Boring Ejection

nwsquid
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4296 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Names changed.

To:Assignor

Subject:Ejection Report

I ejected the Head Coach (Bob Johnson) of the Giants in the bottom of the 6th inning tonight.

In the 6pm U14 game between the Bandits and Giants, Bob Johnson was ejected for persistent arguing of balls and strikes. Bob was warned about persistent arguing of a balk call in the top of the 2nd. He was warned about persistent arguing of balls and strikes in the bottom of the 5th, and was ejected for the same arguing in the bottom of the 6th. He immediately left sight and sound of the field, and only had the following to say on his way off the field. "Thanks, it is about time. Those are terrible calls. This game is too big for you. I am going to have all my games at [other fields in town] so I don't have guys like you." The Bandits went on to win the game 12 to 3.

[End of message]

• It was about 55 degrees during the game, last night...so I was cold even with my jacket
  • I went into the game with the mantra don't squeeze the top (I had that problem in the U10 and U12 earlier in the week). Had I left everything else the same and moved the top down one or two balls I'd have heard much less chirping, but didn't want to adjust mid-game. Life goes on I suppose.
  • I did have a big (consistent) zone, but they ARE 14 (nipples to one ball below knees, and a ball on each side)
  • 15 runs were scored so it couldn't have been too hard to get a hit
  • Both field supervisor and assignor immediately noted he is a hot head, who always complains. I figured I better give him plenty of rope. Guess I could have dumped him in the 5th.
  • We had the bandits for game #2 of the night at 8pm and my partner had a postage stamp zone Zzzzzzz
  • I work 80% of my games at the "other fields" in town as they are the same organization/assignor.

• Both field supervisor and assignor immediately noted he is a hot head, who always complains. I figured I better give him plenty of rope. Guess I could have dumped him in the 5th.

Your guess is correct. Why give him plenty of rope because he's a super rat? Take care of business early and you don't have to put up with these a$$ clowns.

persistent arguing of a balk call in the top of the 2nd. - See ya. You warned him and then warned him again in the 5th? Sets a bad example. Try never to use "arguing balls and strikes" Arguing judement calls is a wider definition of which Balls and strikes fall under. This guys needs to learn a lesson. I often travel to KC for business, can you get me assigned to one of his games? I can toss him at the plate meeting and be gone the next day.

persistent arguing of a balk call in the top of the 2nd. - See ya. You warned him and then warned him again in the 5th? Sets a bad example. Try never to use "arguing balls and strikes" Arguing judement calls is a wider definition of which Balls and strikes fall under. This guys needs to learn a lesson. I often travel to KC for business, can you get me assigned to one of his games? I can toss him at the plate meeting and be gone the next day.

If the reason for the ejection was due to arguing balls and strikes, you say as much. Ejection reports need to be factually specific. Using broad generalizations is not a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I was instructed by UIC to run HC AT THE PLATE MEETING. In no uncertain terms, he said, "I want that motherf****r gone. If you can't do it, I'll assign the game to someone else." No problem, Boss. So at the dish pregame, after introductions and before instructions, I confirmed the coach's name and informed him he would be sitting this one out. You can't do that! Sorry. Already done. Clock is running. send your AC/New HC to the plate on your way out. He started to argue. If your New HC isn't here in 10 seconds, your team forfeits this game. He beat feet. Game ended in a run rule against them anyway, but it was an experience I'll not soon forget.

• Like 1

I was instructed by UIC to run HC AT THE PLATE MEETING. In no uncertain terms, he said, "I want that motherf****r gone. If you can't do it, I'll assign the game to someone else."

Need some more back story here. Why did the UIC want him gone at the PM?

I never met the coach before, and didn't feel obliged to question the man who signs my checks. He wanted him gone...... He gone.

I dunno, this seems a bit wrong to me. If the coach deserved a suspension based on past conduct, then do it openly and call it what it is.

I never met the coach before, and didn't feel obliged to question the man who signs my checks. He wanted him gone...... He gone.

Then your assignor can work the game if he wants him tossed that badly.

If the HC is that much of a douche, it'll take care of itself.

I dunno, this seems a bit wrong to me. If the coach deserved a suspension based on past conduct, then do it openly and call it what it is.

Mine is not to reason why

Mine is not to reason why

This is total BS. You had absolutely no basis to toss him, and you blatantly disregarded the rules and did it anyway. Completely and totally unethical. (Sometimes in life we have to choose whether to do the right thing or the convenient thing. I kinda remembe someone on this board pontificating about such things....)

I seem to recall from somewhere the "defense" of just following orders . . .

• Like 1

The only question you should have asked was "when the team protests and I get my ass raked across the coals for blatant violation of the rules are you going to take the heat on this one"?

The only question you should have asked was "when the team protests and I get my ass raked across the coals for blatant violation of the rules are you going to take the heat on this one"?

that association has 100% support for umpires. He will frag your ass behind closed doors when you eff up, but will always support you in public.

If the reason for the ejection was due to arguing balls and strikes, you say as much. Ejection reports need to be factually specific. Using broad generalizations is not a good idea.

Also, you need to specifically cite the rule that was violated that lead to the ejection

I was instructed by UIC to run HC AT THE PLATE MEETING. In no uncertain terms, he said, "I want that motherf****r gone. If you can't do it, I'll assign the game to someone else." No problem, Boss. So at the dish pregame, after introductions and before instructions, I confirmed the coach's name and informed him he would be sitting this one out. You can't do that! Sorry. Already done. Clock is running. send your AC/New HC to the plate on your way out. He started to argue. If your New HC isn't here in 10 seconds, your team forfeits this game. He beat feet. Game ended in a run rule against them anyway, but it was an experience I'll not soon forget.

This is absolute BS. Just confirms the general reputation some (most/all) coaches have about umpires being egotistical "my d*ck is bigger than your d*ck" jerks.

4. List and quote all applicable rules: Remember - the reader of this report may not know anything about the rules at hand, or even worse may have himself beeen schooled in the myths about them. Given that he'll be getting an earful from the manager/player/coach you need to get in front of the facts first, by supplying truthful information about that the rulebook actually says.

4. List and quote all applicable rules: Remember - the reader of this report may not know anything about the rules at hand, or even worse may have himself beeen schooled in the myths about them. Given that he'll be getting an earful from the manager/player/coach you need to get in front of the facts first, by supplying truthful information about that the rulebook actually says.

Wherever this came from, it looks like it's for a protest, not an ejection.

This is absolute BS. Just confirms the general reputation some (most/all) coaches have about umpires being egotistical "my d*ck is bigger than your d*ck"

"some (most/all) coaches" ??? Who cares what coaches think? I prefer to keep making >$20k a year umpiring than worrying about what "some (most/all)" coaches think. I EJ in 1 game, I keep working. I don't, I lose those game fees. Screw him. I went on some NICE vacations with that $. Never gave a second thought to that coach.

wow..would you cheat to help a team win if the assigner asked you to..and promised you some great plum games in return? so you coud go on a better vacation?

Also, you need to specifically cite the rule that was violated that lead to the ejection

Says who? Reference, please.