Base shoes?

hckyosgood30
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3889 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know that all of us have our own personal preferences when it comes to base shoes. Either because we have wide, narrow feet, or have a preference on brand. I know that personally in the last few season I've gone through several different shoes. From the New Balance 350's to the new 995 which i didn't like. Then switching over the Reeboks and then now finally settling on the Nike Air Max+. So I guess my purpose for this thread is to see what shoes you guys like, as well as what goes into your decision on which shoes to buy. Do you care about how much white is on the shoe, how much grip and or cushioning, is it popular with the mass, or is it all leather vs synthetic or mesh......????

So what is it that makes a great base shoe to you? And what goes into your decision making?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started using a Nike running shoe. They are really comfortable. I have used an Under armor running for football, The UA you can't put a shine on them, I just use them for youth and under class. I have found that a running shoe is the most comfortable shoe for officiating outdoor sports.

I prefer the Reebok Field Magistrate base shoes.

I wore the NB 350's forever, until I couldn't find them anymore.

The Reeboks are great, I love the traction and do actually like the look with the white stripes. I have the plate shoes also.

I know that all of us have our own personal preferences when it comes to base shoes. Either because we have wide, narrow feet, or have a preference on brand. I know that personally in the last few season I've gone through several different shoes. From the New Balance 350's to the new 995 which i didn't like. Then switching over the Reeboks and then now finally settling on the Nike Air Max+. So I guess my purpose for this thread is to see what shoes you guys like, as well as what goes into your decision on which shoes to buy. Do you care about how much white is on the shoe, how much grip and or cushioning, is it popular with the mass, or is it all leather vs synthetic or mesh......????

So what is it that makes a great base shoe to you? And what goes into your decision making?

First ... do you have a pic of your Air Max+ ?

Comfort is key, and I personally like white on my shoes. I also prefer (like most) to have material that's cleanable, (not mesh) ..you know the drill. Last year I used the 3n2 shoe and customized the logo in white. Comfy, but not quite enough white for me. This year I used the Nike Air Elite Pregame and really like them. Comfy, sharp, and had just enough 'nubs' on the sole for traction!

I prefer the Reebok Field Magistrate base shoes.

I wore the NB 350's forever, until I couldn't find them anymore.

The Reeboks are great, I love the traction and do actually like the look with the white stripes. I have the plate shoes also.

t 1.

I quit wearing New Balance shoes when both the field and plate shoes came unglued. I have talked to many that have had the same issues. I love my Reebok plate shoes.

In terms of comfort I love my Reebok Field Magistrates, but the nubs have significantly worn down just over the one season - and my lightest season ever in terms of games. I found this disappointing. And yes, I did avoid wearing them on concrete as much as possible, but being an amateur and the walks from the "locker room" to the field is some times unavoidable.

I may look into something different for the future.

I really liked the NB 350's, but was not a fan of the 995s from the first time I saw them.

In terms of comfort I love my Reebok Field Magistrates, but the nubs have significantly worn down just over the one season - and my lightest season ever in terms of games. I found this disappointing. And yes, I did avoid wearing them on concrete as much as possible, but being an amateur and the walks from the "locker room" to the field is some times unavoidable.

This is the only thing I'm worried about wearing my Reeboks. They are light, comfortable, and I love the look. I want to try a Mizuno next, and I'm not too fond of any NBs soon. The sole looks too flat.

I have worn the all black Mizuno Wave Trainer G4 for a couple of seasons and I really like them. They are light, comfortable, durable, take a shine well (Murphys Oil Soap and water cleans them nicely) and have great traction. I highly recommend this shoe. I ordered a half size up and this was fine for me.

I have worn the all black Mizuno Wave Trainer G4 for a couple of seasons and I really like them. They are light, comfortable, durable, take a shine well (Murphys Oil Soap and water cleans them nicely) and have great traction. I highly recommend this shoe. I ordered a half size up and this was fine for me.

I can vouch for the Mizuno Wave Trainer. I really liked them.

I currently use the Nike Air Max 2010+ love these shoes. They have great traction clean up nice, and weigh very very little. The picture is of this years newer version, and the link below is of the 2010's

http://www.eastbay.c...EYWORD%20SEARCH

And you have the ones in the link, or the picture posted?

ON EDIT...forget it, I understand what you have....thanks for that link...

• 1 year later...

I have a couple different options that I like to wear when on the bases.

If I am working on a tight/sharp field I like to rock the Nike's below, just the right amount of white and the black has a little shine to it so they look pretty sharp. The soles give more than enough traction for a well manicured field.

The 3n2 are for nights where the field is beat/muddy really dewy...they have great traction and are easy to clean-up for the next night.

I find both to be quite comfortable when ordering a half-size up from the norm due to the fact that my feet swell like crazy in the summer.

I was wearing the New Balance 995s but those died an honorable death on a nasty, muddy football field this last fall.

I have two pairs of Adidas Turf Hogs for football, which have some great traction and the right amount of white IMO. I started wearing a pair of them for the bases this season and I really like them. Lightweight and comfortable with a mesh and synthetic upper. They clean up pretty well with a murphy's oil/ water mixture, too.

1781427-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

My football crew went with these this year which I think would also work quite well on the diamond.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Item=1538&Sub=9

I have been using the Reebok Field Magistrate for both plate and basework for 2-3 years. Very light and seem to hold up well. I like the white on the shoe, but it takes a little work to keep it white, especially after working some of these spring games.  They seem to break in quickly - I did have to order a half size larger than my regular shoe size. Plate shoes and base shoes have the same comfort.

My former plate shoes were +POS and they weighed a ton and seemed to bind occasionally.

I have worn Nike and New Balance in the past and the best shoe for me so far has been the Reebok.

I wear NB 696 turf shoes and the NB base shoes the MLB umpires wear. Also wear the NB plate shoes. I love white on the shoes. Just ordered a pair of Under Armour baseball yard trainers after I found out that they were actually true to size. I try to get new base shoes every year as the old dogs take a beating. Your feet deserve for you to spend at least $70.00 a year to take care of them.

• 4 months later...

Comfort is key, and I personally like white on my shoes. I also prefer (like most) to have material that's cleanable, (not mesh) ..you know the drill. Last year I used the 3n2 shoe and customized the logo in white. Comfy, but not quite enough white for me. This year I used the Nike Air Elite Pregame and really like them. Comfy, sharp, and had just enough 'nubs' on the sole for traction!

@Thunderheads  I constantly look for the Air max shoes you had in the thread where you posted the picture of your organized vehicle.  If you come across them again especially in a size 10 would you be will to PM to let me know where you find them.

@Thunderheads  I constantly look for the Air max shoes you had in the thread where you posted the picture of your organized vehicle.  If you come across them again especially in a size 10 would you be will to PM to let me know where you find them.

@codyloe15;  Cody, I simply searched ebay every day for a while during the offseason, that's all I can suggest really......  good luck, they're out there, just be diligent

I have worn many brands over the years. I wore NB 350s and liked them but nothing lasts forever. I hated the 995s, sent them back right out of the box. I currently wear 3n2s and am happy. I hate white of any kind on my shoes and have the al black version. I also have a 13AAAA foot so the other brands are not even an option.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />