Fair or Foul?

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4906 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought...umpire is 15 feet away on the line, in perfect position to call the play...he says, "Fair ball" I say can't argue that

Don't be a "homer" Scotia :) ....come on, man-up! Call it ....and why is U1 calling it? Isn't that Wally Bell's call?

Just a discussion guys ....

Don't be a "homer" Scotia :) ....come on, man-up! Call it ....and why is U1 calling it? Isn't that Wally Bell's call?

Just a discussion guys ....

Firstly, no "homer" issue here my alligences lie with the Toronto Blue Jays. So here are my thoughts that I will add to my original posting.

When I looked at the replay the ball contacts the line and is quickly scooped up by the first baseman. So I say Fair Ball. Now, onto the second issue or roles and responsibilities...since we don't see the Home plate umpire, we can't say for sure what he is doing on this play. BUT I will say that any pre game I do it is understood that up to the bag is the PU responsibility.

Firstly, no "homer" issue here my alligences lie with the Toronto Blue Jays. So here are my thoughts that I will add to my original posting.

When I looked at the replay the ball contacts the line and is quickly scooped up by the first baseman. So I say Fair Ball. Now, onto the second issue or roles and responsibilities...since we don't see the Home plate umpire, we can't say for sure what he is doing on this play. BUT I will say that any pre game I do it is understood that up to the bag is the PU responsibility.

Fair enough ....

The "homer" wasn't about the teams, but backing the 'pro ump' :)

Fair/foul - it is close. I say fair b/c of how close his glove was to the last point it was definitely fair. Benefit of the doubt to being fair on this one and I think it definitely depends on who calls it as to what they see. Behind the fielder, fair ball. In front of, foul ball possibly. Also, it may have touched a part of his glove which was still in fair territory first which would make it a fair ball. Tough call for the U1 but it is his call due to pregame.

At this level and any field I do with infield grass and a cutout for F3, PU takes the ball up to the cutout. U1 takes it from there. The front of the base only applies with no cutout. Here is the reason. It saves any confusion of whose call it is at the base. Was it at the line of the front of the base or was it 1 inch beyond that edge? Hard to tell plus it happens so quick to determine fair/foul. Then, 2 umpires are making opposite calls. Not good. It is easier to tell the ball is clearly beyond that cutout when it goes to the base. Then, transfer of whose call it is is very easy to determine and BU knows it is his call.

That is why it is U1's call.

Man this one brings back memories of one of my games. I had the dish and my partner was behind first as there were no runners. Batter hits the ball over my partner's head to the outfield. I track it and call it foul as it looked to have been just to the right of the imaginary line running from first base to the RF foul pole while my partner starts pointing in fair territory.

With the size of the average first baseman's mitt, how does U1 know where the ball really is in relation to the line, since the mitt is obviously hiding the ball from his view. It's so close, though...

Where did you guys learn about the plate umpire taking the call only to the cutout?

And speaking of fair/foul calls.... this one reminds me of Bob Davidson's call at 3B a few months' ago. Hmmm.... :rollinglaugh:

I think the call was right.

To me it looks like the ball would have caught part of the base as it crossed over.Good call, good play.

I'm curious - - why would it matter what the ball might have done...? As you know, it's where the ball is located when it's touched (in front of the bag).:rollinglaugh: