Plate Coat

nickseevers
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm a 1st year umpire, our organization is really good and a retiring umpire came in and gave us all his old uniform. I got a few shirts a pair of base shoes and best of all a Fechheimer navy blue plate coat. None of the new guys knew any better and thanks to this fourm I grabbed it. So I have the question, what do I wear under the coat normal umpire shirt? And what color works best under a navy blue coat? Secondly, it is a little small without my CP on is it a huge no-no to wear the coat without buttoning the front?

Thanks

There are differing opinions on what to wear under the coat. One group says nothing but your chest protector and the undershirt under it. The other says to wear a shirt (usually a turtleneck or mock turtleneck) over the CP. For navy blue, I'd probably wear a navy as well. You should definitely button ANY suit coat.

So I have the question, what do I wear under the coat

A tenured umpire.

Secondly, it is a little small without my CP on is it a huge no-no to wear the coat without buttoning the front?

Yup

If it's small without your CP, it's too small for you.

I'd sell it, put the money away, and buy a proper sized one in four years. A plate coat is something that should be earned, IMO. It makes a statement, when worn. It says "I know what I'm doing, I've been doing this a long time, Fear the Coat".

Yeah, I know that sounds arrogant, and snooty. And that's probably the only piece of gear that you have to earn to wear. But I'll bet you get more than one guy to agree with me on this one. Earn it.

• Like 3

I figured it was too small, I'm going to try it with the CP and see if it works.

I'm honestly a little intimated of wearing a coat to a game, but we'll see. I know I can get a bit of money out of it, but feel a little guilty selling something I got for free.

I figured it was too small, I'm going to try it with the CP and see if it works.

I'm honestly a little intimated of wearing a coat to a game, but we'll see. I know I can get a bit of money out of it, but feel a little guilty selling something I got for free.

dont feel intimidated about wearing a plate coat...if its too small...lose a few pounds LOL or take it to a tailor to see if he can take it out a bit...i dont know if a plate coat has to be earned or not...but i ll tell u alot of guys wearing plate coats on the diamond with many years of experience have no business umpiring little league let alone the plate coat at higher levels

Every time I've seen an umpire walk onto a field in a plate coat for a college or high school (and one men's league) game, my first thought was that they were a highly capable veteran umpire.

Do what Kyle says. Become a highly capable veteran umpire before donning the plate coat.

Also, sell or donate the navy one to someone who can use it now, because by the time you earn plate coat status, you'll need it to be black.

• Like 1

No one in the other thread said that it had to be earned but I just figured that they are for the best umpires. I showed my wife the picture and said in a few years that's going to be me. Of course she said "that's good" haha not understanding it. Plate coats just look like another level of umpire.

I have been wanting plate coat for a year or so but have held back because I sort of didn't think I had earned it as Kylejt suggested one should do. I have many years of rec ball and competitive tournament experience but just started doing middle school and some high school over the past few years. I've been to the Southern Umpire camp, the state NFHS camp and several local clinics. I plan on going to the International camp this year. So how do I know when I have earned the right to wear a plate coat?

Every time I've seen an umpire walk onto a field in a plate coat for a college or high school (and one men's league) game, my first thought was that they were a highly capable veteran umpire.

Do what Kyle says. Become a highly capable veteran umpire before donning the plate coat.

Also, sell or donate the navy one to someone who can use it now, because by the time you earn plate coat status, you'll need it to be black.

No, No, a thousand times no. :hopmad:

I am one of theose veteran umpires who has worn a plate coat for years. We need to get younger umpires into them, I can't tell you how many young umpires have said how good I look in a plate "but I would never be caught dead wearing one". They think a jacket or long sleeve shirt is the best look behind a plate. It isn't by a million miles and a couple hundred meters added on. Or worst of all they pay $60 every two years for the latest jacket, instead of something they can wear their whole career.

If the man wants to wear a plate coat by all means do so! Just make a commitment to the game to wear it with pride!

• Like 1

There are certain, unwritten, codes, that permiate lots of sports.

When I was racing bicycles, you didn't wear a jersey of a team you didn't ride for. Or, even worse, you didn't wear a national or world championship if you didn't earn it. You'd be labeled a "Fred".

The "Kook" status could be earned while trying to surf over your skill level, or use gear waaaay beyond your ability.

It's kinda that way with umpiring, too. You don't wear an MLB cap or shirt on the field. You don't wear any patches of associations you don't belong to. And nobody wants to be a "Smitty" out there.

Now understand that this is coming from a guy who wears long sleeves on the bases, and won't wear those smocks if paid to, so I'm no follower of what others do. But I do realize the traditions, and expectations of things in this quirky umpire world, and I just wanted to point them out.

But in the end, it's America. Do what you want.

(Well, except for wearing those Honig's leather ball bags, for which you'd be officially be the newest Village Person)

I agree with the above. I have wanted a plate coat for years (and just like Triguy... something SWMBO doesnt understand) but it is something you should earn the opportunity to wear. If you have to ask you are not there yet. It is something you know you are ready for.

I have decided, for myself, that I will have a plate coat when I make it back into the college ranks (was in the JuCo association in my old state and havent cracked that glass ceiling since moving north three years ago) OR when I make it my my first state finals assignment.

I know I have earned the right to wear one... now its just a matter of convincing the powers that be (the wife) that I should spend $300 on one.

I'm going to talk to some guys in my Association but I'm probably going to sell it.

Anyone want to buy it here? I'm a 44R it's a bit small for me. I can get into it and button one button but no both. My guess is it's a 40 or 42. As I said its Navy.

I don't actually know what they sell for so I'll do some research and put it in the Buy thread later today or tomorrow. For giving me insight I'll let you guys PM me if you want it before I try to actually sell it elsewhere.

Thanks

You only button the TOP button, on a plate coat, as that allows maximum mobility. Also, be sure to double stich it, as I've had the button pop off during a game. No fun.

I sold a navy 42R last year for around $175. Two came up last week, and sold for $40 and $55. So it's really hard to gauge the market right now. You just need two bidders who want it bad, at the same time. I sold a pair of polywools for over $250, because two guys just had to have them. You never know how auctions will play out.

I agree with the above. I have wanted a plate coat for years (and just like Triguy... something SWMBO doesnt understand) but it is something you should earn the opportunity to wear. If you have to ask you are not there yet. It is something you know you are ready for.

I have decided, for myself, that I will have a plate coat when I make it back into the college ranks (was in the JuCo association in my old state and havent cracked that glass ceiling since moving north three years ago) OR when I make it my my first state finals assignment.

I know I have earned the right to wear one... now its just a matter of convincing the powers that be (the wife) that I should spend $300 on one.

I understand (if not agree with) the mindset of needing a certain amount of seasoning before wearing a plate coat but why set artifical limits on yourself? When I hit the age of 30, I'll have called baseball for just over a decade (not continuously) and not necessarily at a high level. I'd have no problem donning a plate coat for a night game because I like the look. Although by the end of March, I doubt I'd be wearing much more than short sleeves. It tends to get a little toasty down this way. :)

Kyle is really trying to make a point I think... :smachhead:

I see where you're coming from...I think I am just arrogant enough while officiating that I could pull it off. That does raise one question, do I want to be the only umpire in the area that wears one? I have no idea if that is actually the case but it's worth pondering.

I've decided to take the majority opinion here and have posted it in the Buy and Sell section (http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/25207-fechheimer-navy-plate-coat/)

In a couple of years I will get one and wear it until it's 100 degrees just to prove I deserve it :)

In a couple of years I will get one and wear it until it's 100 degrees just to prove I deserve it :)

By "a couple of years," I think you meant "at least a dozen years."

Sorry fellas, I don't know what happened there. I wish there was some way to delete a whole post.

They've been deleted. Now everyone's post about it looks funny.