Balk?

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am relatively new to this and was working a game this past Sunday.I thought I made this call right but now not sure because I haven't been able to find a reference in the FED rule book. Sit: Ri and R2, F1 goes into stretch with the ball, while straddling the rubber. Then, while still straddling the rubber comes into a set position. I balked him advanced the runners one base. After discussion with the DEF coach about wether it was a balk or not my partner ended up overruling me. This of course ticked me off to no end but that's a different story. Can anyone help me out? Is it a balk, and why?

Posted · Report post

BALK. 6-2-5

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thank you sir. I appreciate the help

Posted · Report post

Here is what Stephen posted for you:

ART. 5 . . . It is also a balk if a runner or runners are on base and the pitcher, while he is not touching the pitcher’s plate, makes any movement naturally associated with his pitch, or he places his feet on or astride the pitcher’s plate, or positions himself within approximately five feet of the pitcher’s plate without having the ball.

Your partner is an idiot.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Your partner is an idiot.

Dang right.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Why did you let your partner overrule you? What did he say that was so convincing?

Posted · Report post

Remember 10-1-4, your partner cannot overrule you. He can provide information once you ask him to do so, and you then can change your call.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately once he does it you can't really un-do it. He makes you look bad, if you try to stick with your call you have an argument on the field and look worse.

This is why pregame with your partner is so important. It's your call, you make it. Any questions or information comes to you and you only. Sounds like the coach went directly to your partner instead of you and then in turn your partner screwed the pooch.

I hope you let your "partner" know about this postgame. If not make sure it gets addressed before you take the field with him again.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your help guys.

Mike P, that's exactly why I let it go.

I didn't bring it up in pregame becasue our organization kept brining up in training that you don't overrule your partner. Lesson learned on that one.

Posted · Report post

Im confused. He had his left foot behind rubber amd right foot in front ( left handed pitcher) then brought his right foot up to rubber with hands in set position?

I agree thats a balk, but why is he doing this?

Ive been having a lot of trouble lately out of pitchers straddeling the rubber and looking in to get a sign. Isnt this a balk since hes taking signs without being on the rubber?

And you should never of let your partner over rule you there. You could of asked his opinionbut doesnt mean you have to use it.

Posted · Report post

The OP didn't say he ever toe'd the rubber. All pitching motion was done while straddling the rubber.

Posted · Report post

That is one of the biggest elephant balks you will see, I can't imagine your partner thinking about overruling you. First he should know the rule better and then he should know he has no authority to do so. Make sure you address it with him next time and certainly make sure your UIC is aware.

If the coach starts to go to him first, head him off. Come out and say," Coach, my call, come talk to me!" If he chooses not to do so, physically head him off or if you are sure he heard and is ignoring you, toss him.

1 person likes this