Showing a three ball count

cbiesecker
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4412 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think I found the one your referring to. Is it the correct one.

BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0'>http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UC5-BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0

grayhawk, do you hold on to it or leave it in your bag?

That being said, I use--and love--the heaviest, most durable, most expensive all-steel indicator there is:

. t_107.jpg

Just how heavy is it... :fuel:

I use this indicator as well. I've never weighed it, but I couldn't believe how heavy it was when I got it in the mail. Let's just say this - if you were to hit a coach in the head with it, he would likely be unconscious. It comes notched, and only goes up to 3 balls, 2 strikes and 2 outs - faster to zero out.

I use it also. It is heavy, hurts your fingers, and will blind you when the sun reflects off of it.

Pete

I think I found the one your referring to. Is it the correct one.

http://www.ump-attir...oduct_Code=UC5-BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0

grayhawk, do you hold on to it or leave it in your bag?

I hold onto it. I also use the middle, ring and pinkie to show 3 balls. Not sure why I would keep it in my ball bag - seems like a pain to have to reach in to update it between pitches. With the notches, I don't have to look at it. I know the count most of the time, but if someone asks and I want to refer to it, a quick squeeze of the fingers and I have it. I give the count pretty often, starting with the second pitch of the at-bat all the way to 3-2. I probably give it too often, but it keeps it fresh in my mind and coaches/players rarely have to ask.

Mike, as far as balls and strikes being backwards - I guess it's what you are used to. I know when I first started, it drove me crazy that the cheap indicators showed srtikes and balls in that order when we give the count the opposite. But since I learned with the cheap ones, it would take some doing to use an indicator that was in the reverse order.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat. I used one like it for years that had 4 balls, 3 strikes but I liked the feel. I finally went to a three ball/two strike counter and had to retrain myself to use it. I could easily go back. Does the notches hurt your fingers?

I am in the same boat. I used one like it for years that had 4 balls, 3 strikes but I liked the feel. I finally went to a three ball/two strike counter and had to retrain myself to use it. I could easily go back. Does the notches hurt your fingers?

They don't hurt your fingers, but they take some getting used to. The "1" on balls, strikes and outs is kind of sharp, but it makes it easy to "read" it with your fingers. The "2" on balls is unique and the "3" for balls and "2" for strikes feels the same, so it's very clear when the count is full. "0" on both is easy to tell too. It takes a little while to instinctively know the count by feeling it, but when you do, it's a valuable tool.

Or you could look at your indicator. :mellow:

The whole complaint many have with carrying an indicator is guys get enamored with looking at them. I have always advocated notching the wheels so you don't look. This is the first time I have seen one manufactured with notches.

They don't hurt your fingers, but they take some getting used to. The "1" on balls, strikes and outs is kind of sharp, but it makes it easy to "read" it with your fingers. The "2" on balls is unique and the "3" for balls and "2" for strikes feels the same, so it's very clear when the count is full. "0" on both is easy to tell too. It takes a little while to instinctively know the count by feeling it, but when you do, it's a valuable tool.

Can you take photos of how all the numbers are notched? I'd love to try it out myself, but have only seen examples of ones notched only on the zeros.

Can you take photos of how all the numbers are notched? I'd love to try it out myself, but have only seen examples of ones notched only on the zeros.

Here you go:

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who like metal indicators, the best ones are the old ones. Dump that 4 position thing and get on ebay and buy yourself an old metal indicator. None on there as of now, but they show up on a fairly regular basis.

How did I lose track of this thread?

The indicator Hawk and Pete and I use and love is now available at BC&Category_Code=UMPIRE-INDICATORS&Product_Count=0'>Ump Attire and also at Lester's Upstate Sports which is where I got mine. It's all-metal, right down to the wheels, and has a chrome finish. It bears the All-Star brand. I bought three of them, so I can have one in the car and two in the bag. I also carry an old Markwort to lend to a needy partner.

I love working it in a pocket in my ball bag, because it is so heavy, it never flies out. (Once I stopped holding a previous indicator in my hand and started working it out of my ball bag, I never looked back. Now, I would never hold it in my hand again, especially since it's readable without taking it out.)

I was taught a couple years ago to use the index, middle, and pinky fingers (holding indicator between thumb and ring finger. Reasoning behind that was apparently when I was younger, the way I did it then (index, middle, ring) made it look like my fingers were just bunched together.

This is how I have always done it. Our advanced clinic however teaches middle, ring, pinky.

No fist for 3-2 and definitely no "hook 'em horns" for any reason - ever!

I was taught a couple years ago to use the index, middle, and pinky fingers (holding indicator between thumb and ring finger. Reasoning behind that was apparently when I was younger, the way I did it then (index, middle, ring) made it look like my fingers were just bunched together.

This is how I have always done it. Our advanced clinic however teaches middle, ring, pinky.

No fist for 3-2 and definitely no "hook 'em horns" for any reason - ever!

Our trainer does the horns for two outs. I always have issues with this cause, damn it, it looks like one

When I had hand surgery the Dr explained how the hand works. Onre thing is that the ring and pinky fingers are not totally independent of each other when it come to moving them. That's why one has to use the thumb to hold the pinky down when trying to signal 3 or to give a scout sign/salute.

Therefore signaling 3 with middle-ring-pinky is physically easier.

How do BB refs signal a three point shot? The ones I've actuall noticed use middle-ring-pinky.