I'm a newbie

chrishop80
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4394 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey there friends. So I will be starting out this season with high school ball. I have umpired some rec league softball and been in and around baseball my entire life.

My first question is what are some suggestions on equipment.

My mother-in-law bought me a pair of Smitty combos for christmas along with a ball bag, indicator and plate brush.

So now i need shirts, shoes, a mask, CP, shins and a hat. Anything else?

Thanks. :smachhead:

• Like 1

Welcome!

And I'm glad you have chosen to join the site.

As for equipment it is an investment and treat it as such. Get quality equipment which does cost more treat it well and it will treat you well.

As for a CP I'd recommend any of the West Vest products.

Shoes I'd recommend either the New Balance or Reebok

Hats the Richardson or New Era

Shins - this is where you can go cheap

Mask - There are just too many variables but most umpire masks will do you well.

Take a look at Ump-Attire they will have everything you will need plus will give you the best service you can imagine, if you have questions on a piece of equipment they can either answer it or get an answer for you.

Another question is, where are you located?

While I personally prefer Ump-Attire as Warren has suggested, there are quite a few umpire equipment retailers throughout the country. For example, Gerry Davis is located in Appleton, WI. Honigs has many retail stores such as College Station, TX and Santa Fe Springs, CA as well as Salem, OR and many others (they are based out of Michigan). Also some places have local sellers. You just have to ask around.

Oh, one more thing I would take a look at if I were you are combo packages. Most companies have them and it usually gets you the equipment and such at a bit of a discount. Usually around 10% or so.

Edited by BT_Blue
Forgot something... again.

Be sure to check Ebay, too - every now & then you'll find top-quality, gently-used gear at a good price.

And I'll echo what Umpire In Chief says - buy the best gear you can possibly afford, you'll be glad you did (especially if you're working high school).

It's not cheap to get properly outfitted, but you can lighten the load by shoppping around.

Before you buy ANY uniform (pants, shirt, jackets, hats) check with your local association to see if they have any special requirements. That's also another source for getting things you need; sometimes guys sell used stuff.

Have fun! :smachhead:

Don't forget plate shoes, I don't think that was in the list. New Balance and Reebok seem to be the frontrunners right now. Check the gear section on reviews of the various pieces of gear. Buy as good as you can afford and it will last. If you decide to get out, it has a resale value, cheap stuff doesn't. Just remember buying cheap means buying twice. Welcome to the site and we look forward to your experiences.

Thanks for the replies. I am in Utah. Im extremely excited to get back into the sport that I love. Thanks for all the advice. I know it's a bit steep cost wise to get into it but from all that I have read it looks like quality gear will last years.

Also how quickly will a new ump get behind the plate? Will I get stuck on the bases the whole season.

What are realistic expectations for a first year guy ? I know I won't see varsity ball right away but on average what is the timetable to get quality games?

Absolutely depends on your assoc. We try to get guys working plates as soon as possible if they are new to the level. If they have past experience at the SrLL, BR,Colt/Palomino, something of that nature, then we will put them straight behind the plate.

I know when I started in HS I didn't expect to see a plate for the first year. I got my first schedule and I had 5 plates in my first 6 games. I had the advantage in that the assignor already knew me.

Since you are joining HS check with your association before you purchase any equipment. Normally, the umpire association you belong to dictates what type (color) shirts / pants / hats/ jackets you can wear.

Hs has various divisions meaning the modified (mostly 7th/8th graders). Some school districts also have a Freshman program (9th graderes) and then JV and Varsity.

If you are only going to do modified etc. you can purchase a starter package from Honings / Gerry Davis to name a few. Most have starter packages and they are not that expensive around the $200.00 or $250.00. range.

As you advance then you can "add on" or improve your equipment.

If money is not an issue then by all means get one of the top of the line CP's for maximum protection, mask and shin guards.

Pete Booth

Edited by PeteBooth

Welcome Chris. I too was a newbie last year in high school. I did plate work right away. Listen to these gentlemen about the equipment. I did and I'm glad I did. You won't regret it. I think I could have gotten a varsity game but I myself chose not to try for that. I wanted to get more experience. But like others have stated, all depends on your association.

• 3 weeks later...

This year will be my first as a high school umpire, I worked several junior high games back in August. I have been on site several times, thought I would take this opportunity with the new year to post.

I live in Central Illinois and currently have a decent pair of Champro shinguards, Champro cp, Honig's heather gray combo slacks, Richardson mesh fitted and flex hats, Diamond face mask.

I 'm thinking I need to upgrade cp for high school baseball. I plan on upgrading to Reebok Field Magistrate plate shoe black/black along with matching base shoe. Reeboks fit me well in both football and basketball, so I

tried on a pair of my buddys Field Magistrates and it was a no brainer.

There are a couple areas regarding quipment I wanted to get some feedback on and they are an equipment bag, i.e. rolling versus carrying by handles and

how many different colors of shirts should I plan on starting out with.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Strike 3, welcome to the site. There are some good gear guys here that will be willing to lend a hand, There are many existing gear threads that you miight want to check out to head you in the right directions. A lot depends on body type and umpiring style. Check Ump-Attire's site, Jim is a good supplier. Cat-sports.com is a good CP supplier.

The number and color of shirts depends on your group. Most default to dark blue with black as a back-up. Other colors are a matter of matching and can be addded as the season goes on.

Edited by mstaylor

This year will be my first as a high school umpire, I worked several junior high games back in August. I have been on site several times, thought I would take this opportunity with the new year to post.

I live in Central Illinois and currently have a decent pair of Champro shinguards, Champro cp, Honig's heather gray combo slacks, Richardson mesh fitted and flex hats, Diamond face mask.

I 'm thinking I need to upgrade cp for high school baseball. I plan on upgrading to Reebok Field Magistrate plate shoe black/black along with matching base shoe. Reeboks fit me well in both football and basketball, so I

tried on a pair of my buddys Field Magistrates and it was a no brainer.

There are a couple areas regarding quipment I wanted to get some feedback on and they are an equipment bag, i.e. rolling versus carrying by handles and

how many different colors of shirts should I plan on starting out with.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Regarding shirts: Go with what your local association uses. Quite often, either the association or the state level will dictate policy, so don't buy anything until you've learned what the local association custom is for your area.

The same goes for hats, too - it's quite common for the local and/or state association to dictate what is used. And as a personal side note, I would urge you to stay away from the mesh hats. (Unless, of course, your state/local association uses them).

As soon as financially practical, I would upgrade to plate pants and base pants. The idea here is that you should always dress and appear as though you're already set for the next level of ball. e.g., if you are working junior high games now, dress as though you're ready for 5A varsity games. Again, talk to your local 'big dogs' in your association about what they require / recommend. (Note the trend here... talk to the local association). You might even get lucky and find some good deals on gear that other guys are selling when they are changing/upgrading. Trying stuff on first is always a good idea, and if it can be done right at an association meeting, so much the better! Good luck!

Never go cheap on your gear brother. That being said, shop around. You'd be surprised at what you can find on eBay and Craigslist. I have found that Gerry Davis is more affordable than Honig's. Honig's provides excellent customer service though. Reebok plate shoes are superior to any other plate shoe on the market. The New Balance will tear, two pair here. Make sure your undergear is good as well, so you can look warm when it's cold, but also not look so lumpy. HAve two pairs of everything if you can. Most important, 1)Know your craft and be open to learn something new each game. 2)be on time and 3)Be in shape and look damn good, even if you kick one.

Strike 3, and any other 1st year guys: As a veteran now (cough, 2nd year guy, cough), I would like to point you to these amazing articles by Peter Osborne: http://www.umpire.org/mechanics/

They confirmed everything that my association was trying to teach me. I say trying because in the 2-days it took me to read those articles, I learned what my association taught me over the course of last season. Excellent insight into umpiring, especially behind the plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Never go cheap on your gear brother. That being said, shop around. You'd be surprised at what you can find on eBay and Craigslist. I have found that Gerry Davis is more affordable than Honig's. Honig's provides excellent customer service though. Reebok plate shoes are superior to any other plate shoe on the market. The New Balance will tear, two pair here. Make sure your undergear is good as well, so you can look warm when it's cold, but also not look so lumpy. HAve two pairs of everything if you can. Most important, 1)Know your craft and be open to learn something new each game. 2)be on time and 3)Be in shape and look damn good, even if you kick one.

I'm making a point to brent's first statement. The way I have referenced (and will most likely continue referencing in the future) your gear goes something like this. I'm sure that you've heard "you get what you pay for". Well, I used to race motorcycles and equate this to motorcycle helmets. You see the little $25 "the law says I have to wear one" helemts on sale at the flea market, all they way up to $400+ "full face, form fitting cushioned, measured and fitted specifically to your head for maximum protection" helmets custom ordered. Which would perform better in an accident? If you want your grape splattered all down the road, cheap is the way to go. Conversely, I'd contradict myself with the most expensive isn't "always" the best. You have to choose what fits, protects & performs at the level you will be umpiring.

I have to go now, the voices are calling me again........:smachhead:

Well, I used to race motorcycles and equate this to motorcycle helmets. You see the little $25 "the law says I have to wear one" helemts on sale at the flea market, all they way up to $400+ "full face, form fitting cushioned, measured and fitted specifically to your head for maximum protection" helmets custom ordered. Which would perform better in an accident?

Never, never scrimp on a motorcycle helmet. I also raced in the desert and rode on the street. I also had a pick up truck hit he virtually head on. Injuries: Broken foot and finger. Head was saved and helmet was "Cracked". Imagine what would have happened without a helmet or a very cheap one.. Hobbled out of hospital, on crutches, 4 hours after hauled in by ambulance. Insurance repaired bike and replaced helmet. No cracks in skull, Priceless :HD:

Always get the best you possibly can. It is like insurance, you pay (invest) and hope you never have to use it. :)

• 1 month later...

No Cup get a Nutty Buddy..protect the boys

I agree - got a Nutty Buddy last year, probably one of the best investments I've made. Check out their web site (just Google it). They have a video of the inventor taking a fastball from a pitching machine right in the jewels. Very impressive.

• 2 years later...

Hey there friends. So I will be starting out this season with high school ball. I have umpired some rec league softball and been in and around baseball my entire life.

My first question is what are some suggestions on equipment.

My mother-in-law bought me a pair of Smitty combos for christmas along with a ball bag, indicator and plate brush.

So now i need shirts, shoes, a mask, CP, shins and a hat. Anything else?

Thanks. :home:

A CUP. NEVER FORGET A CUP. I don't care what level of ball you do, WEAR A CUP. Remember, it's better to wear it and not need it than need it and NOT wear it. :no: