go where the games are. Last year I went to Louisiana. TWICE!

I think we might have been at the same tourney a time or two Trout. I was invited to PC for the next 4 weeks to do all their World Series tournaments, but the Alabama USSSA world series is rit accross the state line which is much closer for me so I opted to do those instead.

I think we might have been at the same tourney a time or two Trout. I was invited to PC for the next 4 weeks to do all their World Series tournaments, but the Alabama USSSA world series is rit accross the state line which is much closer for me so I opted to do those instead.

Good possibility we have met. I did the Utrip WS in Orange Beach a couple years ago. 2 weeks (8 days of games) about 25 games. It was alot of fun and an experience I'm glad I had, but wouldn't do it again. I skipped it last year. Went on Vacation. Lots of great people. Lots of great baseball. I may or may not be going to PC. Think I'm gonna save my vacation for camp in October.