Register or Sign In to remove these ads
bbman

interfers with throw

bbman    10

Runner on third, no outs. Batter has a 0-2 count on him. Swinging drop third strike, runner on third tries to go home. B/R hanging around in front of the plate, interfers with throw from catcher.

What have we got?

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
jnazz    11

Hmmm..... First of all, if you deem the batter/runner was interfering to break up the double play (in this case the play at the plate and the following throw to first or tag of batter/runner) then both are out. If you deem no double play possibility, batter/runner out and runner back to third (since in your situation the runner wasn't stealing on the pitch or squeeze). But I would think it would be a double play situation, since the batter/runner is still standing at the plate.

catsbackr    373

Was the BR put out? If so, you have a retired BR "hanging around" home plate. Interference, double play. If not, interference, dead ball (Fed), double play.

Umpire in Chief    1,370

HTBT but if I judge the batter actively interfering, definitely a double play.

Without the actively interfering I've got the BR out R3 returns, because the Batter on the D3K still has the right to attempt to 3rd and is not out until he is put out.

With a clean catch of K3, I've definitely got the batter out on strikes and R3 out on the interference.

D62 blue    32

Runner on third, no outs. Batter has a 0-2 count on him. Swinging drop third strike, runner on third tries to go home. B/R hanging around in front of the plate, interfers with throw from catcher.

What have we got?

you have a dp , br for the interference and r3 out for the br actions . this hurts the offense the most . if already had two outs , br out on the interference , and r3 doesnt score no matter what, inning over .

kwiggie    10

Play is allowed to run itself out, if the tag is made at home on r3 then the interference is ignored. If b2 is still hanging around home plate the dt should be able to make the throw down to first for out #2. If the out on r3 is not made then kill the play and issue outs starting with r3 and move on with another out on the b1 if there was a legitany chance of a double-up on him.

mstaylor    1,504

Play is allowed to run itself out, if the tag is made at home on r3 then the interference is ignored. If b2 is still hanging around home plate the dt should be able to make the throw down to first for out #2. If the out on r3 is not made then kill the play and issue outs starting with r3 and move on with another out on the b1 if there was a legitany chance of a double-up on him.

I believe that is not correct. The batter is out on strikes so it is no longer a BI but an interference by another teammate. The ball is dead on the interference and R3 would be out. What do you think?

kwiggie    10

I believe that is not correct. The batter is out on strikes so it is no longer a BI but an interference by another teammate. The ball is dead on the interference and R3 would be out. What do you think?

This is what I am going on,

fed 7.3. art 5 cd penalty: "When there are not 2 outs and the runner is advancing home, if the runner is tagged out interference is ignored. Otherwise, the ball is dead and the runner is called out." I got to interp this as a delayed dead ball sit. yn?

Penalty: "If the pitch is a third strike and in the umpire's judgement interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs), two may be ruled out."

The only thing that I would disagree with in the given situation described is that b2 is not inherently out due to the fact that 1st base is open to advance to.

Please, fill in the blanks Mstaylor this one has got me thinking!

noumpere    2,413

I believe that is not correct. The batter is out on strikes

In the OP, the batter was not out on strikes (the third strike was dropped and first was open).

What have we got?

I think he/she answered their own question.

"Interfers with the throw from catcher."

Batter/Runner is out for interference and R3 goes back. Does not matter which Rule book you reference they are all the same result and rule.

The only difference Fed makes is that they do not kill the play right away but wait to see if another out can be made on R3.

JaxRolo    3,190

I think he/she answered their own question.

"Interfers with the throw from catcher."

Batter/Runner is out for interference and R3 goes back. Does not matter which Rule book you reference they are all the same result and rule.

The only difference Fed makes is that they do not kill the play right away but wait to see if another out can be made on R3.

with less than 2 outs R3 is out.

Not sure what you do with the BR in this case.

FED Baseball allows for one the other or both being called Out depending on the situation. If you feel that it was intentional interference by batter then you can call R3 and Batter out.

In SB the play is killed and R3 is returned to 3rd base and the batter is out.