New Balance MU450MK Plate Shoes

Blue23
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5014 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned this the hard way. I actually broke and replaced both laces on a pair of NB 450s at the same sitting. I never broke both laces on a pair of shoes in my entire life, but getting ready to call a tournament game, with no time to spare, and they both break.

Well, from that day forward, I always carry my back-ups in the car. (I have two pairs of 450s. Whenever I like a pair of shoes, I buy a second pair and rotate, and they seem to last longer that way. Don't ask me why. I also doctored one pair with nail polish on the logos for my one all-black-shoes association.) So I'm getting ready to call a game with one of my assignors, and I break a lace on pair No. 2. I take the shoe off, put it away, and pull out my second pair and start putting them on, leaving the one with the lace issue for later. The assignor guy was very impressed with that. (Assignors can be impressed by almost anything.) "You are the most prepared umpire I have worked with. That's very impressive," he said. :clap:

It's true about the laces. I was lucky. I was working with a partner (who also has NB plate shoes) and his snapped before the game. He didn't have any backups, so I gave him one of mine. I bought 2 pairs of extra laces the next day and, as luck would have it, mine snapped too!

These are the shoes I wear and I really like them. At ~72 bucks, you got one heck of a deal! As others have said, the shoes laces aren't the greatest. I would buy a spare set and carry them with you.

I'd just replace them, as you'll bust 'em right before game time, and then go into panic mode. They're a bitch to lace in a hurry, trust me.

I'd just replace them, as you'll bust 'em right before game time, and then go into panic mode. They're a bitch to lace in a hurry, trust me.

They're a bitch to lace on a peaceful evening.

It's true about the laces. I was lucky. I was working with a partner (who also has NB plate shoes) and his snapped before the game. He didn't have any backups, so I gave him one of mine. I bought 2 pairs of extra laces the next day and, as luck would have it, mine snapped too!

This is exactly what happened to me and what I did.

Snapped mine off as I was tying my shoe. I was freaking out as I didn't have any spares. I was about to jump into the car and go to Wal-Mart (only 5 blocks away), but he bailed me out. The next day I went to Wal-Mart. I brought 3 pairs. I kept two for myself and mailed the third to my partner.

I just ordered a pair that will be here tomorrow. I will have a game tomorrow night and am not sure if I will have time to relace before the game, but want to be prepared. What length of laces do these use?

Also, what base shoes are recommended?

I believe that they are 54" long. This takes some patience and it helps to have a pair of needle nose pliers or forceps. It is not as bad as others make it seem but, then again I was home with a cold beverage and not at the field in between games sweating it out. I would not want to do this in a hurry.