Lets talk about Sweat!!!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4321 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yesterday it was 95, very humid and the wind never blows on this field because it's surrounded by trees. I already sweet a lot as it is. When I'm behind the plate I have a lot of trouble keeping it out of my eyes.

What do y'all do to battle sweeting?

I have a hand towel in my front pocket, at towel on the fence and I wipe, wipe, wipe...... I change cloths between games and yesterday when I left the field it looked like I had pissed my pants.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do y'all do to battle sweeting?

Umpire in Minnesota.

No seriously, I wear as much moisture wicking clothing that I can.

On really hot days, I will wear one wrist/sweat band, that I use to wipe my brow.

I would avoid keeping the towel in your front pocket. Could you put it in one of your ball bags?

Keep doing what you're doing.

Towel between innings, bring more that one hat to the field (I sweat through mine until the bill of the hat literally drips). I do like the sweat band idea a little.

Just part of umpiring in the South.

Frogg Togg towel soaked in Florida water. I wrap it around my neck under my shirts. Makes a HUGE difference. Re-wet it between innings as needed.

Frogg Togg towel soaked in Florida water. I wrap it around my neck under my shirts. Makes a HUGE difference. Re-wet it between innings as needed.

I used that last year when it was 115.

I also sweat until my hat is dripping.

I looked like I had pissed my pants and my ass was too.

At SEC tournament yesterday, 4 man crew. HP sweated through from his belt to his ankles. Front of his pants and back. Poor guy was wringing wet. About 90 and in full sun they were wearing black. I felt bad for the guy.

I was noticing how Vandys uniforms were almost black looking when they played Florida because everyone was sweat soaked. Even the coaches when they came out would have a dark black sweat spot around the numbers in the back. It must of been a scoooorcher!

those do look intriguing, but I would worry about it coming off when I remove my HSM.

Used my Rite-Temp Endurance pads again last night. They really are amazing. 6:30 game first pitch temp of about 95. I was extremely comfortable. The issue I had was the sun setting in my eyes. I don't think Rite-Temp has a solution for that.

those do look intriguing, but I would worry about it coming off when I remove my HSM.

Used my Rite-Temp Endurance pads again last night. They really are amazing. 6:30 game first pitch temp of about 95. I was extremely comfortable. The issue I had was the sun setting in my eyes. I don't think Rite-Temp has a solution for that.

Slo,

you secure yours with a tight CP? yes?

Close your eyes! :wave: That's what I do. :shakehead:

Mine arrived in the mail this weekend, I'm looking forward to my next plate to try them out. I am impressed with the quality of construction and how quickly they fully charged up.

I think I need to add a FroggToggs Chilly Pad and I'll be all set.

Slo,

you secure yours with a tight CP? yes?

Yes. I tightened my CP a little bit to hold it in place. The pad works really well with my new douglas, but I have major slipping issues wwhen I use it with my All-Star. The Douglas fits me tighter across the chest and holds the Rite Temp in place. The All-star is not a tight in the upper chest and the pad seems to slip. I have not done anything to customize either CP for the Rite Temp pads yet. But, I know I will probably not walk on the field again this summer without a Rite-Temp pad under my CP. All of my games have been around 2 hrs since I got the pads so I have not had to do a mid game pit stop yet to switch one out.

"Florida Water Cologne"

The ammonia spirits mixed with ice water.

I used both of these last year and they worked great! Have any of y'all used this

After last summer in new Orleans Umpiring, I could buy a case of that stuff...LOL that stuff is the greatest thing around for the heat.