You might be a Smitty if....

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4968 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Another favorite

Uses a paintbrush for a plate brush.

I'm a "sneak-smitty" in this regard. Yes, I use a paintbrush. Now for the sneaky part... The handle has been cut off and it was never used for painting (no paint spatterings). It is the same size and shape as a commercial plate brush, but instead of buying a new plate brush, I simply used something that was collecting dust in the garage. It's still in decent shape, so until it's no good anymore, I ain't buying a new plate brush.

Just call me Smitty!!!!

Edited by catoblue

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear your cup and C/P outside of your clothes!!!!!

Guilty - not the cup part (that would look way worse than smitty). I've worn CP on the outside - only because for the many years before I bought my own gear, I used the league's gear - which consisted of the old "balloon" protectors. They'd look more smitty if you tried to wear them under your clothes!!!

Edited by catoblue

Guilty - not the cup part (that would look way worse than smitty). I've worn CP on the outside - only because for the many years before I bought my own gear, I used the league's gear - which consisted of the old "balloon" protectors. They'd look more smitty if you tried to wear them under your clothes!!!

Guilty again!!!! Regular season, I wear heather gray Flecheimer's, but for tourney's our LL district wants umpires in Navy Blue slacks with the powder blue polo shirts provided by the district - out come the Dickies!!!!

Like Stan Said First year gets a pass, but in my book so do some LL organizations. They have to use shared equipment and are under trained and are trying to make do.

Like Stan Said First year gets a pass, but in my book so do some LL organizations. They have to use shared equipment and are under trained and are trying to make do.

And if having to use wet, smelly gear won't convince you to buy your own then nothing will........

I have been there.........having been the 4th umpire in a day to wear the same Mask, CP and Shin guards....I immediately started my 2nd year umpire choices......

You scream "Foul" at the top of your lungs when the ball is fouled out of the ballpark behind home plate.

Been there, done that. No more though. How about wearing shin guards outside the pants? Yessiree, that's me. But it was a local league with no formal umpires. I had a young umpire this past season call a game with the balloon on the inside. Looked foolish but he didn't do too bad. Is it smitty to wear no hat behind the plate? That was me too until I bought my combo hat.

One of my favorites is the teen-umps that wear shorts and sneakers behind the plate - bare legs with SG's on and balloon pad. (LL Games)

They get away with it because we're hurting for umpires so bad.

One time we had a dad volunteer to PU a Minors game, he wore shorts, and sandals!!!!

I was playing in a tournament in south Georgia sometime back in the mid 80's. We just finished warming up before our game and stood around the backstop. There, behind the plate was this very large (and I mean huge) black man. Tucked behind his trousers was this fresh picked pine branch (or twig) with green pine needles. Believe it or not, turns out that pine branch was his plate brush. Also, after further review, we noticed he was not wearing any shin guards (now that is a true gamer). This man was a true spectacle and was admired by many of the locals.

True he had no mechanics but who would be the brave soul to challenge him. Turned out to be a decent tournament but, we never went back...

Man, you guys are harsh.

Captain America-That's funny.

But seriously, I hate the long sleeve undershirt under the short sleeve umpire shirt. Some of my friends do it in COLLEGE games (granted they are lowly D-3/NAIA but still, it looks STUPID). I rag them to buy the proper jacket, get a long sleeve shirt or even better, get a plate coat. Not having any luck with them yet. Our assigner told them never to wear it like that again AFTER it got warm last year. So, we'll see this year.

One time we had a dad volunteer to PU a Minors game, he wore shorts, and sandals!!!!

Sorry that is just plain stupid.... I think my shoes protect my feet from fouls/bad pitches only once or twice a year, but have protected me from catchers more...

...if you wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath a short-sleeve uniform shirt. (And no, it doesn't matter if they're the same color)! :TD:

I did this my first year, but then got a long sleeve shirt.

I just got a black jacket..ie nice wife.....an early Christmas present..

Lucky, I want to get a jacket.

I keep getting e-mails from Officials Choice, www.theofficialschoice.com , advertising jackets for as low as $27.50. Their shirts are decent for the price so maybe they have the jackets figured out too. Merry Chistmas to Warren?

Edited by Majordave
wrong web address

I keep getting e-mails from Officials Choice, www.theofficialschoice.com , advertising jackets for as low as $27.50. Their shirts are decent for the price so maybe they have the jackets figured out too. Merry Chistmas to Warren?

Great Price and I like the long sleeve shirt I have from The Officials Choice. Our association has adopted the Boathouse Jacket and this will be the last year we can wear our +POS ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...if you wear a long-sleeve shirt underneath a short-sleeve uniform shirt. (And no, it doesn't matter if they're the same color)! :wow:

I may have to always be one in this case and this is why.

When I work the plate, I don't care the weather, I like to wear the long sleeve HeatGear under my equipment. It helps to keep me cool. It covers my arms to keep from getting burned and I don't have to wear that smelly, greasy sunscreen. I think the black under black looks just fine, which is the only color I will wear it under. So, when I do the plate, I wear the black shirt because it looks good under most conditions and doesn't show any dust or mud splatters unlike the Light Blue or other light colors.

And, in the South, it can get pretty hot. The HeatGear works pretty good and I think the Black on Black looks fine.

I may have to always be one in this case and this is why.

When I work the plate, I don't care the weather, I like to wear the long sleeve HeatGear under my equipment. It helps to keep me cool. It covers my arms to keep from getting burned and I don't have to wear that smelly, greasy sunscreen. I think the black under black looks just fine, which is the only color I will wear it under. So, when I do the plate, I wear the black shirt because it looks good under most conditions and doesn't show any dust or mud splatters unlike the Light Blue or other light colors.

And, in the South, it can get pretty hot. The HeatGear works pretty good and I think the Black on Black looks fine.

Simple. Get a black long sleeve jersey.