2012 test

blp79
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4409 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am working on my states FED practice test,I think I am over thinking this one.With R1 at first base, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

A. Obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base; and award the base he is forced to by BR's obstruction award unless he advances further while the ball is in play

B. Inference on the BR; call him out and return R1 to first base

C. Incidental contact; play on

D. The out stands; award R1 2nd base

I am saying a,But for some reason i am doubting myself

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on my states FED practice test,I think I am over thinking this one.With R1 at first base, less than two outs. A shot back at the pitcher deflects off the pitcher's foot toward first base. The pitcher chases the ball into the baseline between home and first. The pitcher arrives at the ball ahead of the batter-runner. As the pitcher is reaching for the ball, the batter-runner collides with the pitcher (not malicious) and both players fall to the ground. The pitcher gets up with the ball and tosses to first base for the put-out on the batter-runner.

A. Obstruction on the pitcher; award BR at least first base; and award the base he is forced to by BR's obstruction award unless he advances further while the ball is in play

B. Inference on the BR; call him out and return R1 to first base

C. Incidental contact; play on

D. The out stands; award R1 2nd base

I am saying a,But for some reason i am doubting myself

B is my answer , on a fair batted ball fielder has a right to field the ball , BR must avoid F1 .

blp79,

I believe your initial answer of "a" is the correct one.

If you look at the FED rule language, under FED, a runner is only out if he...

... hinders a fielder on his INITIAL (my emphasis) attempt to field a batted ball. A fielder is not protected ... if he misplays the ball and has to move from his original location... (8-4-2g)

Since the F1 kicked it (literally), he is afforded no protection unless he subsequently regains possession of the ball.

I'd go with "A" - that's obstruction.

JM

UmpJM, I see your 8-4-2g and raise you 8-4-2g1:

...If a fielder drops a batted ball and contact with a runner occurs during a subsequent attempt to field the ball, the fielder has the greater responsibility for avoiding contact.

The only way I am going to rule interference on the play, as stated, is if it was intentional.

...If a fielder drops a batted ball and contact with a runner occurs during a subsequent attempt to field the ball, the fielder has the greater responsibility for avoiding contact.

The only way I am going to rule interference on the play, as stated, is if it was intentional.

If he dropped it it's at his feet and within his reach. Deflected ball is away from the fielder and he's chasing it.

If he dropped it it's at his feet and within his reach. Deflected ball is away from the fielder and he's chasing it.

Right Rich, which makes the case for obstruction on the OP even stronger.

I have B. The fact that the situation says a SHOT back at the pitcher, leads me to the thought that the pitcher was unable to attempt a play and it deflected off his foot. His chase to the ball is his first play. IMHO. I have B. INT. Shoot holes at me if you wish but thsi is my gut, and my mind are both on the same page.

I believe you need to recheck your NCAA reference. In NCAA I believe if it goes off the ptcher and it deflects to F4, F4 may have protection.

I remember a youtube post with this exact play that lead to the NCAA rule change. And I remember them saying at the West Coast clinic in SD back in 2009 that this was now INT as long as F1 was in the process of fielding the ball. I think their reasoning was much like Bat said above... that F1 had not had the chance to actually make a play on the ball.

agreed. But I am just as sure that in the OP which describes F1 reaching to field the kicked ball the NCAA said this would be INT as long as F1 is in the imminent act of fielding the ball.

Of course not every event is the same but in this one I would have to say INT. Ill have to find that video that lead to the NCAA rule. We have all seen the video I am talking about but its worth look at again.

BT_Blue,

Perhaps it's this video?

Rule 2, Interference (Section 50) A.R. 5 was added the following year:

A.R. 5—If a fielder chases after a deflected batted ball ahead of a runner’s arrival and is

in the act of picking up the ball (fielding) when contact is made by an offensive player,

interference is the call. If the fielder is chasing after the deflected batted ball and contact is

made between the two players, obstruction should be the call.

JM