Notching Indicators

Chance
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5173 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I will not revive other posts about indicators and when or when not carry them. :crazy:. My simple question is this: I am wondering how you guys notch your indicators, i realize weather you notch it at the zero or every number is personal preference. But if someone could help out a rookie with a simple picture it would answer my question.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not revive other posts about indicators and when or when not carry them. :crazy:. My simple question is this: I am wondering how you guys notch your indicators, i realize weather you notch it at the zero or every number is personal preference. But if someone could help out a rookie with a simple picture it would answer my question.

most people notch them on the zero so you can know when it is back...

I have never notched mine.. i just take a quick look after some one hits or is put out.

I notch it at zero only; the reason for that is (aside from personal preference) is that if a new batter is coming up, I don't have to bother with a look at it, I can just click until my notch is there and I'm good to go.

BTW: I never look down at my indicator; if I need to check the count or outs, I'll bring my hand up to my mask to adjust the mask, and I can get a quick glance without taking my eyes off the field for more than a moment; that way my head is still up at field level and I can see any movement that might be taking place out there.

It takes about 15 seconds to notch it at zero with a Dremel. I won't have to look at it more than 2-3 times a game.

Heh - it takes about 15 minutes for me to dig out the Dremel and set it up with the right grinding wheel.

It took about 15 seconds after grabbing a plain ol' flat file off the bench.

Now, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a Dremel or other suitable power tool, and you happen to be married, then this is your reason to go out and buy a new power tool. You can never have too many power tools.

:crazy:

Heh - it takes about 15 minutes for me to dig out the Dremel and set it up with the right grinding wheel.

It took about 15 seconds after grabbing a plain ol' flat file off the bench.

Now, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a Dremel or other suitable power tool, and you happen to be married, then this is your reason to go out and buy a new power tool. You can never have too many power tools.

:)

I can hear it now:

"But, Honey, I need this Dremel to notch my indicators!"

"Why can't you just buy one of those super-expensive All-Star indicators from Lester's Upstate Sports that's already notched?"

t_107.jpg

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/3-Ball-2-Strike-2-Out-Metal-Indicator-w-Grooved-Wheels-p-107.html

This thing's not for everybody, but it's the greatest as far as I'm concerned. It's so heavy that it sinks to the bottom of your pocket or pouch and stays put. And the notches have a pattern, and once you familiarize yourself with it, you never need to look at it to reset it.

It was the tool I used to become indicator independent.

P.S.: It has the all-important 3 BALL/2 STRIKE/2 OUT configuration.

This thing's not for everybody, but it's the greatest as far as I'm concerned. It's so heavy that it sinks to the bottom of your pocket or pouch and stays put. And the notches have a pattern, and once you familiarize yourself with it, you never need to look at it to reset it.

It was the tool I used to become indicator independent.

P.S.: It has the all-important 3 BALL/2 STRIKE/2 OUT configuration.

Feh. Those are "only" $31 on Ebay.... and they even feature a "score" wheel !:)

I've got one of those steel ones, and the glare off it during day games is, well, exciting. Catch an eyeful o' sun, you're calling everything strikes.

All my plastic indicators have a longer throw back to zero, than any advancing to any other number. It's like a click and a half. I can easily feel them zeroizing

I've got one of those steel ones, and the glare off it during day games is, well, exciting. Catch an eyeful o' sun, you're calling everything strikes.

All my plastic indicators have a longer throw back to zero, than any advancing to any other number. It's like a click and a half. I can easily feel them zeroizing

:rollinglaugh::D

Having it hurt your eyes is yet another reason not to look at your indicator during a ballgame.