What I'm not looking to this season.

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5870 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was speaking with this guy I work with about the upcoming season. He is much more senior than I in both age and experience and has a, dare I say, more negative tone about life the universe and everything. I told him how anxious I am for the new season and he went on the list of things he is not looking forward to.

While I want to try and keep the tone up beat, what are you not looking forward to?

I am not looking forward to poorly maintained youth ball fields where the silt has replaced the sand, where the first base line is the gully that has been worn down for the past 50 years.

Also the break away bases, that come out every time a kid slides. I played on the old traditional bases and cannot recall anybody ever being hurt. Now each time a kid slides he knocks the base out, then the hole fills in with the silt and we have to take 5 minuets to get it all out then reset the base. On some fields I bet we spent 15-20 min a game just resetting the bases. It drives me crazy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it'll be a while before I'm on the field, I'm not looking forward to the coaches, players and parents or fans who go off of the misconceptions about the rules - tie goes to the runner, the hands are part of the bat, he got hit by the pitch even if he was swinging at it - those sort of things.

Oh, yeah, and one of my favorites - that the runner has the right to the baseline, which is a straight line between the bases, and no fielder shall enter that line for any reason at any time.

I think the holding the bat out over the plate and not pulling back is one of those baseball rules myths that keeps being propagated by cretins who can't read the rule book or are too lazy to read it or too stupid to have comprehended what they read. I had it in a NCAA D2 weekend series recently. Wasn't a big deal but I had to tell a coach that holding the bat out without moving it at the pitch was not offering at the pitch. Unless, of course, the coaches are trying to pull a fast one on an unenlightened umpire? (Naw, a coach would never do that and a college level umpire would know that rule, right?) Had a former ML player arguing with me at a 13U game. B1 squares and gets hit in the shins by a FB in the middle of the batters box. DHC wanted me to call a strike and keep the hitter in the box because he didn't pull the bat back. I couldn't understand what he was complaining about because I didn't get that he thought the batter was required to pull back rather then offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not looking forward to another year of listening to guys gripe and moan about who gets what games. Everyone knows who can work and who can't in an association. I get tired of hearing guys b----- about not getting Varsity assignments in their first or second year or even longer for some guys. There is a reason you are called "rookie" (it's not a slight) or some guys just never learn what it takes. Whatever the level you work...go out there and give them the best umpiring they could have that day. I have worked with guys on a "J" game and they act as though it's beneath them. Quit crying and work what you're assigned to the best of your ability. The game is NOT ABOUT YOU! It is about giving the kids playing your best and honoring the GAME.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever somebody gripes about the games that they've gotten, I usually let them know that I'll be happy to take them over while they go do something that doesn't earn them any money, or while they have time to do house- or yardwork. They usually quit griping after that, and begin to realize that, in most of those cases, they should be considered lucky to still get assignments at all. In my experience, the ones griping are the ones who usually don't do very good jobs on the field anyway...

Whenever somebody gripes about the games that they've gotten, I usually let them know that I'll be happy to take them over while they go do something that doesn't earn them any money, or while they have time to do house- or yardwork. They usually quit griping after that, and begin to realize that, in most of those cases, they should be considered lucky to still get assignments at all. In my experience, the ones griping are the ones who usually don't do very good jobs on the field anyway...

Mep- You and I may be in the same association. Heck, you may even be my assignor. But I gripe when I don't get ENOUGH games! HS season is only 2 months. I gotta get my work in while I can! I just can't understand why anybody would turn games away unless they have a legitimate scheduling conflict, or they're pompous prima donnas.

Actually "gripe" isn't the right word at all, because I don't think it's very tactful or mature. I "ask nicely" about maybe getting other assignments without compromising other guys' schedules.

I'm looking forward to my first game on April 1st. I'm going to insist on the plate because who can beat snow flurries and 15 degree windchills in upstate New York. Gotta stay warm somehow... and you know what? I'm gonna love every minute of it. I can't wait!

Either you are looking forward to it or not, be positive. If you go out there with a tone, you will have a long day and a lot of problems. If you are tired of it, stop.

Semperfi, have you ever called a game as a VOLUNTEER?

If you are not looking forward to the season or you have doubts of a certain team, game or day that you are calling, don't talk about it to your partner or anyone else. In other words, if you are calling a game with me and you are in the dumps, don't try to drag me down with you.

Be optimistic about yourself. Have fun and let the kids have fun.