Time for a new mask

RichMSN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4294 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've worn the titanium mask now for quite a while -- I had the low profile on for at least a year, sold that in Europe, and bought a regular profile one.

Yesterday on the second last pitch of the game I took a pretty wicked foul ball that bent a bar and has given me a stiff jaw last night and a minor headache this morning.

So, I need to order a mask *today*. I'm working a plate on Saturday and would like to have it by then.

Suggestions? Just order another titanium? Or is there something new out there I should consider?

For me, the top things on the list are: (1) Vision, (2) Lightweight, (3) Good protection -- not necessarily in that order.

Any quick suggestions would be appreciated. Someone has already suggested the All Star System 7 mask. Someone else suggested a helmet -- I'm loathe to try that again.

post-1736-0-49982700-1338386460_thumb.jp

If I had all my gear stolen, and had to buy a mask right away, I'd order from ump-attire.com, and get the black Diamond frame, Team Wendy black pads, Wilson harness, sunshade, and 4" throat protector. Light, superior protection, and good looks. The throat protector is a variable, as some folks don't need it, and others need a longer one.

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads. I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads.

dos-equis-guy.JPG

I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

• Like 6

There are lots of frame choices out there, but the one thing I would make sure I did was buy the team Wendy pads.

I don't wear a standard mask often, but I make sure I have the team Wendy pads on when I do.

That's where I was thinking ................" where have I heard that before?"

I think I have a mild concussion. Combine that with my possibly broken thumb from 2 weeks ago, and it's not been a great May.

I ordered the All Star System 7 with the Team Wendy's pads. I used the 10% discount at Ump Attire I got by joining as a premium member here.

the diamond mask is one of the best. the pads are not that great for ball above 10 year olds. if u want to have a maks last u 5-10years with no prob and dont mind a bit extra weight......then its simple honigs single bar with wendy pads. best quality..good price 75bucks. wilson titanium mask is scary. i have been reading about many many masks denting easily, and for 200 bucks and with the masking weighing 20 ounces that is not good at all.

the diamond mask is one of the best. the pads are not that great for ball above 10 year olds. if u want to have a maks last u 5-10years with no prob and dont mind a bit extra weight......then its simple honigs single bar with wendy pads. best quality..good price 75bucks. wilson titanium mask is scary. i have been reading about many many masks denting easily, and for 200 bucks and with the masking weighing 20 ounces that is not good at all.

The mask did its job. It spun up off my head and if I have a mild concussion, it's better than it would've been with a lesser mask.

I am not willing to deal with extra weight. I had no qualms whatsoever paying another $200 for another Wilson, but it appears the All Star (and the Diamond for that matter) are just as light. I'll try it out. If I don't like it, I'll return it and order something else.

If you think you have a mild concussion you should check with an MD before getting behind the dish on Saturday. Repeat concsussions are nothing to screw around with. Hell, if you don't want to lose the game, maybe your partner will switch. Give it some time even if it's minor.

If you think you have a mild concussion you should check with an MD before getting behind the dish on Saturday. Repeat concsussions are nothing to screw around with. Hell, if you don't want to lose the game, maybe your partner will switch. Give it some time even if it's minor.

I'm feeling 100% today. And I would have no problems giving back a few games -- I've worked 55 games since March 31.

If I had all my gear stolen, and had to buy a mask right away, I'd order from ump-attire.com, and get the black Diamond frame, Team Wendy black pads, Wilson harness, sunshade, and 4" throat protector. Light, superior protection, and good looks. The throat protector is a variable, as some folks don't need it, and others need a longer one.

Why a sunshade? I've never understood umpires wearing one. I would think the bill of your cap would block any benefit. I've never worn one, so I don't know. I've just always thrown on a pair of sunglasses if necessary. Of couse, I'm sure there's some "Little Hitlers" out there who will not let their members wear sunglasses on the plate...

Of couse, I'm sure there's some "Little Hitlers" out there who will not let their members wear sunglasses on the plate...

No sunglasses at the plate = No me at the plate!!

Why a sunshade? I've never understood umpires wearing one. I would think the bill of your cap would block any benefit. I've never worn one, so I don't know. I've just always thrown on a pair of sunglasses if necessary. Of couse, I'm sure there's some "Little Hitlers" out there who will not let their members wear sunglasses on the plate...

I keeps the sun/heat off the bill of your black hat. I've swapped masks in the middle of games, and felt the difference.

I've also gone to a pair of low profile, Polarized sunglasses, from all places, Costco. Really, really sharp vision. I still use my Oakley M frames on the bases, because they ventilate better.

I had the opertunity to talk with Randy Marsh about face masks. He could have any mask he wanted given to him. he got a concusion wearing the wilson titanium. the masks are very stiff and transfer all the enegy toyour face. so whatever you get i would use the wendy pads. i have the diamond mask which is still'very lite. don't skimp on the pads.

I had the opertunity to talk with Randy Marsh about face masks. He could have any mask he wanted given to him. he got a concusion wearing the wilson titanium. the masks are very stiff and transfer all the enegy toyour face. so whatever you get i would use the wendy pads. i have the diamond mask which is still'very lite. don't skimp on the pads.

Here , let me help you pick up the name you just dropped....lol

• Like 2

I remember a newspaper article after he got a concussion in a game saying he was switching back to the regular Dyna-Lite mask