Regional Tournament

moblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4988 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I got a call earlier in the week asking me to call games this weekend for a state softball tournament. I declined since I didn't know softball particulars and didn't think that would be appropriate at that level. The UIC from one of the leagues I call in was the one asking me, and he said they had several guys there that were not certified for softball. I needed the money and figured if someone was going to get it that didn't do much (or any) softball, it might as well be me.

I got to the tournament and found out that it was the UIC's inner circle of friends with a few exceptions. Only one called softball primarily. I also found out it was the Jr. Babe Ruth Regional Tournament, which is the state champions from about 8 states trying to get into the world series in their age divisions. I took the field and had few problems the first day. I was mostly aggrevated that I didn't know enough to be calling at that level, so I kept my mouth shut and only called what needed to be (ball/strike, safe/out, etc.).

On day two they decided to put me and another baseball-only umpire on a field together. The first game went fine. During the second game a team felt like I was trying to cheat them while I was PU :smachhead:. The third game of the day was this same team. The temperature was in the mid 90s with high humidity, and I had done two straight plates. We were one umpire short and I was told by my partner that the tournament UIC and the UIC from the league I work in were both trying to keep him from going behind the plate. I told him I couldn't do another one, suit up.

My partner suited up and we took the field. It was the "cheated" team from before now playing the host team. I didn't feel like there were any problems with his zone, but the coach was still on me about cheating. Then while I was standing near 3B, I hear something to the effect of "Can we get a fair game?" from the cheated coach. I called time and walked over to him to tell him not to question my integrity, trying to at least be polite and not show him up in front of everyone. He proceded to argue a past call and tell me to do my job :wave:. I don't remember precisely, but there may have been more comments about me calling an unfair game in there as well. The regional commissioner and the TD both backed up my EJ, and my partner told them he had been accusing me of cheating now for two games. :clap: We inform the coach he's out of the game and he leaves.

A few innings later the TD walks onto the field and procedes to tell me and my partner to cut the coaches some slack because it's hot and they've traveled a long way to be in this tournament. Keep in mind he's doing this on the field where everyone can see us. He also said as an umpire your integrity will always be questioned and you just have to get used to it. I almost left the tournament during the game. They were already a man short and my partner (an 18 yr. old rookie) had to handle a few issues, so the tournament would have been in a world of hurt. For whatever reason, I decided to stay.

Long story short, this tournament is run by a coach that unfortunately stinks of rat coach. The umpires are mostly guys that umpire and not people that are umpires. I feel like out of all the people that were there at the end of the day, my rules knowledge and mechanics were better than theirs. That's not good considering the fact there are several quality officials in our area that could/should have been called instead of the ones they did. I am scheduled to go back tomorrow and start at 9:30, and do a championship game in a 3 man crew at the end.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep up the good work. It seems like, in my area, once a rat always a rat. I have several guys I have done games with that should know things and how to act since they umpire, but act just like any other rat.

Disclosure: I made a generalization based upon my experience. That is not to say all coaches are like that. But, there is a reason they have received the nickname rat.

Is there not a State UIC who makes sure that only qualified and certified w/ Babe Ruth umpires work the state games? If not, then the problems you experienced were likely a result of these rats having never answered to anyone for their behavior.

We do Dixie Girls and we hosted the two younger divisions at our park. I also just did a state tournament elsewhere in the state and I too felt like I was mechanically head and shoulders above the "locals" they used. But I know that all these umpires were tested and certified to umpire Dixie Softball. Now it's not a tough thing to accomplish but we attracted and used only softball umpires who called regular season games in our league. On site were Dixie Softball directors who provided oversight, and we had a few coaches who went too far and got dumped. If there is one thing I despise is a TD who will intervene on behalf of a coach who gets tossed. It happens more often than you think.

Hopefully the balance of the tournament went well and I'm sure they appreciated your lending your skills to the effort.

Baseball only has a state commissioner, and I would assume softball to be the same. When I called an asked about umpires having to be Babe Ruth certified to work baseball districts, as there is one going on now about 40 minutes from me and I was not asked to call, here are the answers I recieved:

Babe Ruth HQ: umpires must be BR certified

Regional Commissioner: supposed to be BR certified

State Commissioner: no, do not have to be BR certified

I am one of only four people in the area I am aware of that actually keeps up to date on paying the yearly fee to stay certified for Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken Baseball. At the regional tournament going on right now there may be as many as two BR certified umpires working the tournament (and are both related).

After hearing the TD's comments about needing to cut the coaches slack because it was hot and they had traveled a long way, I knew he was a coach. It also explained why he got who he did for UIC and who his friends then called in. They wanted pushover umpires, of which I do not fall into that catagory.

Baseball only has a state commissioner, and I would assume softball to be the same. When I called an asked about umpires having to be Babe Ruth certified to work baseball districts, as there is one going on now about 40 minutes from me and I was not asked to call, here are the answers I recieved:

Babe Ruth HQ: umpires must be BR certified

Regional Commissioner: supposed to be BR certified

State Commissioner: no, do not have to be BR certified

I am one of only four people in the area I am aware of that actually keeps up to date on paying the yearly fee to stay certified for Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken Baseball. At the regional tournament going on right now there may be as many as two BR certified umpires working the tournament (and are both related).

After hearing the TD's comments about needing to cut the coaches slack because it was hot and they had traveled a long way, I knew he was a coach. It also explained why he got who he did for UIC and who his friends then called in. They wanted pushover umpires, of which I do not fall into that catagory.

Please tell me there is more to staying certified than paying the fee.:question1:

Unfortunately no, staying certified for JBR is as simple as taking a test the first time, then paying your fees every year after that. It would help things immensly if everyone was required to take and pass an exam yearly or bi-yearly. I believe there are refresher exams online for umpires, but it is up to us to take the initiative to study the rules and take the exams.

Unfortunately no, staying certified for JBR is as simple as taking a test the first time, then paying your fees every year after that. It would help things immensly if everyone was required to take and pass an exam yearly or bi-yearly. I believe there are refresher exams online for umpires, but it is up to us to take the initiative to study the rules and take the exams.

So this is going to sound nastier than I mean it, but so what is the big accomplishment in staying certified?

So this is going to sound nastier than I mean it, but so what is the big accomplishment in staying certified?

============================================

For us the importance to stay certified is for when the caribbean or international tournament takes place. No uncertified umpire will be sent abroad, only certified ones.

Further to this. although we are not being obligated to go to a refreshment course, if you do you will also have an edge above the others that dont.

Needless to say that during the season our UIC will pass by every playfield to look and evaluate how his umps are doing on the field. Also the playeragent will give his opinion as how good/bad you are. And if necesary, you will be adressed and a coach assigned. This all happens voluntarly and no one even knows you are being put "under curatele" whahahah...

I have not been selected yet to preform abroad in an international game but I have done it here on the island. Eventhough I'm certified and go to refreshment courses sometimes twice a year, the fact that I do not have my equipment and have not "officialy" ump after the plate has me in a position that I will not be send abroad. And it's understandable cause my UIC could not say in has e-mail: He guys, to represent the Antilles we will be sending an ump but she has not chiefed any game yet so just put her on bases or foul-line...whahaha.... that will be the day. But as of next year...........

I also like to search for UMP tests on internet. But whith the exeption of LL it's a bit tricky as we do not always play by the same rules you guys do. F.e. we do not have HS.

Our AA plays also combined ruling so any test I take, I will have to go to my UIC and other fellow umps for assistant and further teaching.

But I really like this. It always becomes a happening. Somethimes just under a tree or something 2 starts talking, 1/2 hour later... 10 are discussing.... GREAT!

I will follow any course provided as they are all free. Our ump organisation provide us once a year with pants and shirts for the uniform. This is also free of charge. This is to compensate the fact that although they want to, they can not pay us a good "salary".

This year I will be working on my condition and further rule knowledge as I am trying to reach the USA to attend a course or clinic. Still searching for one. It should be between 3 to 7 days no more. When I am so far, I will be informing you guys so maybe we can meet and discuse rulings..whahhaha... lol. Meanwhile, I will be working on the BBterms used internationaly, as I already have encountered some problems here on the site... whahaha...

Never to old to learn something new!

Edited by Ros@
Testing

Ros@,

Intresting post. As for a clinic look into the southern umpires camp in Atlanta GA it is 4 days of intense training Taught by MLB, MiLB & NCAA umpires. I've been and you cant beet it. It should be asy to catch a flight to Atlanta from there.

The Southern Camp is for 2 man mechanics and the international is for 3 man mechanics. I've been to both and will go once again sometime down the road.

For us the importance to stay certified is for when the caribbean or international tournament takes place. No uncertified umpire will be sent abroad, only certified ones....

...Never to old to learn something new!

You miss my point, if staying certified is just a question of paying a fee, it is worthless. Certification should mean the accomplishment and maintenance of a level of skills & knowledge.

The implication (and subsequently confirmed)of the post I originally questioned was that staying certified was just a matter of paying a fee. I wouldn't be so proud to maintain that certification.

You miss my point, if staying certified is just a question of paying a fee, it is worthless. Certification should mean the accomplishment and maintenance of a level of skills & knowledge.

The implication (and subsequently confirmed)of the post I originally questioned was that staying certified was just a matter of paying a fee. I wouldn't be so proud to maintain that certification.

You are right on that... If you do not stribe to be better... then there is no point.

In our case, we are being evaluated every season by our UIC personaly and almost every game we play/ump by the player agent. Thus eventhough you are a certified Ump you might not be nominated due to your lack of competence. Afterall, you are representing the country when abroad.

To be or become a better Umpire relies within your own interest. Every single umpire is willing to help out both on mechanics as on ruling. And they all do it for free. I take every chance I get to learn and keep learning and learning others when possible.

Regards,

The good thing about staying certified is that you can't work some tournaments without it.

Another good thing is that if at some point if you do need to be certified you won't need to pay the test fee and retake the stupid 100 question test

The good thing about staying certified is that you can't work some tournaments without it.

Another good thing is that if at some point if you do need to be certified you won't need to pay the test fee and retake the stupid 100 question test

moblue doesn't take a test. He just pays a fee.:wow:

You are right in that staying certified isn't an accomplishment. You can't work the BR or CR World Series without it, and you aren't supposed to be able to work the regional tournaments without it. However, I was not asked to call the local Cal Ripken Regional, but I'm sure plenty of guys that were not certified for it were. It's making me question whether I should renew next year.