Cleaning the Plate

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5011 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call time if necessary, such as after a play at the plate if there are other runners but will try to wait for an advantageous time when it is a dead ball or a mound visit if possible.

+1.

I don't like to call time. Never really a reason to unless, like carolinablue said, play at plate or something.

I'm starting to try to avoid it. Like above, if no R3 I just go out and brush it if it needs it or I can't see the corners. Sometimes it needs to be done a lot, other time hardly at all. Yesterday was one of those lots of times. Not just runs, but the dirt was so loose every time someone went near the plate a bunch of dirt would get on it. And a runner sliding in was like trying to dig out a sandbox to get to the bottom of the dirt.

I won't clean the plate until it's either a dead ball situation, or between innings, if it is absolutely needing to be done during live play I will call time out, trying to pick the best moment that won't disrupt the game's flow. I AM one of those umpire that's anal about the plate being spotless, even to the point where some of the coaches I have fun with will intentionally walk by between innings and kick some dirt on it to jack with me. it's all done in fun of course

I call time if I am brushing it especially if there is a R3. If I'm kicking a corner off then no but I don't clean the plate unless it really needs it.

This is me. I've never thought about NOT calling time -- my back is to the infield, and even in 2-man, I like to see what's going on.

to me its all about game managment. I dont call time out to clean the plate unless like the above mentioned play at the plate and still others on base. I also wont grant time out to a fielder before he throws the ball back to the picher. it drives me crazy to see guys do that, let the fielder throw the ball away, its not up to us to make sure little jonny dosent screw up.......... sorry guys, im ranting

The main reason I asked this question is because a couple of days ago I was working a U15 game. I was PU. Batter walked and as he went to first he kicked some dirt on the plate.

I went around and cleaned the plate and as I turn around I see BU calling the R1 safe at 2nd.

I never called time. The DC asked if I had call time I said No.

No argument he just walked away.

If there's a play at the plate, I'll let it all settle, and call time and clean it off nice. Between innings before we get going, ....and if a batter kicks stuff over the plate during an inning, ..I'll wait and if needed, do a quick brush, but won't call time.

Sometimes, I'll walk in between the batter and F2 and just kick it off real quick while facing the field, ...but I try not to call time...

Sometimes, I'll walk in between the batter and F2 and just kick it off real quick while facing the field, ...but I try not to call time...

Am I the only one that thinks this looks unprofessional? I've seen MLB umps do it, and it annoys me.

I could be in the boat by myself.

Am I the only one that thinks this looks unprofessional? I've seen MLB umps do it, and it annoys me.

I do it before the batter gets up to the plate, ...and I don't do it often, and it's only if a corner is dirty, so it's one quick kick ...it's not a 'total cleaning' :)

but I agree with you, .....I shouldn't:banghead:

I'm right there in your boat.

Went to a MiLB game the other day and the PU did this every time he cleaned the plate. Then he bent over and brushed it off... Would've taken half the time if he'd brushed it off to begin with.

Do you call Time when you have to clean the plate?

Some Umps around here tell me you should some tell me you don't.

If you're umpiring a league where the players run better than they throw and catch (read: youth), then call time.

If you're umpiring a league where the player would be out by 45' if he tried something this stupid and where the players understand the rhythm of the game, then there's no need.

The main reason I asked this question is because a couple of days ago I was working a U15 game. I was PU. Batter walked and as he went to first he kicked some dirt on the plate.

I went around and cleaned the plate and as I turn around I see BU calling the R1 safe at 2nd.

At that particular time there was NO reason for you to clean the plate.

After the BR walked wait and see what happens. Until we have the next batter up and F1 ready to pitch there is NO need to clean the plate yet. That falls under game management.

I am with Jim and Carolina. If possible wait for a dead ball situation and then clean the plate.

Also, you have to have a "feel" for the game. If one team is aggressive on the bases, then make certain play is ACTUALLY stopped before you clean the plate. Also, as Jim said pay attention to R3 before you clean the plate.

REMEMBER: EVERYTIME you call TIME, the ball MUST be made live again. Some umpires do not put the ball back into play and that can make for a mess.

NOTE: if you are solo, I would call TIME when dusting off the plate (with runenrs on) because you have no partner to help you and your back is turned away from the action.

Pete Booth

After the BR walked wait and see what happens. Until we have the next batter up and F1 ready to pitch there is NO need to clean the plate yet. That falls under game management.

Disagree. 95% of the time this will just delay the game. You can get the plate cleaned off and be ready to go by the time the batter reaches first and the next batter is ready to step into the box.

If you're umpiring a league where the players run better than they throw and catch (read: youth), then call time.

Calling only LL games, I find this particularly true. If I don't yell TIME!, chances are, F2 will get in his squat and F1 will be pitching - even with me in the way!!!!!

Pete makes a great point.

If you can do it, by not calling time, take a second or two and do it. If a man on third, take a peek..... if a kid just slid into home, and you have a dirt pile, call time and make it pretty..... Dont use your feet unless you can make a quick swipe to remove a bit. The guys that dont take out a brush, look like garbage....