It is optional for the base umpire to carry an indicator if the field has a scoreboard

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4377 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FED

120. It is optional for the base umpire to carry an indicator if the field has a scoreboard.

a. True b. False

Appreciate the opinions, however, I am looking for the correct answer for a FED test.

Can't find anything in the book.

Thanks!

FED

120. It is optional for the base umpire to carry an indicator if the field has a scoreboard.

a. True b. False

Appreciate the opinions, however, I am looking for the correct answer for a FED test.

Can't find anything in the book.

Thanks!

Since it is not a requirement for the BU to carry an indicator, I would say TRUE regardless of the scoreboard issue.

WTF??? Really???

I don't have a book but I'd say true because I believe it would always be optional regardless of the scoreboard situation.

I've got to look and see when Virginia's & North Carolina's testing windows are....

I've never made a 100 but last year I got a 99 and with stupid questions like that they are going to get you.

I havent carried one on the bases in several years. I would say that it IS optional for the base umpire to carry one... plate, not so much.

Plus, how often does a HS have an accurate scoreboard or if it is accurate, there are lights missing/out that make it look bad.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this (I can't believe I'm admitting it to you guys). I don't use a indictor when working the stick. I bring one with me but it stays in my pocket the whole time. I know it's sounds kind of crazy but I loss the count more often when I try to use one. I probably haven't used a indictor in four or five seasons and I can only think of one time that it got me in trouble. I'm not saying that I haven't lost the count a time or two but normally the Gods have the kid ground out for me so nothing ever comes of it. Anyhow, everybody can act appalled now, I'm just curious as to anybody else like me? Kev, what do you think?

I know I'm going to catch hell for this (I can't believe I'm admitting it to you guys). I don't use a indictor when working the stick. I bring one with me but it stays in my pocket the whole time. I know it's sounds kind of crazy but I loss the count more often when I try to use one. I probably haven't used a indictor in four or five seasons and I can only think of one time that it got me in trouble. I'm not saying that I haven't lost the count a time or two but normally the Gods have the kid ground out for me so nothing ever comes of it. Anyhow, everybody can act appalled now, I'm just curious as to anybody else like me? Kev, what do you think?

We have a fine umpire up this way (has worked extended spring training when he lived in AZ) who does the same thing. He has one just to show coaches and such that he DOES in fact carry one. But he doesnt use it... as far as I know.

We don't have to use one.... But... We are required to carry one ....

For purposes of the test... The answer is false...it is not optional.

What one does in practice... Well that's another matter.....lol

Where did you see this?

I have read many posts about BUs not carrying indicators. Quite frankly, I don't care if my partner is not carrying one. But I had a situation last year where I was PU and lost the count after a series of events (including taking a foul ball off the mask). The coach wanted the count, and I was unsure so I went to my partner who was clueless. He didn't feel it was his job to know the count. He definitely didn't have my back that day. So if you're not going to carry an indicator, at least keep your head in the game.

Our instructional chair told us this emphatically...he is not a big fan of an indicator on the bases but, for purposes of compliance ( and the exam) told us that we are required to carry one.

Do you have a Rule Citation?

Maybe it is just a California thing.

No way will I answer False if I get this question. Unless I see the rule which no one has found yet.

Our instructional chair told us this emphatically...he is not a big fan of an indicator on the bases but, for purposes of compliance ( and the exam) told us that we are required to carry one.

No way will I answer False if I get this question. Unless I see the rule which no one has found yet.

It's in the FED manual. The way the books are online I can't copy and paste, but it is there.

It's in the FED manual. The way the books are online I can't copy and paste, but it is there.

Mike,

I did a seacrh of the word indicator and the only place it came up was under PU, like someone previosly said.

Maybe if I search for clicker? :smachhead:

Mike,

I did a seacrh of the word indicator and the only place it came up was under PU, like someone previosly said.

Maybe if I search for clicker? :smachhead:

rth is actually on the right track to get this question correct on the test.

The ICs are given the answers. If his IC says it is so, then it is so.

I found on page 7 of the FED manual where is says the Plate Umpires needs to have an Indicator but can't find anything on the base umpire.

Do you have a page number?

I would say if you are a new or young umpire that you should carry one no matter what position you are in. As you get more experience then you can forget about carrying one on the bases.

I agree but we are trying to answer a FED test question.