Reebok's Zig Plate & Base Shoe

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4012 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 4 months later...

I'm growing more tolerant of the white on the shoes, but think some shoes really over do it. Remember it was not too long ago that all shoes were all black. My association even use to mandate that the shoes be all black (in case somebody wanted to wear other than typical umpire shoes on the field). The introduction of white on the shoes is going against what was ingrained to many umpires for years.

I am glad to see that these companies are offering more toned down white or all black options.

I'm growing more tolerant of the white on the shoes, but think some shoes really over do it. Remember it was not too long ago that all shoes were all black. My association even use to mandate that the shoes be all black (in case somebody wanted to wear other than typical umpire shoes on the field). The introduction of white on the shoes is going against what was ingrained to many umpires for years.

I am glad to see that these companies are offering more toned down white or all black options.

I agree. If that's what they're selling as umpire shoes, then that's what I'm wearing...even if there's some white

I agree. If that's what they're selling as umpire shoes, then that's what I'm wearing...even if there's some white

I've always loved a little white on my shoes, ...always, ....BUT ..... geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've always loved a little white on my shoes, ...always, ....BUT ..... geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ok... You guys be the judge....

2013ZigPlates.png

That's way to much white IMO. Having the bottom of the shoe be white is going to be a pain in the ass to clean. I think the all black will sell substantially better.

Where did you take those pictures...it looks like they might already be for sale somehwere...I like a little white as well, but I think the all black ones look better this time around.

I have a difference of opinion between plate shoes and base shoes. I like my plate shoes to be as close to all black as possible. I don't mind the white N on my 450's, but I most likely wouldn't wear the Zig's shown above. On my base shoes I like to have some white. For some reason to me it seems more athletic. All black base shoes to me seem to look like what I always thought of as "old man" shoes. Like they belong on a tourist in NYC with shorts and white knee high socks. Those are my feelings on the subject. If yours differ that is fine as well. I wouldn't have any problem working with a guy wearing the Zig plate shoes with all the white, or a partner in the field with all black shoes. Only one caveat though, make sure the white is white(not Mississippi clay red) and the black is nice and clean.

• Like 1

Where did you take those pictures...it looks like they might already be for sale somehwere...I like a little white as well, but I think the all black ones look better this time around.

They are directly from reebok.

Gear God has all the hook-ups!! :notworthy:
  • Like 1

I can see every nook and cranny filled with mud, and your shoe weighing a ton.

And it's still got the flat snout, instead of a smooth transition from the toe on back. That snout can catch balls, and drive the shoe backwards. Not the best design (but who asked me?)

White on the leather is pretty easy to clean. But the white rubber is a bit tougher. Plus, with all those zigs and zags, it would take some time with a toothbrush in your utility sink to get them white again.

Yeah, I'll stick with my NB/+POS duo still.

Why couldn't they have just put the black zig sole on the white striped shoe, and left off the hideous reebok logo on the met-plate? :shrug:

Now that is a show that I would buy. I like the reebok white stripes and I could live with the white zig...I have had the base shoes with the white zig for two seasons that they are not that hard to clean...but the huge white REEBOK on the toe plate is just over the top. Put a RBK of a small reebok logo...but not that hideous thing...first time you get spiked it is going to smudge and there will be no fixing it.

I can see every nook and cranny filled with mud, and your shoe weighing a ton.

And it's still got the flat snout, instead of a smooth transition from the toe on back. That snout can catch balls, and drive the shoe backwards. Not the best design (but who asked me?)

White on the leather is pretty easy to clean. But the white rubber is a bit tougher. Plus, with all those zigs and zags, it would take some time with toothbrush in your utility sink to get them white again.

Yeah, I'll stick with my NB/+POS duo still.

The Zigs don't collect dirt like you would think. They are actually pretty good at not collicting dirt. I would say that my curent magistrate plate shoues collect more dirt than my zig-tech base shoes. I have worn the base shoes (with the white) for a bout two years now, and I can say the white cleans up fairly well. Some "Mean-Green" and your standard scrub brush cleans them up easily.

I just don't know if I want that much white on my Plate shoe. The only explination I can come up with is because I haven't had that much white on a plate shoe before. So because of that I might go with the all blacks...but something in me wants the white and blacks because they are different. :)

How many years has Reebok been doing umpire shoes? Don't you think they'd have SOME sort of knowledge on what their customer likes or wants? To come up with this shoe with all the white and the 'over the top' Reebok logo is just a lack of forethought and common consumer knowledge.

• Like 1