Ed Rapuano's Chest Protector

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5671 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Rapuano is plating Game 4 of the ALDS between the Angels and Boston and is wearing his plate coat exposing his CP. Initially I thought he might be wearing the Riddell Power, But after a pitch or two I saw the big yellow "W" which was hidden by his throat protector. It looks like the WV Gold, but there is something on the lower section.

Does anybody know anything about this CP?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the International Umpires Camp in Atlanta. He worked with us in the cage and met with students along with Paul Nauert and AAA International League Umpire Brian Kennedy for a rather candid Q and A session. He also donated several items (hats. balls, pullovers and game shirts for a charity auction-all autographed by Ed. Paul and many other MLB umpires.) I got a Jerry Crawford game worn/autographed hat for a fair price. There was a 2008 Yankee Stadium All-Star game ball with the whole umpire crew's autographs.

I asked "Rap. (as he told us to call him) about his CP. He said it was originally a Riddell Power but it is old and has been modified quite a bit. He has an Italian flag sticker on it as well.

My cage sessions with "Rap" were recorded and were very memorable for me. I have usually had some pretty bad cage sessions at other camps but today was great and I felt that I was finally able to show my true ability. Rap had only positive commentary about my work and did not change a thing. He gave me several complements and I have it on video tape. A good day for me.

as an aside, UIC, there are several (approx 14 or so) guys from NC here this weekend. They all got a 100 dollar discount.

I remember hearing a while back that MLB umpires can wear anything they want but that the official supplier was Wilson and that if any logo showed it had to the blig yellow W.

I remember someone posting a picture of a Riddell Power with a black W sticker on it.