Wendelstedt School

Guest MIZUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4319 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest MIZUMP

Hey guys,

I have had a plan to go to Harry's school when I graduated for a few years now. The time is finally nearing to accomplish the goal. I was looking for some advice on registration. When is too late to register? From what I understand, a deposit is all that is needed up front and the full cost isn't due until Day One of the school. I'll take any advice y'all can give me.

Thanks a lot!!!

14 answers to this question

I'm a college student and do not want to go into the minors or professional baseball, I just want to eventually work college and high level games. However with my schedule I can only really miss two weeks off or I miss the entire semester, so the 2 week Wendelstedt umpire school is really the only option. Has anyone heard anythings about it or gone through it? Is it worth the time, do you work with the 5 week guys but just only for 2 weeks?

This year at Harry's there was a group of 2 week guys . They participated in everything the 5 Week guys did, with a few additional night classes for their group only. They were also the first group to get in the cage.

That sounds great, I really wish I can do the 5 week but I doubt I will ever in my lifetime unless I am unemployed.... :shakehead:

• Like 1

Guest MIZUMP

The reason Harry's was my choice was merely because two guys from my association went there and were successful. But, I'd love to hear your take on where the best are.

You might also check your local high school associations. There are district and state camps that teach 2 and 3 man mechanics with FED rules. Usually 4 days or less and <$200.

Guest MIZUMP

I've been to camp with Mid-America down in Springfield, MO. Been going to my high school stuff for a while but I was looking to advance the career now that I have a college degree. I'd just always been told Harry's was the way to go. And my understanding of the process is low. I was always under the impression that ya did the 5-week course and got recommended for PBUC with a good showing.

I've been to camp with Mid-America down in Springfield, MO. Been going to my high school stuff for a while but I was looking to advance the career now that I have a college degree. I'd just always been told Harry's was the way to go. And my understanding of the process is low. I was always under the impression that ya did the 5-week course and got recommended for PBUC with a good showing.

http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/ebooks/bnd.html

Are you still set on Harry's or the school from PBUC?

What other school is there?....

there was a new one last year, but that is still a new school.. go to the one who has been around since the mid 80's.. more umpires have made it to the big league coming from Harry's.

The 2 week course is a awesome thing. If you don't have the time or do not want to become or try for the chance to become a MiLB umpire...the 2 week course if perfect, you do everything the same.. I had a buddy go and he feels like so much of a better umpire after the 2 weeks. I will tell you that going to school is not gonna hurt you.

That "new one" happens to be run by PBUC. If you are looking for a very high consideration and to be evaluated every day by the evaluators of PBUC, you may want to go to their school. A lot of politics may play into it.

None of the choices are "wrong" choices. It depends on your goals and what you want to accomplish from it. You will benefit from any of them (If JEAPU is still even a consideration in this topic).