If You Could Protect Any Body Part Behind The Plate Better - What Would It Be?

NaiCam
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4941 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arms and hands, there's no protection and its just a big mess waiting to happen.

During the early part of the season when it is cool and I'm wearing the pullover, forearm pads are a part of my equipment. McDavid makes a really nice pair for football that work great. Nobody knows they are there.

I've never worn them with short sleeves, but I loaned one to a buddy who had a serious bruise he wanted to protect.

Guys,

I am reading this post with some interest. There are several products on the market for forearm and elbow protection that we have easy access to from Shock Doctor.

One is called the CrushTech Forearm Guard. Would retail for around $25.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/crushtech-forearm-guard.aspx

Another is the NeoGrip Elbow Guard. Would retail around $20

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/neogrip-elbow-guard.aspx

Haven't heard a lot of discussion on these sort of more peripheral type items. Are these items you feel would be beneficial to umpires? Feel free to share your thoughts either way. Interested in your opinions.

During the early part of the season when it is cool and I'm wearing the pullover, forearm pads are a part of my equipment. McDavid makes a really nice pair for football that work great. Nobody knows they are there.

I've never worn them with short sleeves, but I loaned one to a buddy who had a serious bruise he wanted to protect.

I took a shot on the forearm 2 weeks ago that I still feel. I have always thought that a pad makes sense there, but I won't wear one with short sleeves. I live in southern California, so it would be a rare event to wear long sleeves that would conceal a pad.

Guys,

I am reading this post with some interest. There are several products on the market for forearm and elbow protection that we have easy access to from Shock Doctor.

One is called the CrushTech Forearm Guard. Would retail for around $25.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/crushtech-forearm-guard.aspx

Haven't heard a lot of discussion on these sort of more peripheral type items. Are these items you feel would be beneficial to umpires? Feel free to share your thoughts either way. Interested in your opinions.

I took a big shot about a month ago to the forearm and it is still tender. I would have love to have something like this to wear for a few days with the nasty bruise I had.

Early last season I took several shots to the left elbow. I never thought to look at Shock Doctor. I tried an elbow sleeve from UA, but it did not have any real padding. It was mainly neoprene. I also tried one of those Franklin elbow guards that a lot of MLB players wear, but it was bulky.

Saw a Mcdavid hexpad option that I almost bought and might go ahead and buy now. I hate wear triceps guards, but I need something to protect me from time to time.

I noticed Tim McLelland wearing some type of forearm protection in a game he was doing the other week. At the time I was wondering whether he was being proactive or reactive. First time I have ever seen a MLB ump wearing anything on that area. I too have been hit there and it hurt for weeks!

I have a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE interest in new protective products. I have recently developed a new style of throat guard that is slowly making its way through the patent process. I feel new protective products are extremely important for the future of umpiring. I began developing forearm and elbow coverage about a year and a half ago, but stoped to concentrate on my throat guard. After reading these posts I am going to continue that development. I have been umpiring for 11 years, and the injuries that I have seen people go through - for lack of a better word - SUCK! About 8 years ago before I was thinking about protective products. I saw a good umpire turn terrible after one bad hit behind the plate. I have not had a devastating hit behind the plate, but I know it is coming. Personally, I want to be ready. I have not seen the shock doctor products before - I don't think they have it right (my opinion). If a company creates something similar to what I am thinking about - I will buy it and will wear it.