Wendy's pads. Wow!

Hackman61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3937 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looks like I may have a brand new pair available with a Diamond iX3 Mask based on doctor recommendation to wear only HSMs :crybaby2:

Will decide what to do after some research.

Looks like I may have a brand new pair available with a Diamond iX3 Mask based on doctor recommendation to wear only HSMs :crybaby2:

Will decide what to do after some research.

You know why??

Because the NOCSAE doesn't currently have any standards for traditional masks without helmets! That's why your Dr. is saying this Lou, ...guaranteed

• 5 months later...

So I broke down and bought a set that arrived yesterday. Out of the box, I gotta say I expected them to be a little more "cushiony."

Perhaps it was my fault - after reading all the posts on here I expected them to feel like a cloud from Heaven tickling my face. They seem a little stiff and I'm having a hard time getting the bottom of the chin pad to stay down and not push up against my jaw, which is promblimatic but I think I can fix that with experimenting with the Velcro configuration.

Like any sane person would do, I put them on and then proceeded to face palm myself to see what a shot would feel like. I wasn't blown away - granted this wasn't exactly an episode of Sports Science.

Have you guys found that they break-in and form to your face a little bit? Anyone else feel the same way I did out of the box?

I'm replacing the Diamond stocks in my Ix3 that felt much more comfortable so far, but I know I'll explode if I take another face shot with those on.

I took one shot with those stock Diamond pads to convince me to swap them out. I actually felt the metal frame hit my jaw.

The TW are firm, and I've found they change viscosity with the temperature. Hard when cold, and no so when warm. Also, they warm up when worn.

My 1st pair, I wasn't all that happy. They weren't as comfortablle as the leather I was used to. I took a hard shot with the leather and got lockjawed and a very sharp pain in my right ear. So out go the leather, in with a new pair of TW. I got used to the feel, and must say the protection far exceeds my expectations. I will not wear any other pads from here on out.

I had the same first impression of the pads. I prefer leather rather than fabric, but I use them for the superior protection, not for their comfort. I do wish they made them in the wrap around style - can't see how that would lessen their protection.

• 4 months later...

Guys I have a question about the velcro placement on these pads. i have 6 mask with 6 different pads. These are the first pads I own where the male part of the velcro comes from the top of the mask to the bottom of the mask. How did you loop the harness through the middle part of the pads? The only way I can do it makes the velcro obsolete since there is no slot for the harness to go through the pads.

Guys I have a question about the velcro placement on these pads. i have 6 mask with 6 different pads. These are the first pads I own where the male part of the velcro comes from the top of the mask to the bottom of the mask. How did you loop the harness through the middle part of the pads? The only way I can do it makes the velcro obsolete since there is no slot for the harness to go through the pads.

not quite following you. They mount like other pads.

Since the male part of the velcro strap on the pads comes from the top to the bottom, unlike any other pads I own, I am unable to bring the harness through the middle strap. I have to loop it arouhd the frame, which renders the slip on the lower female part of the velcro useless. Maybe i'm missing something, just never encountered velcro straps like these

I'm having a hard time telling but it looks like your pad is installed backwards. The opening for the harness strap should be facing the rear of the frame (towards your face).

+1

Thats how I do it atleast.

I'm having a hard time telling but it looks like your pad is installed backwards. The opening for the harness strap should be facing the rear of the frame (towards your face).

+1

Thats how I do it atleast.

That's the case. The opening of the harness is facing the front of the frame and there is no opening facing the rear of the frame, I just somehow managed to word that in as long a way as possible.I believe I may have a manufactured defect, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy and that wasn't a stock feature from Team Wendy. I spent about 3 hours last night b/w trying to find a suitable pic for comparison anywhere online and trying to find a way to make it work with the harness opening facing inward and no opening on the backside lol

In my first year of the TW pads - love them (used to wear the wilson wrap-arounds).

I see lots of posts here that guys are just throwing them into the washing machine to clean them - Do you need to put them in some sort of bag to keep them from getting caught on other stuff? Or do you just throw them in?

Thanks

Got the problem resolved. When I received the pads they were contoured or 'U'ed in the wrong direction. I assumed this was the direction they were intended to be placed in the frame. I contacted Team Wendy and was informed that they may have been bent they way during handling and molded into that form during the cold weather prior to shipment. It was a simple fix, I was pretty sure this was the case, just wanted to hear from them in order to remove the actuality that I received a manufacturered defect. I love the pads, received a prompt call from Team Wendy and will be purchasing the black pads in the future to complement my tan ones.