new CP design ?

D62 blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

i just spoke to someone who is directly involved with the development and design , of the "unequal" CP . According to them , this new design is going to set the umpire world on its ear . If you are an abua member , you may already have read about this . Get ready gear junkies , it is suppose to be available for sale , according to abua next month . And there are also some other new products coming out as well .

hope the video link works ??

marc

I remember seeing this a few weeks ago. I don't see myself as an early adopter on this one. Other folks will have to take some shots with it and give it the thumbs up for me to give it a try. I am certainly all for something cooler and low profile, but I do love my Douglas which is, as I write this, sitting on my front step after being shipped back to me after being retrofitted with the extra shoulder protection.

I remember seeing this a few weeks ago. I don't see myself as an early adopter on this one. Other folks will have to take some shots with it and give it the thumbs up for me to give it a try. I am certainly all for something cooler and low profile, but I do love my Douglas which is, as I write this, sitting on my front step after being shipped back to me after being retrofitted with the extra shoulder protection.

I agree , its hard to argue with a douglas CP , i enjoy mine alot . Here are a couple more facts according to my source at abua , the "unequal" will be fully adjustable from 12" to 16.5" , also the shoulder caps fully adjustable , and other custom fit features as well . So that regardless of body type the CP will fit (according to abua) . And the profile is so low that the CP is almost unnoticeable under the shirt . Real world on field , will be the real test , as to the acceptance of this new technology .

marc

I am a gear junkie too. All Star, Douglas, WV Gold. 3 different SGs and 4 masks. I have owned everything except a Nike mask and a Riddell Power.

I will wait to see how others fair with the Unequal. I doubt the physics. The video didn't prove a thing to me. I have never been hit in a staged and controlled manner. If I had $$$$ on the line ( like JE does) I could nut it up and take a glacing blow wearing any of my gear.

• Like 1

Boyinr....Which cp is your favorite, and why?

I am a gear junkie too. All Star, Douglas, WV Gold. 3 different SGs and 4 masks. I have owned everything except a Nike mask and a Riddell Power.

I will wait to see how others fair with the Unequal. I doubt the physics. The video didn't prove a thing to me. I have never been hit in a staged and controlled manner. If I had $$$$ on the line ( like JE does) I could nut it up and take a glacing blow wearing any of my gear.

My favorite is the All Star. It is not bulky, protects well and is cooler than the others. The best thing I can say I really never notice it when I am wearing it. This is due to the design and the delta flex harness. It is also nice that the padding is revomable and washable. There are some things I would change about each of them but the All Star is, for me, the best of the lot.

• Like 1

Any talk on the cost of the new CP?

If it comes in under $200 and I don't mean $199, I will buy it.

My name is John, and I am a gear junkie.

Ive heard its going to be significantly more. Thats just what I heard, though.

according to my abua source , it will be priced in the range of WV gold/platinum .

we shall see next month or so . btw if you are an abua member , a discount will be available , how much who knows ? abua members usually get a disc on their site anyway , and it varies from product to product .

marc

Saw this video some time ago on another post. I'm with grayhawk on this one. Someone else can verify the hype and take the shots. I'll stick with my Double-D and WV Gold thank you very much.

maybe pete from midwestump can get a hold of one , for a review ? are you listening pete ?

marc

I was told the CP would be more expensive than the "plastic" models. Yes, now a hardshell CP is simply plastic. Oh well, I am very intrigued by this new product. I believe it will easily top the $200 price point - hope I'm wrong. It looks very low profile. I also noticed they edited out the shoulder shot taken by Evans.

I'm in contact with Jason and I'm told the cp is coming soon. I've also been assured that the shoulder area has been reworked. They are very excited about this new product and they want to have it reviewed "soon."

Pete

all right now !!!

I'm in contact with Jason and I'm told the cp is coming soon. I've also been assured that the shoulder area has been reworked. They are very excited about this new product and they want to have it reviewed "soon."

Pete

Just wanted to add my thanks for the good work you guys do. The reviews are very helpful and are always appreciated.

I don't feel anything when I get hit with my Platinum. So that's the benchmark. Plus, it has one solid piece from chest, to shoulder, giving me the best collarbone protection. No other c/p has that. That's really important to me.

When another c/p comes along that has that has better protection than that, I'll consider it.

There may be ones a little lighter, a little slimmer and a little cooler, but I want the best protection possible.

I don't feel anything when I get hit with my Platinum. So that's the benchmark. Plus, it has one solid piece from chest, to shoulder, giving me the best collarbone protection. No other c/p has that. That's really important to me.

When another c/p comes along that has that has better protection than that, I'll consider it.

There may be ones a little lighter, a little slimmer and a little cooler, but I want the best protection possible.

yes the wilson chest protectors are good but they are made for short umpires.13 inches at the biggest size fits well for umpires 5-10 to 5-11.. for all of us umpires 6-1 and taller have our ribs exposed and if wilson did make the cp in 15inch size it would weigh over 4 lbs. we need a 15 to 16inch chest protector with good protection coming in at 3 lbs ..athe all star 15inch is very heavy at 3lb 14 oz

I'm 6'1", but wrap my left arm (for righties) along the bottom of my c/p when locking it. So, my ribs are covered, while my c/p gets locked up high. That works perfectly for me.

I fully understand that what works for me doesn't work for everyone.

I am currently using a Power. Bought from a friend of mine from another umpire list. I took a hard foul ball off it last week and I had some bruising. Unlike Kyle, I'm willing to have a little soreness a couple of times a season in order to have the lightest protection possible. In other words, there's a market for all of these protectors.

I have been using an "All American" CP the last couple of weeks. I took a shot to the outer shoulder area a couple days ago and felt zero effects.

The All American is underrated. I bought it from a former minor league umpire who is no longer umpiring. This thing rivals my Douglas. No joke.