Register or Sign In to remove these ads
bbman

goes to his mouth

bbman    10

Foul ball, dead ball. Pitcher recieves a new ball. While off the rubber, goes to his mouth, then directly to ball, then engages the rubber. PU then says 'play'.

Do you have anything?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Rich Ives    956

Foul ball, dead ball. Pitcher recieves a new ball. While off the rubber, goes to his mouth, then directly to ball, then engages the rubber. PU then says 'play'.

Do you have anything?

You have to clearly wipe first.

Warn.

mstaylor    1,504

The umpire should never put the ball in play in this situation. What he is seeing is the pitcher gets the ball, wets his fingers and goes straight to the ball. At that point he should come out, take the ball back, give him another and warn not to go to the ball without wiping.

If he didn't see it to take it away then he wouldn't see it to call an illegal pitch.

jnazz    11

In MLB he can go to his mouth on the mound (as long as he's not on the rubber) but I don't believe it has filtered down yet. So, must be off mound and must wipe. And, the first offence is a warning and I believe followed by ejection.

mstaylor    1,504

I defaulted to Fed, it does make a difference in different books. No matter if it is a league that is illegal in, don't put the ball in play.

Rich Ives    956

In MLB he can go to his mouth on the mound (as long as he's not on the rubber) but I don't believe it has filtered down yet. .

It's in the published 2010 rules.