Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Touching the Cathers Back?

101 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When working the dish, I will lightly touch the catchers back with the finger tip of my middle finger.

In a scrimmage yesterday (my first of 2012) my partner told me I should not do this. He said that evaluators don't like it.

Any and all thoughts, please.

Posted · Report post

Touching players, in general, isn't a good idea, and catchers hate it when umpires touch them. I'm able to adjust where I am in the slot using peripheral vision. Peripheral vision also helps when F2 make a last second adjustment where I need to adjust as well.

Posted · Report post

I would advise against touching the catcher whether it is a light touch while going into your squat or resting your hand on their back.

I know some guys use it as a way to gauge their depth, others say it helps them clear the catcher.

I just say using my eyes does the same.

Posted · Report post

Don't touch the catcher. Read above.

Posted · Report post

Agree with everyone on this one. It's not a good habit to get into. As an ex-catcher I don't need a massage and usually umpires try to gauge where catchers are by "almost" touching them. This to can become a problem when a catcher moves unexpectedly and your hand grabs him accidentally. Just find the slot, and adjust with your peripheral vision.

Posted · Report post

Agree with everyone above.

Hands and fingers off.

Posted · Report post

Reasons and advantages to do this do exist, but unless you're working professional baseball, don't do this.

We deal with amateur players at levels much less advanced than the pros in a world of crazy parents and trigger-happy lawyers. Not a good mix.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Reasons and advantages to do this do exist, but unless you're working professional baseball, don't do this.

We deal with amateur players at levels much less advanced than the pros in a world of crazy parents and trigger-happy lawyers. Not a good mix.

amen to that

Posted · Report post

I have never used physical contact with the catcher to do anything. I have only had one collision with a catcher, and it was his fault, not mine. What kind of catcher moves up the third-base line on a fly ball to right field?

Posted · Report post

What kind of catcher moves up the third-base line on a fly ball to right field?

One that wants to plow you over on purpose

Posted · Report post

What kind of catcher moves up the third-base line on a fly ball to right field?

One that wants to plow you over on purpose

Well, he sucked at that, too.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

An excellent example of needlessly touching the catcher:

20110607-angels-vs-rays-hank-conger-catc

Posted · Report post

He's channaling the catcher on the strike. He's too low, not in the slot and touching the catcher, but he is a MLB umpire so who am I to judge?

Posted · Report post

He's channaling the catcher on the strike. He's too low, not in the slot and touching the catcher, but he is a MLB umpire so who am I to judge?

Not fair as it looks like the catcheris moving up to catch the ball...

Posted · Report post

A good reason is this....

If maybe your touching him and the games starts to go the wrong way, he might turn it on you " hey get your hands off my back" then the coach might hear it and it can turn ugly fast...

Posted · Report post

A good reason is this....

If maybe your touching him and the games starts to go the wrong way, he might turn it on you " hey get your hands off my back" then the coach might hear it and it can turn ugly fast...

I have heard that example used before. Totally agree.

Posted · Report post

I know my son despised an umpire touching his back. Many guys feel it hampers their ability to move to block balls. I doubt it does but the first time the catcher tells his coach hisn't digging pitches is because the umpire is on his back it is not going to be good. I've heard different reasons for doing it, I agree with none of them.

Posted · Report post

so I guess this is a mugging ?!? And not in the slot for sure.......

Posted · Report post

The catcher is taking the slot away so he is getting the best look he can.

Posted · Report post

The catcher is taking the slot away so he is getting the best look he can.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Cuzzi is often out of the slot, and is often on the outside of the catcher. He also "hugs" the catcher as well .......

Posted · Report post

The only time I touch the catcher is in the first inning for warmups so I can get behind him and see how he sets and what I need to do to move correctly. I also do during warmups if there is a catcher change. Even then, I am doing it just barely, to get a feel for the catcher. I usually inform him too, while hes taking warmups. Its normally part of my conversation that includes questions like : "Whats your pitcher got today?" and we discuss what his pitcher throws.

Posted · Report post

As a former catcher that HATED when umps would touch me, i don't place my hand on a catcher's back. the only times i will touch a catcher is when i shake his hand at introductions, or if he moves inside late.

Posted · Report post

I agree with not touching the catcher. I just don't see any reason for that. But it doesn't bother me when others do it. When I do have a partner that does it I mention it at post game and leave it at that.

Just my opinion.

Posted · Report post

I think we've wrapped this one up! Good stuff fellas.

Posted · Report post

I think we've wrapped this one up! Good stuff fellas.

Things are slow and not much to talk about. Season is starting next week for me!!!! YAY!!!!!!