Register or Sign In to remove these ads

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

For those who aren't aware, ...the night sky has more than just stars and constellations to view...there are also 5 planets viewable with the naked eye. This month, Venus and Jupiter have been putting on quite a show right after sunset in the West sky ....be sure to check it out!

http://www.space.com...onjunction.html

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Posted · Report post

Jeff, thanks a lot! My 5-year-old son loves looking at the stars. When we were in Cincinnati this past weekend, we noticed the two "big stars" next to each other and assumed they were planets. I thought Mars and Venus, but never checked online to double-check. Now I know!

Posted · Report post

Jeff, thanks a lot! My 5-year-old son loves looking at the stars. When we were in Cincinnati this past weekend, we noticed the two "big stars" next to each other and assumed they were planets. I thought Mars and Venus, but never checked online to double-check. Now I know!

My pleasure!

For Mars, you have 2 options. 1) Go look in the EAST at the same angle in the sky for Mars (same time you're looking at Venus and Jupiter) ... the stable , non blinking, reddish dot is Mars. 2) If your'e an early riser, around 5-7am, you can see Mars in the same spot you're view Venus and Jupiter :D

Posted · Report post

I noticed the two bright stars in the sky last week when it was nice outside. Sadly we havent been able to see them since because of a series of storms that has flowed through the Pacific NW over the last week. I think we only had blue in the sky for about a hour or two total this entire week (with that said, we have had a total of THREE high school games played this week... all three were a week ago tomorrow).

Posted · Report post

Cool thanks, now I can tell the boy scouts at our camp out this weekend and sound like I know something about the stars.

Posted · Report post

Cool thanks, now I can tell the boy scouts at our camp out this weekend and sound like I know something about the stars.

PLANETS

Posted · Report post

PLANETS

Y'all can really be picky about wording around here! I was thinking I would point out that those are Planets and not stars.....

Posted · Report post

PLANETS

Y'all can really be picky about wording around here! I was thinking I would point out that those are Planets and not stars.....

Relax, I'm not being picky. Big difference between starst and planets. I noticed what you said, and wanted to clarify because you'd feel pretty stupid calling Venus and Jupiter stars at your Boy Scouts camp, ... right? :wave:

Posted · Report post

PLANETS

Relax, I'm not being picky. Big difference between starst and planets. I noticed what you said, and wanted to clarify because you'd feel pretty stupid calling Venus and Jupiter stars at your Boy Scouts camp, ... right? :wave:

One thing I forget to keep in mind is that you guys only know me from what I post on this site.

I always point out to my boys the stars and the planets. I tell them that planets don't swinkal like stars.

This weekend is the state of Louisiana Boy Scouts Cuboree.... I may need to put all my gear on all weekend to survive this!!!

Posted · Report post

PLANETS

People just see your weakness being so defensive all the time so they test you.