DOUGLAS GETS BACK IN THE GAME! NEW CHEST PROTECTORS AND SHINS

DOUGLAS
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3703 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well, here I am a day early. I had the opportunity to wear my new Douglas leg guards tonight for a game.

Some things I wish I had done before putting them on to walk to the field.

1. Taped the straps. They stick out...it wasn't an issue because my polys were heavy enough.

2. The wider ankle plates that wrap around, kept my plate pants from catching on the back of my plate shoes, this was a pleasant surprise because I didn't have to adjust my plate pants b/c the back didn't catch on that strap on the Reebok Plate shoes.

3. They fit like a glove. They might be a bit warm in the summer. Tonight it was in the 50's and chilly so they were pretty comfortable.

4. Overall, these give my All Star leg guards a run for their money.

5. They're super low-profile too. I got a pretty good deal on mine, but I wouldn't hesitate suggesting them to anybody on here who's looking for a high end leg guard. Very, very impressed!

Way to go Douglas!

Well, here I am a day early. I had the opportunity to wear my new Douglas leg guards tonight for a game.

Some things I wish I had done before putting them on to walk to the field.

1. Taped the straps. They stick out...it wasn't an issue because my polys were heavy enough.

2. The wider ankle plates that wrap around, kept my plate pants from catching on the back of my plate shoes, this was a pleasant surprise because I didn't have to adjust my plate pants b/c the back didn't catch on that strap on the Reebok Plate shoes.

3. They fit like a glove. They might be a bit warm in the summer. Tonight it was in the 50's and chilly so they were pretty comfortable.

4. Overall, these give my All Star leg guards a run for their money.

5. They're super low-profile too. I got a pretty good deal on mine, but I wouldn't hesitate suggesting them to anybody on here who's looking for a high end leg guard. Very, very impressed!

Way to go Douglas!

So what do you think is best, douglas or all star leg guards? Or is this one of those douglas vs all star CP decisions and it's a coin toss?

I want to try them both when it's 85 degrees out and see if one is cooler than the other. I think protection is a push. I like the fact that my pant legs stay down w/ the Douglas...at this point, it really is a coin flip w/ a slight edge to the Douglas for the maintenance free experience I had today.

I want to try them both when it's 85 degrees out and see if one is cooler than the other. I think protection is a push. I like the fact that my pant legs stay down w/ the Douglas...at this point, it really is a coin flip w/ a slight edge to the Douglas for the maintenance free experience I had today.

I've never had a problem with my pants getting caught up using All-Star shins

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love my Douglas gear. I have a 13-inch factory fresh last generation black CP sitting in the closet unused. I have a 12-inch black CP customized with T-hooks and slots and fitted with an All-Star Delta Flex harness. It fits beautifully, is crazy comfortable and very sleek. And I have the shins I acquired with the 12-inch. 

The shins are awesome. They are every bit as protective as the Wilson Golds (very similar design and coverage) but markedly lighter and more comfortable. Once I got them refurbished by Douglas (new hooks, eyes, straps and cleaned and repaired pads), they were my go-to shins for the highest-velocity pitching. That being said, I acquired them for $20, and refurbished them for $40. So for $60, they are truly remarkable. For as much as $40-to-$50 more, they'd still be great. For $100 more than I paid, I don't see it. I'd buy a pair of Bauers, a pair of Wilson Golds, and I'd still have enough left over to buy a new pair of poly-wools.